Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM

40 posts, read 105,210 times

Advertisements

We're a young couple with a toddler that just moved to a Pittsburgh Suburb and are looking to make some new friends. We don't really know anyone in the area. We love having game/dinner nights, people to just hang out with and talk, go shopping, movies, etc. If you have kids that's a plus but definitely not a necessity to be friends. Sorry if this sounds like a lame "ad" but I didn't really know anything else to do. We haven't really met any of our neighbors (I guess I thought they'd be more welcoming to new neighbors) and I just don't know where to start. This is our first move and it's a change from where we're from and we're just trying to adjust. Thanks everyone. Have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
[quote=kellyava1;1570124]We haven't really met any of our neighbors (I guess I thought they'd be more welcoming to new neighbors) /QUOTE]

What did they do to snub you??

When I introduce myself to new neighbors, they have ALWAYS been cordial. Sure, not all become close friends, but I have always been welcomed...

Did you specifically see if some neighbors have kids, then introduce yourselves to them first?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyava1 View Post
We haven't really met any of our neighbors (I guess I thought they'd be more welcoming to new neighbors) and I just don't know where to start.
Have a Housewarming Party and invite all of your neighbors. They'll come bearing gifts. I promise.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM

457 posts, read 431,106 times
Quote:
We're a young couple with a toddler that just moved to a Pittsburgh Suburb and are looking to make some new friends. We don't really know anyone in the area. We love having game/dinner nights, people to just hang out with and talk, go shopping, movies, etc. If you have kids that's a plus but definitely not a necessity to be friends. Sorry if this sounds like a lame "ad" but I didn't really know anything else to do. We haven't really met any of our neighbors (I guess I thought they'd be more welcoming to new neighbors) and I just don't know where to start. This is our first move and it's a change from where we're from and we're just trying to adjust. Thanks everyone. Have a good day.

You will meet some great people eventually. My partner and I are moving back to PGH in 30 days and will be in an almost similar situation. I still have a few friends left there, but, most have moved away. We are moving to Mccandless/Ross township not too far from Ross Park mall. Where are you guys at?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Oh... have you sought out playgroups, joined a church, or spent time in a park?

Those are good places to meet people...

Old 09-24-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
You will meet some great people eventually. My partner and I are moving back to PGH in 30 days and will be in an almost similar situation. I still have a few friends left there, but, most have moved away. We are moving to Mccandless/Ross township not too far from Ross Park mall. Where are you guys at?
We are in Plum. It stinks not knowing anyone and being in a place you've never been before. I'm kind of finding people not so friendly here. I'm not meaning to offend anyone here in this forum from the area but it's what I've experienced thus far. It's happened at various shops and with neighbors. We're from the south so maybe we're just used to southern hospitality and a different way of life. I don't know. I hope it gets better. I have one friend from this site but we haven't met up yet but she's been absolutely great to me and my family helping with any question I have and whatnot. She's the nicest person I've 'met' so far and we've never been face to face. lol. I don't think I'd be comfortable throwing myself a house-warming party either. But I will continue to be friendly.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
First of all, let's all give kellyava1 a break. It is hard to move, anywhere. It is customary for the old neighbors to show up and introduce themselves. However, if they don't do that, kelly, I think you should take the initiative. When we moved to NY, I saw a bunch of people standing at the end of the street. I went out and said, I'm your new neighbor. Turns out, they were waitning for the school bus. One became my good friend. When we moved here, the near neighbors did come by and say "hello". I later met some others at, again, the school bus stop. We started a walking group that went walking after the kids got on the bus. Several of us are still walking, even though the youngest kids are seniors in high school.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
We're from the south so maybe we're just used to southern hospitality and a different way of life.
It sounds like culture shock. Keep a positive attitude and start reaching out to people. You'll do just fine. The clerks here are just northern. Northerners don't waste time with many pleasantries. I'm sorry. That's just the way it is. It doesn't mean Northerners aren't friendly. They just focus on business at hand in an efficient manner. But you'll find people are very friendly if you get involved in activities and groups. Just hang in there. I've lived in North Carolina so I do understand how it's very different here.

Quote:
I don't think I'd be comfortable throwing myself a house-warming party either.
Who would you expect to throw your housewarming party? It's your house. People can't just come in and throw a party for you!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh... have you sought out playgroups, joined a church, or spent time in a park?

Those are good places to meet people...
I've been here a week and a half. I've searched myspace for playgroups and can't find anything! I don't know where else to look. And yes, we go to the playground daily!! We don't do church either. It's not for a lack of trying. I was just hoping to find someone on here that liked the same things and possibly had kids.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I've been here a week and a half. I've searched myspace for playgroups and can't find anything! I don't know where else to look. And yes, we go to the playground daily!! We don't do church either. It's not for a lack of trying. I was just hoping to find someone on here that liked the same things and possibly had kids.
I'll do some research for you. What ages are your children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh