Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:52 PM

27 posts, read 143,996 times

Advertisements

ive got friends that live in the westside and honestly, i see nothing ghetto bout any areas there, and u never hear bout any crime there except 4 the occasional murder in sheraden, but theres murders everywhere in pgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,434 times
Yeah...I shouldn't have said "Ingram Ave" per se... I was just making the comment that Crafton is better than Sheredan and Sheredan is better than Ingram (regardless of the street), and that Ingram is most definitely in fact becoming quite ghetto- if you define ghetto as a drug-infested, low-property-value, decaying, crime-on-the-increase, part of town. You live "near the shopping center", which is the exact opposite end of the area I was talking about and would fall into that "Crafton is better than Ingram" thing.

Cap

Old 09-07-2007, 11:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
You live "near the shopping center", which is the exact opposite end of the area I was talking about and would fall into that "Crafton is better than Ingram" thing.
Being from the North Hills, I always thought the shopping center was in Crafton anyway.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 PM

141 posts, read 721,963 times
*blushing*, yes, I do live in the nicer part of Ingram. The shopping center literally is the border of Crafton and Ingram. Ingram ave starts Ingram the neighborhood.

Maybe I don't notice the crime in the "bad" parts, or in Sheraden, b/c I have never been there. Have never had any reason to. Honestly, if you are traveling into Fairywood, you are probably there for the wrong reasons, ie illegal activity. So can you blame the neighborhood for anything that happens to you if you are going there to buy drugs in the first place?

The biggest negative I have found with Crafton/Ingram area is the Giant Eagle. Is is sooo ghetto fabulous, one of the few that has never been remodeled. I actually drive all the way to Noblestown Rd to the Shop & Save.

That and the constant DUI checkpoints on W. Carson St. I am not a drinker, and they are such a pain!!

But I do love getting to Steeler games in 12 minutes flat!! I can also get to Robinson Town Center in about 15 mins, the Strip in 10, the airport in 20. It's really convienient for us.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:07 PM

141 posts, read 721,963 times
So, did you buy it? I noticed tonight it's under contract....

Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Being from the North Hills, I always thought the shopping center was in Crafton anyway.
for all intents and purposes, it is. The shopping center is officially on the political boundry (hence the name: Crafton/Ingram Shopping Center), but it is much more indicative and part of Crafton than Ingram. Yet another example of Pittsburgh neighborhoods being divided by physical boundries than political. I think the general population that is familier with the area thinks of Crafton as "more DOWN the hill toward Rt 60, and Ingram as UP the hill toward Elliott and the West End, regardless of what shows up on the map.

Another great example is the aforementioned "Robinson Township"...most people would think of the center of Robinson as being the big-box store mecca that is "Robinson Town Centre" or "The Mall", which is correct. But did you also know Robinson Township officially goes all the way over to the Ohio River and is bordered on the west by Coraopolis? It cuts right between Moon and Kennedy Twp. The mail is even delivered out of Coraopolis' post office.

Cap

Old 10-11-2007, 01:34 PM

10 posts, read 31,714 times
Yea, and some parts of Robinson are serviced by the McKees Rocks, PA 15136 zipcode as well, such as around the Montour High School, Silver Lane areas.

Anyway, Ingram is cool. The Tastee Freeze in Crafton is awesome and the shopping center has a lot of stores. No one pretends to be better there. Just great affordable housing.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolly1325 View Post
Found a nice house on Ingram Ave., but don't know much about the area. Anyone know anything about the area that could help with our decision???

I moved to Ingram 1 year ago. I love it.
the house is wonderful, the neighbors are great.
location is convenient too as well as shopping.
so far have found nothing I do not like except for the fire department siren at all times.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 33,652 times
If for no other reason, move to Ingram because it's Montour schools, which Sheraden (city) and Crafton (Carlynton) are not.

Ghetto? I don't think so...and to say that Sheraden is safer than Ingram is downright funny.

I think you get a lot for your money there... and Crafton's taxes are CRAZY high. Hope this helps!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:39 AM

125 posts, read 398,717 times
I just saw this:
Quote:
I was just making the comment that Crafton is better than Sheredan and Sheredan is better than Ingram (regardless of the street), and that Ingram is most definitely in fact becoming quite ghetto-
I have to disagree. I know people that live in both areas and what goes on there, and Sheraden is definitely worse than Ingram, in my opionion. My friend's grandfather lives in Sheraden and a lot of the people from Broadhead Manor moved onto his street when it shut down, and i haven't heard anything about those residents moving into Ingram. I have driven through both areas at night, and let's just say if my car broke down at night, I would feel way more comfortable in Ingram than Sheraden... not to completely rip on Sheraden, because some parts are pretty nice, but some of it scares me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh