Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
1. Book the flight as though you were booking it for yourself and don't worry about something as silly as Chicago or Philly. They are both busy airports and it won't make that big of a difference. Directions in an airport of those sizes will be similar enough. Goodness Hopes, your child is 20. Just book the best flight and let him go. I would rather go in and out of Chicago myself. It is a more interesting experience than Philly. The airports are in different directions, so I certainly would pick the more logical choice. I always hate flying backwards to go forward! Pick the flight that has the best travel time.
I'd be asking here even if I were planning this trip for myself. As I've said, all of my flights have been direct except for Atlanta once because I always pay extra for direct flights. Now that Pittsburgh doesn't have many direct flights, I'm here to pick your brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why don't you just ask him what he wants to do? He is 20. Just show him the flights and let him pick.
I plan to do that when it's time to book the flight. I just want to be able to answer his questions when he asks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If you do, make sure to book a connecting flight through LHR, then every connection he has to make at any airport anywhere will seem like a breeze
LMAO! Good plan!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Wish I'd seen this earlier. It mostly got started while I was on the road to work.

Hopes, he'll be fine. Now I flew unaccompanied minor a few times, so my flights at age 21 and thereabouts alone were not my first alone, plus I flew with my parents a few times, etc. But you're being overprotective a bit. That's okay, normal, but a connecting flight to get to Seattle, for a 20-year-old who has in fact flown before (even if not for a while) is hardly a reason to drive to Cleveland let alone all the way to Philly!

Book on United, through Chicago-O'Hare. Connecting on United in O'Hare, despite O'Hare being a very busy place, is pretty easy. I've done it several times. The longest distance is if you have to walk through the underground tunnel. I've never been outside security in O'Hare.

Maybe it's easy for me to say because I've been familiar with flying for a long time, but really, he'll be fine. As you said, he's an intelligent kid. He can read the screens in the airport, find the right gate for the next flight and so on. No big deal. Plus in these days of cell phones you'll be able to say in touch easily during the layover. If there's a problem with the connection, he can get extra assistance by calling you if necessary.

It's been a long time since Pittsburgh has had a direct flight to Seattle, by the way. That's not a very recent development.

PS It hasn't been called Greater Pitt since 1992.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
He will be fine. I am sure you will write everything down for him and he can follow it as he is very smart.

Now if he was transferring in LHR or Dublin, i would be worried!!

BTW ' my first trip on a plane was when i was 20 and emigrating to Canada!!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Hi Hopes,

The first time I flew EVER was a flight by myself at 20 to London with a transfer at JFK. I was also in college and pretty financially independent for a while. I'm sure as a parent it's hard not to worry, but I'm sure your son will be fine. It sounds like he's a bright guy whose been living on his own a bit, so I'd bet he'll navigate the airports okay. As others have said, just make sure there's enough time between the connections. The airline will also often have a person stationed at the gate to direct folks to their gates for connections as well.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Now if he was transferring in LHR or Dublin, i would be worried!!
Nah, I flew to LHR alone when I was 22. No big deal, although to be fair I did not transfer but simply disembarked there, and embarked upon my flight home there. The latter was trying enough I'll say, true (just took a lot longer to check in than I anticipated). I think the big issue with LHR is often you are switching airlines, which then means you are attempting to change between what can be widely separated terminals....

Old 06-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Okay. He'll be fine. You are all right.

I know I'm being nuts, but it's better I'm nuts on here than when talking to him, right?

I do a good job of keeping all the crazy over protective mommy thoughts to myself.

Thanks to everyone for your posts!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM

369 posts, read 463,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are so few direct flights from Pittsburgh now!

I'm sending a young adult on a plane alone for the first time.

Which airports would be easiest for a transfer? Philadelphia PHL or Chicago OHR?

Or would it be better to just drive to Philadelphia or DC for a direct flight?

Money isn't an issue. I just want to the first flight alone to be as effortless as possible.

Definitely take ORD over PHL. Your options at ORD would be American and United. Transferring on AA at ORD is a breeze, its all in one terminal, including codeshare partner Alaska Airlines which also goes to SEA. United can be a bit more of a challenge if arriving from PIT on a United Express flight, as the connection to mainline United (for the SEA flight) can be a longer walk as its often in a separate terminal. No need to re-clear security however. This however can be avoided by booking a flight from PIT on United that is a mainline flight. This ensures a same terminal connection.

Another advantage of Using ORD vs PHL is the volume of flights to SEA from ORD. If there is a delay or cancellation, chances of being successfully re-booked are greater.

ORD doesn't nearly have the delays they did a few years ago.

Southwest through Midway is another option. No need to go east to head west.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 AM

The most unsettling airport experience I've ever had was returning to the states from the Dominican Republic immediately after 9/11.

There were all these guys standing around holding automatic machine guns, some in uniform, some not.

I'm not just talkng here and there. They were everywhere. And they were lined up surrounding the passenger line.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Definitely take ORD over PHL. Your options at ORD would be American and United. Transferring on AA at ORD is a breeze, its all in one terminal, including codeshare partner Alaska Airlines which also goes to SEA. United can be a bit more of a challenge if arriving from PIT on a United Express flight, as the connection to mainline United (for the SEA flight) can be a longer walk as its often in a separate terminal. No need to re-clear security however. This however can be avoided by booking a flight from PIT on United that is a mainline flight. This ensures a same terminal connection.

Another advantage of Using ORD vs PHL is the volume of flights to SEA from ORD. If there is a delay or cancellation, chances of being successfully re-booked are greater.
It sounds like the concensus is O'Hara. Thanks for the tips on how to avoid switching terminals. More flights to SEA is a big plus too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh