Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM

10 posts, read 46,363 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I are considering moving to the Butler area. We were wondering what are the best areas and school systems for supporting diversity. Most of my family currently lives in southern Illinois where there has been a lot of hatred for anyone who is different. I was wondering what the communities around Butler were like. Are they supportive and accepting of different ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and cultures? Our daughter is getting ready to start school soon and I would like her to go to school in a more tolerant atmosphere. Any advice or insights would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 PM

136 posts, read 166,964 times
I hate to reply on this because I don't really know how things are in Butler County. If I were to give a complete guess...I would say avoid the rural parts? Stick to Butler or Cranberry? Again, I may be way off on this.

Butler County as a whole seems to be 97% white according to Wikipedia.

Maybe someone can be more specific about whether schools and kids are accepting of the things you ask. I'm not sure as I don't know anyone there. I doubt that there's a hatred or anything toward these things but sometimes kids can be rough so maybe someone will have more insight.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I'd say Butler county is diverse, young white people, old white people, short white people...you get the idea. I would guess in the City of Butler you might find some ethnicity, but overall the county is lily white. The aforementioned Cranberry is growing like crazy along with Adams, Seven Fields, Jackson, and 7 Fields boro. Both Seneca Valley and Mars Area school districts are decent.

and the taxes are lower!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 AM

10 posts, read 25,519 times
Not much diversity there in terms of color. I used to live in Butler, and I don't recall seeing ANY minorities. Unless you count we of the Hebrew persuasion. There is B'Nei Abraham. That being said, I don' think there would be any racial hatred, or whatever. The people were very nice, there kids were sweet (I used to work with kids there), and I think Butler Schools would be good to minorities, if they could find any.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
You may have been on track better when you asked about some towns in Beaver County.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM

I appreciate the responses. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the acceptance towards gay and lesbian families, especially in the school systems. Are the towns in Beaver County more open minded?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max123 View Post
I appreciate the responses. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the acceptance towards gay and lesbian families, especially in the school systems. Are the towns in Beaver County more open minded?
LOL! I doubt it. I grew up in BC. When I was a kid there, it was very segregated. Even today, the only communities with much of a non-white presence are Beaver Falls and Aliquippa. You can look up stats on CD. I went to Beaver Falls High School, which had a good-sized AA community, but the kids from my old neighborhood now go to Blackhawk HS, which is 98% white. I don't know about gay/lesbian issues there.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM

136 posts, read 166,964 times
I'm not too sure there'd be many, if at all, gay/lesbian families in Beaver or Butler County. Not to say that people would react negatively toward it (some may but I think you could have that almost anywhere), it's just probably not happening in those parts of the area.

It may be more common around Allegheny County, possibly in areas closer to the city.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:09 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
If you wanted to know specifically about gay and lesbian families, you could have made that clear upfront, instead of asking more generally about "diversity."
You're not going to find many gay and lesbian families in Beaver, or elsewhere in western PA for that matter. Unless you are living in a college community, or in parts of the city of Pittsburgh, it is highly likely that your child will be the ONLY one in her class (or her school, for that matter) who has gay or lesbian parents.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Again thank you for the responses and for the advice. I am referring to all the diversities I mentioned in my original question. My family is made up of different ethnicities, religions, and cultures. Yes I am a lesbian mom who is also part Native American. I'm also part German and was raised in Germany around the German culture. I have relatives who are all different religions. I know what it is like to live in closed minded areas and what it is like to live in open minded areas. For instance, I lived briefly in a small town in Missouri where I was constantly told I wasn't white enough (white enough for what-I'm not sure). It has been my experience that if an area is intolerant towards one group of people then they are typically intolerant to all minorities. Thank you again to those who have shared their experiences and opinions. They are all helpful. It is very difficult to decide whether to take a job transfer to a place you never been before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh