Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Did I say Beaver County? No, I didn't. The OP named towns, not counties. I responded about those towns.

Beaver, PA, is a town, and it's depressed compared to Labrobe, PA, which is also a town.
Technically, Beaver is a boro and Latrobe is a city. You can look it up an'at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Technically, Beaver is a boro and Latrobe is a city. You can look it up an'at.
Thanks for getting all technical an'at. I'll try to be more precise.

Greg, my point was that I wasn't commenting on COUNTIES!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I don't think I would work in Monroeville unless I had no other choice. Since the OP does have a choice I would put it last. Latrobe would be first. You could even look in Ligonier.

Sewickley is fairly close to Beaver (15 miles?). If you live in Sewickley then you are in a Pittsburgh suburb if that means anything.

Personally, I like the idea of living in a small town/city and not in the burbs of a big city. Others, may prefer to live in the burbs of a big city.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
People seem to be dismissing Monroeville, but I believe there is a pretty big South Asian population in the eastern suburbs--certainly a couple major temples are located out that way. So I would think you might at least look in and around Monroeville, potentially including the East End of the City.

Last edited by BrianTH; 03-06-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for getting all technical an'at. I'll try to be more precise.

Greg, my point was that I wasn't commenting on COUNTIES!
My point was that you are WRONG.

Beaver (borough) is not depressed by any reasonable explanation of depressed I can think of. Thus, I wrote that about the county because I assumed you were using some other areas in Beaver County to think that.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
I agree with Monroeville and Gateway is a good school district. I went to middle school there and really enjoyed it. However I've always been turned off by the ugly Route 22 shopping strip and the difficulty of walking anywhere because of it.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
My point was that you are WRONG.

Beaver (borough) is not depressed by any reasonable explanation of depressed I can think of. Thus, I wrote that about the county because I assumed you were using some other areas in Beaver County to think that.
Fair enough. I still like Ligonier and Latrobe areas the best. It's beautiful up that way. The landscape is utterly stunning. And there is significant wealth in that area. It's a very upscale region for being rural.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
We need the OP to come back with setting preference and rent/buy and price range and such, seems to me. That's going to figure into the decision I think. Although since with some commute you could have pretty much anything, the main distinction between those three areas is how far they are from the city. Which isn't to say you couldn't work in Latrobe and then live between it and the city somewhere to push home a little closer to the city. But that again comes back to what kind of setting you want for the house and price range probably.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocndvr View Post
My family and I need help! We have the opportunity to make a choice to take a job either in Beaver, Monroeville, or Latrobe. We have 3 young boy's, ages 1, 2, and 8. Our eight year old (stepson) is mixed between Indian/white. Our 8 year old plays hockey and football. We want to make a move where we will be accepted, and there are things to do. Schools, and sports are important, so a town, or community where there are plenty of sports would be great. We also don't want to commute more then 20 miles.

Latrobe appeared to be the most rural of the 3? Beaver was nice with the little town. Pittsburgh was appealing too since we could attend the Steelers, Penguins games without too much travel. Maybe Squirrel Hill would be a good place to live?

Sorry about the confusion... We need to hear in your opinion where would be the best place to settle down if we had the choice of the 3.

Thank you all
One thing nice about working in the Beaver location would be you could live in a neighborhood close to the Neville Island Sports center which would allow for many sporting opportunities. Latrobe is a nice area, but it is by and far the most removed from the city of the three. An average commute from there to Pittsburgh can be expected to take around 1.5 hours, and when it snows, Latrobe will get hit the hardest usually due to being in the Mountains. My one reservation about Monroeville would be traffic could potentially be a headache, but there are some nice city neighborhoods and suburbs out that way. My personal choice would be 1. Beaver, 2. Monroeville and 3. Latrobe but they are all nice choices and I don't think you can go wrong with any, it is more preference than anything

Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
The Pittsburgh area has a lot of ice rinks nowadays. I would imagine that you could be fairly close to a rink just about anywhere. Not sure if there is one in Latrobe or Beaver. With Latrobe you may have to go to Delmont or Indiana.

My kids ice skate. It is hard to believe that we live closer to the rink than the local soccer complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh