Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,892,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
I remember that when I lived in Pittsburgh one day every summer hillbillies from the far hills of Fayette and Cambria county all aim their pick up trucks to Pittsburgh to invade the town. Yee Haw!!! What I love is that the Local news only reports when crap comes to town, but never when actual good musicians come to town. This is because of my "3/4=below, 1/4=above, mean intelligence of the human race" theory that I am not going to get into right now.
The elitist postings have arrived
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 AM

429 posts, read 655,058 times
Call me what you want, but my opinion stands.

I still hold a grudge against Pittsburgh country fans. While in college I parked my old Cavalier down by station square without knowing that there was a country concert for some hillbilly that was playing at the old IC light Amphitheater. A large vehicle of some kind (probably a pickup) ran into my car completely bashing in my drivers side door and left with no note. For one year I had to get in and out of my car from the passager side due to to the crappy insurance I had. My elitist self would have left a note. I may be considered a "Elitist" for looking down on drunk drivers spewing trash around the city listen to horribly written music, but that is fine with me.

Last edited by SPSGuy; 07-01-2012 at 09:44 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 09:52 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,642,453 times
Quote:

I still hold a grudge against Pittsburgh country fans. While in college I parked my old Cavalier down by station square without knowing that there was a country concert for some hillbilly that was playing at the old IC light Amphitheater. A large vehicle of some kind (probably a pickup) ran into my car completely bashing in my drivers side door and left with no note. For one year I had to get in and out of my car from the passager side due to to the crappy insurance I had. My elitist self would have left a note. I may be considered a "Elitist" for looking down on drunk drivers spewing trash around the city listen to horribly written music, but that is fine with me.
So you gold a grudge on millions of people for something one did some years ago and make statements regarding THEIRintelligence. You work hard on that grudge...I am sure they are terribly impacted. Now my post graduate degree self will go back to listening to the bluegrass my nuclear engineering husband is playing.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 AM

429 posts, read 655,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
So you gold a grudge on millions of people for something one did some years ago and make statements regarding THEIRintelligence. You work hard on that grudge...I am sure they are terribly impacted. Now my post graduate degree self will go back to listening to the bluegrass my nuclear engineering husband is playing.
My opinion still stands on mainstream country music. I like some country as well. I like bluegrass. I use to go to a lot of bluegrass concerts before. My complaint with bluegrass is that after a while it all sounds the same. Hell, I have to hear opinions about the music I like all the time and the stereotypes of their fans, but I just blow it off with no anger.

I never did say that only people of low intelligence like country music. I don't see that above at all. I stated about the media who only reports about crap that appeals to the masses. I do believe that more mainstream crap like mainstream country, Justin Bieber appeals to the masses more because of my theory that I never even got into.

But sorry to make you so mad as that was not my intention. I said it many times before that local media never gives any news aimed towards actual arts and culture of Pittsburgh except for mainstream country and teen pop bands.

Last edited by SPSGuy; 07-01-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,097,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
My partner and I drove through the North Shore yesterday afternoon as we headed between the West End and Troy Hill scouting real estate and saw nothing but inebriated person after intoxicated person wearing cowboy hats as they aimlessly wandered into the streets, causing vehicles (including ours) to consistently miss our green lights while nearby police officers did NOTHING to help with crowd control or directing traffic. We saw several people passed out on the sidewalks. I'll concur with Scott and ebyrnes that there was already a MASSIVE quantity of litter even as early as the mid-afternoon. I don't want to sound like a "get off my lawn" curmudgeon, but at the same time I don't exactly think this sort of environment is something we want Pittsburgh to be noted for.

The only positive I saw was that just about every younger male wasn't wearing a shirt and had a pretty fit physique... AlleghenyAngel certainly would have approved! LOL!
Too late. Honestly, getting hung up in North Shore traffic is on you yesterday, nobody else. It's like trying to cut through there on a Fall Sunday afternoon and complaining about Steelers' tailgaters....wait you'd probably do that too.

Look, it's not my scene but I did spend some time down there yesterday snarkily people watching. This is what living in a City is all about for better or worse. I'm sure some complained about Liberty Avenue being closed for Pridefest too.

No doubt there's a ton of hung over folks today in the outskirts of the Pittsburgh MSA telling their friends and family what a great time they had yesterday in the City, and that's never a bad thing.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,695,516 times
Quote:

Man, I think I was there that day. A guy wearing a tweed jacket had Motzart blaring out of the open windows of his Volvo station wagon, and while trying to light his tobacco pipe, he careened into the driver's side door of a parked vehicle. Or was it a dude wearing a leather jacket, driving a VW rabbit, listening to the Smiths while trying to light an American Spirit? Then again, Motzart and the Smiths are both pretty mainstream, so I guess those guys were pretty stupid and amoral.

I, too, prefer indie music, but I don't pretend that it makes me a superior little snowflake. I love people who cry from their soapboxes that band x is the greatest and everyone should recognize it; however, the second a band makes it big they have sold out and that moaner no longer likes them. I can only imagine how many hipness points a band would lose if it were featured on the local news, I mean my Mom watches the news, how über lame can you get?

Whatever your music scene, mainstream or indie, you'll find plenty of dummies, douches, and sheep.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,642,453 times
Quote:
My opinion still stands on mainstream country music. I like some country as well. I like bluegrass. I use to go to a lot of bluegrass concerts before. My complaint with bluegrass is that after a while it all sounds the same. Hell, I have to hear opinions about the music I like all the time and the stereotypes of their fans, but I just blow it off with no anger.

I never did say that only people of low intelligence like country music. I don't see that above at all. I stated about the media who only reports about crap that appeals to the masses. I do believe that more mainstream crap like mainstream country, Justin Bieber appeals to the masses more because of my theory that I never even got into.

But sorry to make you so mad as that was not my intention. I said it many times before that local media never gives any news aimed towards actual arts and culture of Pittsburgh except for mainstream country and teen pop bands.
Mad...not at all...just plain amused that you waste any time with silly grudges. I am always amused with the constant stereotyping I see on these boards and lack of appreciation of diversity of choice/tastes in anything whether it be where one chooses to live, what grocery store they like best or what music they enjoy. My musical tastes are very broad and I can appreciate most genres. There are some I don't like but I don't make sweeping generalizations about those people who do.

Last edited by hinsey86; 07-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Terrible spelling/typing

Old 07-01-2012, 12:46 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,892,536 times
I for one am not a country music fan, but appreciated the party vibe that was going on at an event that brought many thousands to the north shore to have fun, enjoy the city and spend their $. Win win all around from where I saw things.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,711,080 times
Quote:
I remember that when I lived in Pittsburgh one day every summer hillbillies from the far hills of Fayette and Cambria county all aim their pick up trucks to Pittsburgh to invade the town. Yee Haw!!! What I love is that the Local news only reports when crap comes to town, but never when actual good musicians come to town. This is because of my "3/4=below, 1/4=above, mean intelligence of the human race" theory that I am not going to get into right now.
You forgot to mention Westmoreland, Butler, and Indiana counties.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,695,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
You forgot to mention Westmoreland, Butler, and Indiana counties.
Don't forget Erie County, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh