Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 10,459 times

Advertisements

Hey, All!! So here in my home state, the long term unemployed are like mice: Prospective employers see us coming, go Eek! and run in the opposite direction. And, yeah, I know there's lots of reasons a person might not get hired but none of the real deal breakers apply to me (criminal history, etc.). I mean, I can't even get a job at McDonald's. That's how sad this is.

So, my question is: would Pittsburgh employers go eek! too, or are they more concerned with the quality of a person's work history rather than the quantity? Because I don't have a lot of job experience but what I do have is a very good work history.

And for those who suggest going back to school, sorry but no. I've tried that twice because I love to learn and the jobs I'd love to have require a degree. But as Albert Einstein said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." So, nope, not doing that again.

As for what type of job I'm looking for: payroll clerk*, desk clerk*, cashier*, customer service*, receptionist, librarian, waitress, hostess, fast food, etc.

*=I've done these jobs before

Thank you for your help and have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 AM

115 posts, read 186,235 times
Could try a temp agency to start out.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper492 View Post
Hey, All!! So here in my home state, the long term unemployed are like mice: Prospective employers see us coming, go Eek! and run in the opposite direction. And, yeah, I know there's lots of reasons a person might not get hired but none of the real deal breakers apply to me (criminal history, etc.). I mean, I can't even get a job at McDonald's. That's how sad this is.

So, my question is: would Pittsburgh employers go eek! too, or are they more concerned with the quality of a person's work history rather than the quantity? Because I don't have a lot of job experience but what I do have is a very good work history.

And for those who suggest going back to school, sorry but no. I've tried that twice because I love to learn and the jobs I'd love to have require a degree. But as Albert Einstein said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." So, nope, not doing that again.

As for what type of job I'm looking for: payroll clerk*, desk clerk*, cashier*, customer service*, receptionist, librarian, waitress, hostess, fast food, etc.

*=I've done these jobs before

Thank you for your help and have a good day.
What part of the area are you in? I know I see help wanted sides all over the west and south hills. The Lowes in Scott had a big sign saying "Hiring all positions" and listed several manager and sales positions. Most restaurants have help wanted signs up. I know of places that are simply having trouble staying open for lack of workers.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
^^^ Like myself, it sounds like the OP is from out of the area. Will Pittsburgh area employers be willing to talk to people and ultimately hire them if they do not receive a direct referral from someone in the local area or an acquaintance of the staff or management of that facility?

In some areas of the country the only way you will get hired now is through someone you know personally. It would help the OP and others in this position to have some idea as to where they stand when applying for a job in the area.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
OP, these are very entry-level jobs and it shouldn't be a problem to get hired in fast food, cashier, hostess, or server. Usually, you just walk in fill out an application and, if you seem sane, the manager will ask when you can start. The pay sucks, but usually your schedule will be very flexible.

For some of your other job ideas, I'd contact a staffing agency. They do a lot of the hiring in Pittsburgh for companies. If you've done payroll work, then you should be fine. These staffing agencies are always hiring for HR positions. Most positions through an agency are entry-level and will pay $12-$14 an hr. They do have some higher level positions, but the bulk of what they offer are entry-level stuff. If you put up a half decent resume on career builder or monster, someone will contact you. Also, many of the companies posting on craigslist are actually staffing agencies. There are tons of job openings for sales positions too. Put your resume out there and see how many people try to get you to sell insurance, or sell Fios door-to-door, or sell phones at the mall for AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon.

I think you will be fine with a job since your expectations are so low. If you want to test it out, send our your resume with a Pittsburgh address on it now and see how many people call you to set up an interview. If 15 people call you for an interview within 2 weeks, you gotta assume you'd be hired by one of them pretty quickly once you get here. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
I think the problem is that he or she has a criminal history?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Even with this being the case I know my former employer, a specialty gift services franchisee in the East End, hired at least one person with a criminal record because they were honest and up-front about their history. This employee was one of the hardest workers there when I was supervisor. As an employer I'd be willing to give a second chance to someone who seemed remorseful over a past mistake and otherwise seemed to be a productive member of society. On the other hand if I extended a job offer to someone only to THEN find out about the concealment of an existing criminal record that employee would be shown the door quite expeditiously for lying to me.

OP, I had a quarter-life crisis (for lack of a better phrase) back in late-2010. I quit my job near DC and moved to Pittsburgh cold-turkey without a job lined up. I applied at numerous places and had two job offers (not career opportunities) within two weeks of moving here and was able to pay my expenses with limited difficulty. It took me a year of living here to finally land a CAREER, which is supplemented by a second job, but I'm ever so glad I took that huge leap of faith a year-and-a-half ago and landed here in the Steel City. I'm so much happier overall, despite my long hours.

My current secondary employer, a food delivery service in the East End, would definitely be willing to hire you, assuming you have your own vehicle and a good work ethic. I worked a long shift today but made about $115 in tips as well as $54 in wages ($169 altogether). I'm currently working this as my second job, but when I was working there as my primary position I was making enough to pay my bills while still having enough left to treat myself to pizza and/or a movie every week, too. If you'd be interested in a position here please let me know. We were so short-handed today my manager himself had to go out and do deliveries, so I know we're always looking for help.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:44 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
OP was saying that they *don't* have a criminal history, or any of the other usual deal breakers that employers balk at besides long term unemployment.

OP, playing the "I just moved here" card might allow you to put another spin on this, especially if you can conjure up some reason (closer to family, getting away from a divorce, etc.). You could say you were unable to find employment partially because employers didn't want to hire someone that would be leaving soon possibly. But since you'll be in Pittsburgh permanently (at least that's what you should say), there's no problem now.

Where are you coming from? Perhaps it varies by area, but I've always been very skeptical of people who can't find *any* job. I can understand it if you're still receiving unemployment, but in my experience the people I know who have been/are long term unemployed have unrealistic expectations or aren't really trying. If you've even tried places like McDonalds, then obviously you don't have unrealistic expectations. Perhaps you portrayed yourself wrong for the sorts of jobs you're applying for? They don't want someone with training and degrees, those people are apt to leave as soon as the next opportunity comes along. I'm of the opinion that you could certainly find a job here in Pittsburgh fairly quickly, since you're not holding out for any specialized or high paying position.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
What would you prefer to do and who would you like to work for? Go there and volunteer saying you want to gain more experience. Work your butt off and make yourself invaluable. Then don't show up for a couple of days.

Because everywhere is shorthanded you might get told that you let them down as everyone was depending on you. Tell them it isn't like you were being rewarded with pay and everything you have done for them should be considered a bonus. You should get hired promptly.

J.C. Penney has a large building near me in northeast suburban Pittsburgh and is often advertising for customer service reps. They plant signs in the road nearby their location. I told my unemployed neighbor to check it out and he interprets customer service as sales. I doubt it. Telemarketing has been outlawed for years and nobody would go to this location for shopping. There's no big J.C. Penney sign and only 1/12th of the parking lot is occupied. That's just an example. I live in a highly commercial area and there are help wanted signs everywhere.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
I am confident that you will be able to get hired in one of those fields here( if they hire a goof like me, they should hire anyone:P ). For those level jobs, they are more than plentiful that you do not have to know someone to get in. For the higher level jobs (or government jobs) I do not know much in that area but I am sure that nepotism factors more into those fields. Anyway, I will say with 99.99% confidence that if you have an available schedule, you should be able to be hired (California Pizza Kitchen in Ross Park called me one day after I put in my application just to give you an example)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh