Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 AM

96 posts, read 165,348 times

Advertisements

Is there a cheap artsy community on the North side of the county? North of the Allegheny/Ohio rivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I like Highland Park. Lawrenceville is riddled with crime. Friend of mine just had his business broken into twice in one weekend. You can find something cheapish in Highland Park, but it will be small.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyluvr View Post
Is there a cheap artsy community on the North side of the county? North of the Allegheny/Ohio rivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I like Highland Park. Lawrenceville is riddled with crime. Friend of mine just had his business broken into twice in one weekend. You can find something cheapish in Highland Park, but it will be small.
Neither Highland Park nor Lawrenceville are in the northern part of the county or north of the rivers. I would also hardly consider Highland Park to be "cheap" and "artsy".

To the OP, the northern portions of the county are generally speaking suburban and/or outlying suburban and consist of your typical housing subdivisions, chain restaurants, parking lots, etc. There's not really a viable "town center" in the North Hills beyond West View (which I don't think is "artsy"). Sewickley and Aspinwall both sit north of the rivers, but neither are "cheap". Blawnox is cheaper, but it also doesn't really have an "artsy" vibe. The "river towns" (i.e. Sharpsburg, Etna, and Millvale) are also cheap, but once again they're not artsy. Nothing will really satisfy your criteria, unfortunately.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Highland Park isn't north.

OP, the Mexican War Streets is as close as you'll get.

Harmony, PA is artsy but it's not cheap.

There's Millvale. It's has a reputation for being an artist's haven. You can't really see it, they live there for the low rent, but it's not filled with hip stores or anything like that. But the community supports its artists in various ways. The Artists in Millvale Storefronts Project: http://www.millvalepa.com/AIMS.aspx

Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 AM

96 posts, read 165,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's getting a reputation for being an artists haven but you can't really see it, they just sort of live there.
That is what I am looking for. Once the place gets a rep, then the rich yuppies move in and ruin it. Next thing you know there is a Pottery Barn on the corner.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyluvr View Post
East Allegheny, Troy Hill, Spring Hill, and to a lesser extent Manchester and the Mexican War Streets, may be some neighborhoods to consider. While I wouldn't necessarily consider East Allegheny, Troy Hill, or Spring Hill "artsy communities" they do attract some artists because they're very cheap.

East Allegheny would be the first place I'd look because of the convenience it offers. A grocery store, a few bars, coffee shops, and restaurants, and some other specialty shops are all within a 5 minute walk.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,619 times
Quote:
There's Millvale. It's has a reputation for being an artist's haven. You can't really see it, they live there for the low rent, but it's not filled with hip stores or anything like that.
This would apply to Troy Hill, East Allegheny, and Spring Hill as well.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Millvale is your place. I don't anticipate rich yuppies will move there in your lifetime.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Millvale is your place. I don't anticipate rich yuppies will move there in your lifetime.
Yeah. On second thought Millvale certainly has the most potential to "emerge" into an "artsy" place.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
While we're on the subject of Millvale, they just opened a new micro brewery there. The dudes that run it are quite friendly and the beer is good. I don't know if that counts as "artsy" but it does count as just plain awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh