Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,113,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've become so enamored with sustainable city living that I know if PNC, my current primary employer, decided to hoof it out to Cranberry Township, Murrysville, The Strabanes, etc. I'd immediately start applying for positions at other organizations with greater loyalty to the city.
After it took you more than a year to find that job? LOL lucky for you you're just blowing smoke, otherwise good luck finding another career position if that's your reason for quitting. It's not like they'd say "Damn, SCR quit! Now we really regret our decision to move." Every time a person quits, it's just good news for the hundreds who are still looking for work.

Last edited by Caladium; 05-24-2012 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 06:08 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,891,347 times
When cities solve their less the seller school system problems as well as their greater crime problems you will see more families willing to relocate within the city proper, until then theres no incentive to those that want the best for their children.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
After it took you more than a year to find that job? LOL lucky for you you're just blowing smoke, otherwise good luck finding another career position if that's your reason for quitting. It's not like they'd say "Damn, SCR quit! Now we really regret our decision to move." Every time a person quits, it's just good news for the hundreds who are still looking for work.
I'm a person of strong ethical integrity, so with your condescending attitude notwithstanding I would search as long as I needed to in order to find a replacement position in the city proper.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,725,533 times
Jesus Christ, can we stop with anti-suburbs rhetoric already? Not everyone want to live in a city, not everyone wants to pay the city taxes, and not everyone wants to live on top of one another. This is coming from someone who has lived in the inner city for most of his life. I swear, some Americans actually want 7 million people living in a city Bangkok style.

I wonder what you people think of rural areas. Are they a bunch of backwards, country bumpkin no-go zones?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
When cities solve their less the seller school system problems as well as their greater crime problems you will see more families willing to relocate within the city proper, until then theres no incentive to those that want the best for their children.
I also think the tax situation really hurts the city's growth. The wage tax should be competitive with the nearby suburbs. Schools and crime will resolve itself if people with means move into the city. It is what it is.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,692,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm a person of strong ethical integrity, so with your condescending attitude notwithstanding I would search as long as I needed to in order to find a replacement position in the city proper.
I'm not doubting your personal convictions, but I don't think any significant number of employees are going to leave a company for relocating to the 'burbs. For instance, my company moved from Monroeville to Cranberry a few years ago, creating a hellish commute for a lot of the old-timers. They complain a lot, but they still come. Most of the younger employees live in the city and deal with the drive (with a fair amount of carpooling and such).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I wonder what you people think of rural areas. Are they a bunch of backwards, country bumpkin no-go zones?
Love being out in the country, but I'm also a person that is fine with the 'burbs (just don't much like driving there). I grew up in a relatively rural area too, but since I don't drive much out there any more, those narrow, windy country roads scare the hell out of me.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,692,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I also think the tax situation really hurts the city's growth. The wage tax should be competitive with the nearby suburbs. Schools and crime will resolve itself if people with means move into the city. It is what it is.
Most of the young professionals I know live in the City and either don't care about the wage tax or find it to be worthwhile expense for their preferred lifestyles.

Also, remember this? I've posted it a few times. It's a calculation that illustrates the "break even" distance for the 3% wage tax vs. income. There were a lot of assumptions that went into this, but it illustrates the point that the 3% tax quickly becomes a better deal than commuting long distances. If you're below the curve then living in a 1% area is a net gain for you. If you're above the curve, you're avoiding the 3% wage tax, but you're stilling coming out behind due to transportation costs.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:37 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,097,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I take issue with the above statement, especially the highlighted part. I live in the City with my child, will continue to do so (though we've the means to live elsewhere should we want to) and believe that the informed choices I'm making are best for my child.

In my view the overwhelming benefits to city living for us far out way whatever perceived shortcomings may exists with regard to schools (overblown) and safety (minimal).

I could go on and on about this but just one quick example. I firmly believe that one of the best things I can do for my kid is to limit the amount of time he spends in a car, since auto accidents are are among the leading cause of childhood death and injury. My wife has a walking commute to her office downtown with my son in a stroller on the way to daycare. Sometimes he goes weeks without being strapped in his car seat. A very real and tangible benefit of city living to us, his parents who want the best for him.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,097,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Totally agree Curtis, the city should be free to tax commuters living outside its boundaries far more effectively than they currently can.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,567,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Jesus Christ, can we stop with anti-suburbs rhetoric already? Not everyone want to live in a city, not everyone wants to pay the city taxes, and not everyone wants to live on top of one another. This is coming from someone who has lived in the inner city for most of his life. I swear, some Americans actually want 7 million people living in a city Bangkok style.

I'm sitting here in my home office watching 3 deer walk by, my car hasn't moved in 2 days, rode my bike down to the park for a few brew yesterday.

To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh