Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM

674 posts, read 1,412,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Something tells me that her problem is that her son is so far behind that he needs to attend classes for the lower grades, which are held on Saturdays.
This is probably it. If he is a sixth grader and still hasn't made his communion (which was in second grade for me, unless it has changed), he is significantly behind. I think the OP's best solution is to kindly and politely find a parish and/or priest willing to work with her to get her son caught up to where he should be so he can make his confirmation with the rest of the kids his age. I would be more concerned about getting the church to work with OP on that than I would working around a hockey schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
She's absolutely swimming in that Algian "I'll Tell You What Answer I Want!" attitude.
What does "Algian" mean? Is that anti-religion? I will assume so.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:56 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Even if you were to find an online CCD program with a certificate of completion, you would still need to find a local parish to administer the sacrament. So, unless you can find a local parish that is onboard with your plan, the online classes are moot.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 AM

6 posts, read 19,926 times
I love how so many of you want to pretend that you know what is in my heart or my feelings for my Lord. I asked for information. Not your judgement. If you all claim to be "Catholic" and a believer in what Christ taught, I suggest you go back to CCD yourselves. You need to be reminded of what he taught. No love here. Don't worry, I won't ever ask any questions here again. Don't bother to respond because I won't be reading it.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecmom View Post
I love how so many of you want to pretend that you know what is in my heart or my feelings for my Lord. I asked for information. Not your judgement. If you all claim to be "Catholic" and a believer in what Christ taught, I suggest you go back to CCD yourselves. You need to be reminded of what he taught. No love here. Don't worry, I won't ever ask any questions here again. Don't bother to respond because I won't be reading it.
Isn't it ironic? You came back here several weeks later to write a call out post chastising people for allegedly judging you, and your post is full of judgment and insults. Pot, meet kettle.

Good luck finding a CCD program to work around your sports schedule...

Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Gonna swing for the fences on this one, lol.

Sorry, but I can't help but laugh at this. Back in the day, I had to physically attend catechism at the expense of both Cub Scouts and little league.

There was no choice offered, no negotiation. Not from the priest, not from my parents. Simple black and white terms.

So in order to meet the membership requirements of this particular club, I lost the opportunity to learn how to start a fire from scratch or develop my pitching/batting skills.

Am I trivializing Catholicism? As I got older I came to the conclusion that it's actually Catholicism that trivializes religion and spirituality. The Church doesn't care about you personally. There are many other churches and non-church opportunities for spiritual guidance and living Jesus' teachings. It's not an exclusive thing to Catholics.

Btw, fwiw I'm of the belief that it's certainly within any organized religion's purview to set down their own by-laws. That's a First Amendment guarantee. So be a Catholic if you think that's right for you.

But if you can't follow the rules of Catholicism up to and including doing it Santorum-style, you're simply breaking the club rules you agreed to abide. Doesn't matter if you want to skip CCD to play hockey or have sex out of wedlock. If those things are important to you, find another church/religion that lets you do it under their by-laws. I can't speak for Jesus, but I really don't think He'd hold it against you if you're otherwise a moral/ethical/nice person.

Let me put this another way. If you believe in Heaven, do you really think the place was empty before the first person took last rites under Catholicism? Even the Bible admits otherwise.

It's the teachings, not the methodology.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 950 times
The best manual for CCD homeschooling is parents themselves. They are the living manual for religious information and faith. If parents or family members cannot practice their faith, I wonder if any religious instructions can be good or meaningful.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
There is a better forum for the debate of CCD Home Schooling vs Hockey.

I'm just sayin....

Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
A little off topic, but maybe not. Years ago I attended an event held in the gym of a Catholic school in Redwood City, CA. The church was across the schoolyard and they were holding Holy Communion the same day. I saw Joe Montana with his wife and children outside the church shaking hands with the priest. One of their children must have had Holy Communion that day. I assume Joe's kids were very involved in sports too.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
I wonder if the OP has her priorities right yet? Or are her children still skating in the wilderness, totally sacrament-less.
For everyone who recommended CCD weeknight classes, I bet 10-1 weeknights were reserved for hockey practice lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh