Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM

10 posts, read 47,229 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm from South Jersey, right outside of Philly and very unfamiliar with NW PA. I have an interview for a job located in New Castle, PA and I was looking into the area. I have 2 small kids, a 6 year old and a 9 month old. So schools are very important to me. So is safety.

Also, my husband can do all sorts of work but generally works as a machine operator (front end loader) or in warehouse positions.

Is there work for him that way? And what would be a good place for him to start looking for work, and us to start looking to live?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,769 times
Well I'm not from New Castle & it seems like to truly know New Castle one has to be from New Castle IMO... Although I can tell you that some areas like around the housing projects are rough and gang affiliated. Even while there are apparently some areas that are bad, yet are not affiliated with gangs but filled with dope-dealers & traffickers. It seems to me that the are "good", safe parts and "bad", unsafe one's and the difference is drastically different.

PS-Again I'm not a New Castle resident

Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 AM

10 posts, read 47,229 times
Thanks for the info. Are you familiar with that area at all? I dont mind having to drive up to 30/45 minutes to work in New Castle if I found a good town with good schools for my kids. I'm having a hard time figuring out good locations though. Not sure where to search.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:25 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,861 times
I hope someone chimes in with more knowledge. I have not heard great things about New Castle, but that does not mean there aren't nice areas. I have heard good things about Zelienople 35 minutes away, so you may want to consider looking there. It's in the Seneca Valley school district.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
I would choose Zelie over New Castle, to be sure.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
I grew up just outside of New Castle in Neshannock Twp in the 60s and 70s. At the time, it was a vibrant little city with a lot of heavy industry, good jobs, and healthy downtown. The de-industrialization of the 1980s took its toll on the city, and it now has about half the population from 1950. However, the surrounding townships are very nice and all have separate small school districts. Many people, believe it or not, work in Cranberry or the Pittsburgh airport area and there is a commuter bus with many daily runs to downtown Pittsburgh. Try lookinig in Neshannock or Shenago townships or the "North Hill" area of New Castle proper. It's a little down on its luck right now, but there are still very good people there.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:06 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,295 times
Haha, maybe people will feel like I'm stabbing them in the back by mentioning this on the PA forum, but you're not far from the Youngstown OH area either.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM

16 posts, read 30,603 times
I would also look into the Hermitage/West Middlesex area of Mercer County. It would be about 15 miles from New Castle down I think what is now I-376 (old 60). Hermitage has good schools from what I can remember and is in a nice sized chuck of cities and towns that form the Shenango Valley - which probably has maybe 45,000 people (don't know the current numbers). I know people who commute from this area all the way to Pittsburgh, so to New Castle it would not be a big deal. I find it very lovely in this area. It is about equal distance to Pittsburgh and Cleveland, so cultural amenities are never too far away. Plus, it is right next to Youngstown, OH, which while has seen much better times, at least allows for decent shopping if you do not feel like driving all the way to one of the bigger cities.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
If you look at the Lawrence county schools, these would be your top three school districts:
1. Neshannock
2. Shenango
3. Wilmington

Avoid New Castle school district. Neshannock is just to the north of New Castle and has a straght shot into New Castle on Route 18. Wilmington is north of Neshannock and includes the town of New Wilmington. New Wilmington is a very nice small college town in the middle of Amish country. They drive buggies into the middle of town. Here is a link to a map showing the school districts.

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/MAPS/Education/Intermediate_Unit_Map_Region04.pdf (broken link)

If you don't mind living further from New Castle, the following school districts would be worth considering:
1. Beaver
2. Seneca Valley
3. Grove City
4. Blackhawk

Last edited by villageidiot1; 01-11-2012 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
New Castle, PA, New Castle, PA* Photos, New Castle, PA pictures, A Front-Porch Pennsylvania Town in Amish Country, A small American Town in Renaissance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh