Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Not to nitpick, but Northern Virginia is wealthier than Montgomery County, MD.
Northern Virginia is simply on the other side of the river so it can be considered northwest of DC as well. And the trail goes through Georgetown, which is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in DC.

Anyhow, I actually like how the trail goes through the "ass end" via the Mon Valley. It just adds to the variety of the scenery that you get along the trail. It also screams of power and industry and you know that you have reached America's most important region of the past century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
From someone who has rode the section in Allegheny County several times, it is amazing the diversity of landscapes that you see on this short 15 mile section:

People coming in on the GAP from points east will go from miles of very peaceful rural trail to suddenly *bam* they are in the industrial ghetto of Mckeesport. Then as they cross the river its all heavy industry for 4 miles culminating in the massive Edgar Thompson Works bellowing ominiously on the other side of the Mon.

Suddenly, the run-down industrial feel fades away as one approaches the Waterfront redevelopment, passing by expensive riverfront condos and shopping and a charming little outdoor suburban mall area.

This fades to nothing but greenery and railroad tracks once past Sandcastle for another 3 miles through Hays, probably lulling the weary traveler into thinking that they are still no where near Pittsburgh yet, then *bam* they are in the Southside Works with Oakland/downtown in view across the river.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The "Rust Belt Chic" aspects of the approach into Pittsburgh are definitely a major selling point.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:04 PM

37 posts, read 46,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post

Once the scrap yard section is complete, the portion that runs through Sandcastle is just slapping some yellow lines on existing pavement, right? Looking at Google Maps, it looks like if you could make it through the scrap yard, even if Sandcastle did nothing, you could still ride your bike along Sandcastle Dr. (along the South end of the park) all the way to Costco, where you'd pick up the trail again. This is a slow-moving road with not that much traffic, and a FAR better way to get to the Waterfront than using 837, as I did.

Also, I'm wondering where you got this information, as I had a heck of a time digging up anything!

Thanks again for the excellent contribution!

I wish it was that easy. The Sandcastle portion will be completely separated from the roadway in from The Waterfront side, through the parking lot, to Haysglen Street, the public road between Sandcastle and Keystone Metals. The trail will be fenced on both sides since the Sandcastle facilities are on the river side and there is a dense set of railroad tracks on the other side. Because of this alignment utilities have to be moved to accomodate the 8' trail. This is the alignment which Sandcastle wanted.

I know you'll wonder why, butfor now, let's just say it's complicated.

The trail will exit onto Haysglen Street, cross the street and pick-up the new segment of trail between the railroad and Keystone Metals. The trail alignment and elevations are completed. Starting soon there will be construction on a barrier between the trail and Keystone Metals. The reason for the barrier is that the company deals with a lot of heavy construction materials recycling and they want to be assured that trail users are not going to be injured. It's a legitimate concern and one that a significant barrier will address. The Keystone Metals people have been very accommodating and there have been some interesting land swaps between several trail groups and the company where everybody is very happy with the results.

I'm on the Allegheny Trail Alliance board of directors.

PgWiegman

Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM

37 posts, read 46,977 times
Quote:
For some reason I feel like my whole trip will have a little black eye if I have to try to figure out how to navigate that stupid little section, especially if I have to resort to using 837 again.
You might want to consider this alternative.

Leave the Great Allegheny Passage in The Waterfront Shopping area via Amity Street. Turn right onto 7th Ave in Homestead heading toward Pittsburgh. 7th becomes Rt 837/Riverton Street. Yes, it's Rt 837, but it's not the narrow path of that road. Keep going toward Pittsburgh. When you get to the Glenwood Bridge clover-leaf, it's more spagetti than clover, head toward the Glenwood Bridge. Cross the Glenwood Bridge onto 2nd Ave/Rt 885. This goes through the center of Hazelwood. At Hazelwood Ave., turn left, cross the tracks on the street crossing and there is a new trail leading from there into the Hot Metal Bridge.

This new trail is already on Google Maps.

At the Hot Metal Bridge you can connect to the trails on Pittsburgh's South Side, or up and over 2nd Ave to the Eliza Furnace (Jail) Trail and into the city.

The south end of the Glenwood Bridge is a little dicey, but it's much better that Rt 837.

PgWiegman

Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiegman View Post
You might want to consider this alternative.
Here is how I deal with the gap and I have ridden to the trail to see how it is. Anyway, ride your bike across the Homestead Gray's Bridge on the sidewalk. That Sidewalk is in great condition and is pretty wide. Continue up the hill to Wendy's and cut behind it on some little street. Ride up to Beechwood and BOOM, you are on a bike lane into Shadyside. From there, you can go anywhere.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiegman View Post
I wish it was that easy. The Sandcastle portion will be completely separated from the roadway in from The Waterfront side, through the parking lot, to Haysglen Street, the public road between Sandcastle and Keystone Metals. The trail will be fenced on both sides since the Sandcastle facilities are on the river side and there is a dense set of railroad tracks on the other side. Because of this alignment utilities have to be moved to accomodate the 8' trail. This is the alignment which Sandcastle wanted.

I know you'll wonder why, butfor now, let's just say it's complicated.

The trail will exit onto Haysglen Street, cross the street and pick-up the new segment of trail between the railroad and Keystone Metals. The trail alignment and elevations are completed. Starting soon there will be construction on a barrier between the trail and Keystone Metals. The reason for the barrier is that the company deals with a lot of heavy construction materials recycling and they want to be assured that trail users are not going to be injured. It's a legitimate concern and one that a significant barrier will address. The Keystone Metals people have been very accommodating and there have been some interesting land swaps between several trail groups and the company where everybody is very happy with the results.

I'm on the Allegheny Trail Alliance board of directors.

PgWiegman
Wow, thanks for the great insider information! I've created a map of the proposed route as I understand it. I'm sure that I've got at least something wrong, care to jump in and edit it to make it correct? I've opened the map so that anyone can edit.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,980 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the great insider information! I've created a map of the proposed route as I understand it. I'm sure that I've got at least something wrong, care to jump in and edit it to make it correct? I've opened the map so that anyone can edit.
I was the one that just added the "Whemco Detour". I think posting other relevant detours on you map could be useful for folks. I've honestly never used the Whemco route myself, but I know other bold individuals who have told me they have to little retribution. That route is quite easy to access all-year-round I'm pretty sure (don't have to deal with Sandcastle gate closed in the off-season), but Whemco might be a bit more anal about bike pass-throughs than Sandcastle, even if it's simply skirting the property.

Other detour routes should be posted as well, like the one Curtis mentioned above (I would say add a part to that using either Hazelwood Ave. or Greenfield Ave. to get back DOWN the hill to the river/trails. Another detour would be simply crossing the Homestead Grays Bridge but then making a quick right down Old Browns Hill Road down to Duck Hollow and the river trail there. You can ride the trail almost all the way to Hazelwood (have to jump a set of five railroad tracks to get to Second Avenue) and from there it would be a quick jaunt to the new Hazelwood Trail and then the Eliza Furnace Trail (or South Side via Hot Metal).

Old 07-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
I was the one that just added the "Whemco Detour". I think posting other relevant detours on you map could be useful for folks. I've honestly never used the Whemco route myself, but I know other bold individuals who have told me they have to little retribution. That route is quite easy to access all-year-round I'm pretty sure (don't have to deal with Sandcastle gate closed in the off-season), but Whemco might be a bit more anal about bike pass-throughs than Sandcastle, even if it's simply skirting the property.

Other detour routes should be posted as well, like the one Curtis mentioned above (I would say add a part to that using either Hazelwood Ave. or Greenfield Ave. to get back DOWN the hill to the river/trails. Another detour would be simply crossing the Homestead Grays Bridge but then making a quick right down Old Browns Hill Road down to Duck Hollow and the river trail there. You can ride the trail almost all the way to Hazelwood (have to jump a set of five railroad tracks to get to Second Avenue) and from there it would be a quick jaunt to the new Hazelwood Trail and then the Eliza Furnace Trail (or South Side via Hot Metal).
Good idea. Since I think it'd be most helpful to keep the map in a context where riders are searching for ways to stay on the Great Allegheny Passage, I'll only include detours that allow you to get back to the passage. Thus, I added the detour that pwiegman suggested (in orange).

One note about your Whemco Detour, though. It looks like there's a fence right when your detour reaches Mifflin Rd., which might pose an issue. It should also be noted that this route is only usable by people with bikes that are able to traverse the large rocks alongside the railroad tracks. I.e., no road bikes.

h_curtis: If you have a good idea on how to get back to the Great Allegheny Passage, put it on the map!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:07 PM

From analyzing the map some more, it looks like you could take the High Level Bridge to the North side of the river, head down to the Duck Hollow trail and take that to Hazelwood. That would eliminate using 837 also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh