Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibyl_vain View Post
why does the downtown close so early?
Because traditionally it's a work zone and not a play zone, though apparently that's changing on the upper fringes in the theater district. Other than that, people do their nightlife-ing in various other neighborhoods in the city closer to where they live.

To echo what others have said, this is not uncommon perhaps in older cities. I can vouch for Chicago being much the same way. While there's some nightlife in the downtown area, it's north of the river (which is to say, just across the river from the major government/business district) and not nearly as lively as many of the neighborhood nightlife areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 AM

37 posts, read 73,249 times
I've been to a lot of cities. Even lived in Buffalo, which is not much of a happening place. And I lived abroad for several years. Granted most of my time was spent in major cities, but I just never saw a situation where everything seemed closed. Not the whole downtown, because we did find some places open in the cultural district (though the place where we ate was basically empty at 7pm...) but anyway there was a general sleepy impression in a great part of the downtown. I get that it's a work area, not a play area, but don't people eat/get drinks after work, etc? And it also seems that people walking through might want to stop to eat/get coffee/etc... and if places were open longer, wouldn't that just attract more people to the area in the evening?

Old 06-09-2012, 01:33 AM

4 posts, read 10,530 times
Quote:
I get that it's a work area, not a play area, but don't people eat/get drinks after work, etc?
Yes, they do, in the locations that have already been touched on: Southside, Station Square, North Shore, or the various city neighborhoods.

Quote:
And it also seems that people walking through might want to stop to eat/get coffee/etc... and if places were open longer, wouldn't that just attract more people to the area in the evening?
Why would people be walking through though? It is a business district and businesses close at typical business hours. Afterwards, people go elsewhere to the aforementioned areas.

There are some bars and restaurants around Duquesne and the CEC that people frequent but there's so few permanent residencies that people just don't go downtown unless they have work or school.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is positive or negative but it should satisfy your question as to why.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
I've been to a lot of cities. Even lived in Buffalo, which is not much of a happening place. And I lived abroad for several years. Granted most of my time was spent in major cities, but I just never saw a situation where everything seemed closed.
I had the same shock in Harrisburg looking for a place to eat at 3pm but everything closed after lunch.

Wall Street on a the weekend is a ghost town. Little Italy is busling nearby but Wall Street is dead. It's NYC, the city that never sleeps, but no different from Pittsburgh in that regard if you think of Wall Street as the downtown business district that shuts down after everyone goes to their little neighborhoods.

Downtown hotels aren't really the appropriate place to stay if you're coming to Pittsburgh for leisure because downtown isn't where things are happening unless there is a special event.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:50 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Downtown is what is sometimes called a "financial district", "central business district", or something like that in other cities. Most such places feel relatively empty once the daytime office surge leaves.

But as others have pointed out, there is in fact an evening scene in the Cultural District/Market Square area, and the South Side and Shadyside are both close with a lot of evening activity, and there are many other areas as well that people head after work.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:56 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,268 times
Well, after a show in Cultural district we end up regularly at Bosanova which is downtown and is open until 1am. If we're hungry this little known place Efesus Pizza which is also Downtown is open until 1am and they make a fANTASTIC pizza. If u want bustling go to South Side. Basically it is like the M street in DC, bar next to bar next to bar, shops, crows etc. AT 2am when everything closes you will be stuck in traffic I'm telling u.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wall Street on a the weekend is a ghost town. Little Italy is busling nearby but Wall Street is dead. It's NYC, the city that never sleeps, but no different from Pittsburgh in that regard if you think of Wall Street as the downtown business district that shuts down after everyone goes to their little neighborhoods.
That's actually funny - I guess I (briefly) thought the same thing as the OP the first time I visited NYC; got a cheap deal on a hotel on a weekend in the heart of wall street, woke up early sat morning & went to find breakfast to which everywhere was closed and I kept thinking what the h*ll, this is New York City!

Old 06-09-2012, 07:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
DC is also famous for this. K street is like a ghost town after work. You can't even find a happy hour.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:42 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,899,754 times
Pittsburgh has an exception many other cities with the same issue do not.....What Downtown loses the Neighborhood make up for in a big way...I've been to cities where they have the same 9-5 type downtown and the neighborhoods are mostly sleeper residentials, Now that's BAD!

I mean you do have the area bound by the Cultural District and Market Square that are lively....Now keep in mine not all of Downtown will ever live outside of 5pm....I see the area East of Smithfield and West of Ross St (Grant Street area) as always being purely 9-5 zone and nothing more.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:59 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
I visited Pittsburgh for the second time, because my family is considering moving there, and we were quite stunned by how quiet the downtown is. I have never seen such a situation *anywhere*, where everything basically closes at 6pm.
Yet my husband and I manage to have dinner at 6 pm before every symphony performance that we come into town for... and drinks afterwards (gotta avoid traffic somehow!).
I have no idea where you were looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh