Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
There is a state law that makes recording audio illegal without the consent of both parties. The Allegheny County DA has attempted to prosecute people tape recording police during arrests with that law.
I remember that and the case got thrown out with the help of the ACLU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
There is a state law that makes recording audio illegal without the consent of both parties. The Allegheny County DA has attempted to prosecute people tape recording police during arrests with that law.
bush overroad all laws with the lovely Patriot Act. Those laws are toast. The government can do as they please with really no cause at all. We have totally lost all our freedoms when bush was in office. The Patriot Act has continued with obama, so he is no better. Hey, we send $50 cans of coke over to Afghanistan, because that is how they hide our silly military budget.

Ah well, what can anyone do? We have poverty everywhere, people losing their homes, education cuts, yet we have one huge military industrial complex.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:07 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,611 times
Quote:
Fortunately it's legal to record the police while they're on the job, thanks to the Supreme Court.

The Volokh Conspiracy » First Amendment Right to Openly Record Police Officers in Public (random result via a Google search, feel free to do your own investigation if you need more)

Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Default red-light cameras

instead of creating another thread, i figured i would recycle and bump this one...

Pa. bill allowing red-light cameras in Pittsburgh passes - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

red-light cameras will be allowed in Pittsburgh.

there are a number of comments at that link, but im waiting for the backlash AFTER (and IF) they are installed and used here (because most people do not keep abreast with issues like this until it adversely affects them but boy will they be surprised).

even though to some this is a huge deal with a lot of ethical implications, i have mixed feelings about red-light cameras. but i would not mind them. a good friend's mother was killed by someone who ran a red light (in another city). ive been nabbed by a speed camera in other cities, so its not like i havent fallen victim to any penalties. i would grudgingly welcome them. there is debate to come, im sure.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
instead of creating another thread, i figured i would recycle and bump this one...

Pa. bill allowing red-light cameras in Pittsburgh passes - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

red-light cameras will be allowed in Pittsburgh.

there are a number of comments at that link, but im waiting for the backlash AFTER (and IF) they are installed and used here (because most people do not keep abreast with issues like this until it adversely affects them but boy will they be surprised).

even though to some this is a huge deal with a lot of ethical implications, i have mixed feelings about red-light cameras. but i would not mind them. a good friend's mother was killed by someone who ran a red light (in another city). ive been nabbed by a speed camera in other cities, so its not like i havent fallen victim to any penalties. i would grudgingly welcome them. there is debate to come, im sure.
I will only (grudgingly) be for them if there are large count-down timers in plain view from all directions in each intersection that has one. As for speed cameras... F NO!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:55 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Many studies show no meaningful decrease in accidents (and sometimes an increase due to people stopping abruptly if they see a light starting to turn yellow) when red light cameras are installed. Revenue to the areas & the companies with the cameras installed do however see a marked increase.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:21 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Many studies show no meaningful decrease in accidents (and sometimes an increase due to people stopping abruptly if they see a light starting to turn yellow) when red light cameras are installed. Revenue to the areas & the companies with the cameras installed do however see a marked increase.
Do you have citations for those studies? The Federal Highway Administration has a whole bunch of positive studies listed on its website and says "Automated red-light enforcement using cameras has shown to be effective in reducing the incidence of red-light running and the number of red-light running crashes."

Personally I'd like to see any evidence that Pittsburgh Police are willing to enforce traffic laws in the city. I'm really tired of seeing drivers constantly ignore rules and never get cited for it.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I think I am in the "give up" mode when it comes to our rights. It is over. We live in an industrial military complex and there is no stopping it. We all know it is true and really accept it. Since 9/11 the fuel started and people became totally excepting of the government from top to bottom to trample on our rights. ALL seem to be okay with it. Like I said, there is no stopping it, so let it happen. Cameras everywhere, drones above our heads flying around and just really looking in our homes. They have the technology to scan us at airports, so they will look in our homes while we are asleep. I feel that the majority is okay with it due to the fear mongering that is never-ending. That being said, cameras are fine. Do whatever you like government. We are powerless anyway. At least a General in the military warned us of our future. He sure was a wise man.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Best case from what I've seen over the years is a decrease in side impact accidents with a corresponding increase in rear ends (when people stop sooner for the light).

Red light cameras are a money-making scheme though. The best way to increase side impact safety at a signaled intersection is to increase the delay between the one direction turning red and the other turning green. Increasing the yellow time by a second also seems to help a little.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
People need to be aware of when it's safe to slide through a freshly red light (say, if it's less safe to slam on the brakes than to keep on going, depending on surrounding traffic) and when to stop at a yellow - maybe the yellow is too short to allow for a safe stop, or because of road curvature and no advance warning signal the driver doesn't have enough time to safely respond. Sometimes the light may turn red while the driver is underneath it. If someone is a poor driver in the first place, are they going to become a better one because of a camera? I really doubt it. Are they proven to improve safety? No.

If I ever get a ticket in the mail I'll send back a picture of a pile of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh