Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

How sad that would be, one of the coolest structures ever built replaced by a stinkin' Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
My biggest rejection to a Wal-Mart on the Civic Arena site is simple...that's prime real estate and has the potential to have much better tenants than a Wal-Mart store. Basic logic if you ask me.
No offense, but it isn't "prime" real estate. It is okay real estate with a huge hill and roads to cross to try and walk into downtown. Lets look at a little example to put things into perspective, shall we? Are the South Side Flats the same price as the Slops? Please stop kidding yourselves. That area is okay, but nothing special. People don't like to walk huge hills and deal with a 6 lane road to try and walk to downtown. Sure some are okay with it, but most hate crap like that. Wish as you may, but all here are going to be disappointed. I know real estate and if they would have used the Arena as a market and made the area really cool and artsy, it might have worked. Best case is a bunch of basic row homes and hopefully a few drugs stores is what is going to be there. Maybe a Target or a Walmart. Sure everyone is dreaming os some great neighborhood, but we aren't growing enough to speculate on such a thing. Not popular, but the truth. Sorry to rain on the parade.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Just read them all. Seems like a variety store like Walmart would be a good fit.

Actually it really would be.

Back in the 70's, low-priced variety stores like Woolworth's, Murphy's and Grant's were what brought most of the throngs to town. Those places are out of business, but Walmart and other large box retailers are their successors in marketing to the hoi polloi.

The Macys' Larimor's and Saks' of this world are fine, but most of the people in the city are looking to save money and get things cheap.

Not everyone can, or even wants to, spend all kinds of cash for their basic living expenses. And that is especially true among folks taking busses from working class kind of areas in the city.

If not Wal-mart, it would be nice to see some Family Dollars or Dollar Generals or Targets in town.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
To make rent Downtown, a discount retailer will likely need to have some crossover appeal with the commuter crowd. That is Target's forte, so I would suggest they are the best bet.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
I was just curious but could anyone see a Walmart or a small variation of it (Target is already in East Liberty) go on the former site of the Civic Arena? There's no major retailer serving the Hill or the vicinity of as far as I know. The only thing I could imagine is the backlash of preservationists and other people if they found out the Civic Arena is being replaced by a Walmart.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
To make rent Downtown, a discount retailer will likely need to have some crossover appeal with the commuter crowd. That is Target's forte, so I would suggest they are the best bet.
So you now agree a variety store could be fit? You are just saying Target, which is another Chinese importer. That is it? All those attacking personal post and now you are saying you accept Target and it meets YOUR approval? Not Walmart, but Target is okay? Whatever Brian. So long as you approve, all is grand. Glad you are okay with the Hill to have some place to shop. Or downtown. Problem is, the subject started by the OP is about Walmart, not Target.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Target has a proven urban store format for city centers:

Target Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes, that is not the same as "a big Super Walmart where the Civic arena was" that would have a "[b]ig parking lot and good visibility" and would be "the center piece" of the Lower Hill redevelopment.

That obvious point made, this thread was originally not about Walmart's supercenters, but rather their Neighborhood Markets concept, which is a form of grocery store that is a fraction of the size of their supercenters. The notion one of those could locate Downtown is less obviously the bitter rantings of a person who can't let the Civic Arena issue go, but as I noted before, I only think that could possibly work in the near future Downtown if they planned to offer fresh prepared foods for the lunch crowd.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
I've been to the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market in Chicago, and as a Wal-Mart hater myself, I'd LOVE to have one these in downtown Pittsburgh. Anywhere!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Then again, what the hell. Replacing the Civic Arena with a Wal-Mart can't be any worse than replacing the Syria Mosque with a parking lot.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I've been to the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market in Chicago, and as a Wal-Mart hater myself, I'd LOVE to have one these in downtown Pittsburgh. Anywhere!
That doesn't look bad. But what is a Neighborhhod Market, as opposed to a Super Walmart? Is it just a grocery store. It looks a bit small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh