Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:54 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

Wow. First Polish Hill's beloved and dedicated civic association president steps down, and now one of our neighborhood's most famed residents is leaving. I'm excited for Braddock, but I'm also going to grieve a bit for Polish Hill. I'm getting tired of trying to explain to geographically-challenged people from as near as Baldwin of all places where Polish Hill is located. If we had more notable residents perhaps our image/reputation would rise enough so that people would actually realize WE exist, too. We don't even have a sit-down restaurant for crying out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Braddock needs him a lot more than Polish Hill does.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Braddock needs him a lot more than Polish Hill does.
True. Sorry to get a bit overly-dramatic (not exactly a rare quality of mine). I just really love my neighborhood.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Probably the most significant thing will be that it will draw people into Braddock that wouldn't otherwise go there. The foodies who want to go eat Sousa's food will not care that it's in Braddock as opposed to some other part of the Pittsburgh area. So they will come. This may or may not actually be useful for Braddock, only time will tell that I guess.
If it's successful it will attract other restaurants to the area which could spur growth.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
i don't think people associate sousa with polish hill anyway; i know i had no idea he lived there. most people associate him with east liberty since all his restaurants are there (or close enough).

Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't think people associate sousa with polish hill anyway; i know i had no idea he lived there. most people associate him with east liberty since all his restaurants are there (or close enough).
I've read enough about him on and off to know he lived there.

I was also going to make a crack recently about him riding his bicycle into East Liberty, as I'm sure he does. You guys probably saw that thread where it would have been posted....

Old 06-20-2012, 07:29 AM

128 posts, read 201,405 times
I'll preface this post by wishing Kevin Sousa the best on this new adventure and I will definitely try it when it opens because I have enjoyed his other restaurants and know the food will be great.

That aside, I am finding it difficult to compare this endeavor with his previous three establishments. Each of his existing places are in or around East Liberty (Salt is as far in to Garfield as Bakery Square is in to Larimer), an area he is quite familiar with and is centered around where his clientele already lives, dines and shops. Before he started his restaurants the area had already passed its inflection point upward so the risks he took, as far as geographical choice, were, in my mind, mostly in the minds of people who hadn't seen the changes happening that had started years before. East Liberty is accessible, has established business and residents, safe in the areas in question and has been trending further upward for quite a number of years.

Braddock has none of that and that is the root of the monumental risk Sousa is taking. Braddock has no business to speak of, no population, relatively inaccessible compared to other areas and is deader than dead. This endeavor wouldn't even be possible without the 340+k in grants and other sources to finance the 714k. That significantly mitigates the financial risk to Mr. Sousa. I fear that even if other businesses want to follow suit that they'll not have the ability to find support and financing to do so nor attract enough business to stay afloat. Kevin Sousa might be a local celebrity, but the next person probably isn't.

I might just not be "creative" or enough of a "visionary" to see the potential here, but I sure can count on all my fingers and toes the negatives, pit-falls and fallacies of trying to compare this project to his previous, successful, restaurants. Still I wish him all the best, he'll need every bit of it and Braddock sure can use a break.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
As I think about it, success for this restaurant and Braddock as a whole are closely linked. I can't see the restaurant taking off without causing demand for something else in Braddock as well (at least a bar within walking distance since the restaurant is going to have to get non-residents in to be successful, and they'll want something else to do in Braddock before/after eating).

Old 06-20-2012, 08:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
I do think Braddock is a lot more accessible than many people think--arguably as good or better than The Waterfront, for example, for many people living in the East End.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madg0at View Post
I'll preface this post by wishing Kevin Sousa the best on this new adventure and I will definitely try it when it opens because I have enjoyed his other restaurants and know the food will be great.

That aside, I am finding it difficult to compare this endeavor with his previous three establishments. Each of his existing places are in or around East Liberty (Salt is as far in to Garfield as Bakery Square is in to Larimer), an area he is quite familiar with and is centered around where his clientele already lives, dines and shops. Before he started his restaurants the area had already passed its inflection point upward so the risks he took, as far as geographical choice, were, in my mind, mostly in the minds of people who hadn't seen the changes happening that had started years before. East Liberty is accessible, has established business and residents, safe in the areas in question and has been trending further upward for quite a number of years.

Braddock has none of that and that is the root of the monumental risk Sousa is taking. Braddock has no business to speak of, no population, relatively inaccessible compared to other areas and is deader than dead. This endeavor wouldn't even be possible without the 340+k in grants and other sources to finance the 714k. That significantly mitigates the financial risk to Mr. Sousa. I fear that even if other businesses want to follow suit that they'll not have the ability to find support and financing to do so nor attract enough business to stay afloat. Kevin Sousa might be a local celebrity, but the next person probably isn't.

I might just not be "creative" or enough of a "visionary" to see the potential here, but I sure can count on all my fingers and toes the negatives, pit-falls and fallacies of trying to compare this project to his previous, successful, restaurants. Still I wish him all the best, he'll need every bit of it and Braddock sure can use a break.
The details are so fuzzy we have not idea if he had to put up any money. His residential loft on the other hand may require some personal investment. Other than the contractor there weren't any details disclosed on that project. Just a guess but he is probably getting the building from the county for next to nothing. Admittedly, this is probably is the going rate for a building in Braddock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh