Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 PM

60 posts, read 64,322 times

Advertisements

I have a college degree.
I have several years of job experience.
I have outstanding samples of my work, all posted to my Web site.
I have a pleasant, upbeat, friendly attitude.
I have a great work ethic.
I have no criminal record.
I don't use drugs, smoke or even drink.

But I can't even get an interview.

If you are a professional in the Pittsburgh area, how did you get your job?

Share your insight with me, so I don't have to pack it in and move on.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
What kind of degree? You can't even get an interview?? Geeze, my brother has been struggling to find a better job (although he is employed) for a year or so but he's had many interviews. He just had two last week with National City.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
I get e-mails DAILY from people all over the country, some with promising news and some not. My best advice for you is to simply start sending out e-mails. Pick some companies in Pittsburgh who you may have an interest in working for and get on those home pages and sniff out the career tabs. Send some short e-mails to the HR department or career contacts and say "Hi! My name is so-and-so and briefly list some education and credentials and ask if there is anyone they would recommend getting in touch with or can you send a resume." I mean all they can say is "we aren't hiring at this time" and you would be AMAZED at how fast networking can happen. My friends are floored when I get e-mails and personal phone calls DAILY from recruiters and HR departments. Then again, my degree is in high demand, but still..

Here is a list of Fortune 500 companies located in Pittsburgh.

Allegheny Technologies
H. J. Heinz Company
Mellon Financial Corporation
PNC Financial
PPG Industries
WESCO International
U.S. Steel

Here are Fortune 1000:
Fortune 1000 Corporations:

Allegheny Energy
American Eagle Outfitters
Consol Energy
Dick's Sporting Goods
Kennametal
Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel

Other major employers in the Pittsburgh area include the operations center for Alcoa, the North American headquarters for Bayer, GlaxoSmithKline and Lanxess. Pittsburgh is the Northeast U.S. regional headquarters for Nova Chemicals, FedEx Ground, Ariba, Rand, and National City. Guru.com, 84 Lumber, Giant Eagle, Highmark, Rue 21, and GENCO are major non-public companies with headquarters in the region. Other major companies headquartered in Pittsburgh include Mylan Laboratories, General Nutrition Center (GNC), and CNX Gas (CXG), a subsidiary of Consol Energy.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Travel View Post
I have a college degree.
How can we help you if you don't tell us what degree you hold and what work experience you possess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Travel View Post
If you are a professional in the Pittsburgh area, how did you get your job?
I simply sent my resume.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
[quote=Love2Travel;1427766]I have a college degree.

Use a recruiter. You can find a marvelous book about national recruiters that lists them by state and profession at Borders or Barnes and Noble. Then after having the book in your profession, look through it, see where you fit best and start making calls. Remember -- recruiters work on commission, they WANT to find you a job.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:00 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
[
Dick's Sporting Goods is doubling in size this next year....

Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 AM

60 posts, read 64,322 times
Thanks to all who replied to my query. My degree is in journalism; my work experience is primarily in financial marketing.

I've applied to several jobs listed on PNC's Web site, but have had no luck. I'm not sure what's up with Mellon these days following the merger, so I don't know that I want to try to get a position there, only to have my job relocate to NYC.

I've been contacting potential employers via email, but the response (even after I make the follow-up phone call) has been dismal. I'm starting to feel like a job beggar, and I'd rather just relocate elsewhere instead of begging for a job.

Did any of you use networking (attending social events, etc.) to get your job?

Old 09-05-2007, 04:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
You shouldn't discount Mellon to get yourself to Pittsburgh. You'll have a better chance of landing a job at PNC if you work or worked at Mellon.

I agree with the recommendation to use a head hunter. Would you like the contact information of one who specializes in finance?

Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 AM

214 posts, read 241,804 times
I looked for a job in Pittsburgh in May. I put my resume on Monster and Career builder and had 4 interviews and 3 offers within the two weeks of coming back home, and only been out of college for 3 years. I think it is on what degree you have, and how well that applies for what location.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 AM

206 posts, read 688,641 times
Almost all professional jobs in Pittsburgh are filled through recruiters. I don't have a name offhand as it's been years since I looked for a job, but they're all in the phone book. Give them a call and send your resume to several big ones -- they mostly all have all the same listings, but you never know which individual recruiter is going to work hardest for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: