Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
What are your thoughts about this proposal?
In general, I see mostly positives.

The URA already owns the property, it's largely empty. I'm encouraged by the adaptive re-use of the former post office. It seems to me to be some higher density transit-proximate development in an area of the City that is largely devoid of projects. On balance I see no downside. You seem to be making an opportunity cost based argument against it, but I'm not sure that it's as simple as transferring locations since I think the busway is a critical component to the developer's vision.

If the criticisms represented in the article are a reasonable representation of those that are being offered against the project, it seems to me to be a wonderful idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear that you're "perfectly content".
It beats tilting at windmills.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
CFP

475 posts, read 624,660 times
Well, I guess we're all in agreement. This is a wonderful idea, and we're all perfectly content with it.
Give me a "U"! Give me a "R"! Give me an "A"! What's that spell? Urban ReDEVELOPER Authority.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:49 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
Well, I guess we're all in agreement. This is a wonderful idea, and we're all perfectly content with it.
Give me a "U"! Give me a "R"! Give me an "A"! What's that spell? Urban ReDEVELOPER Authority.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Keep in mind the revitalization of East Liberty started at the edges and worked inward. Only recently with the Highland Building renovation and the Odeon building will the Penn Ave corridor begin to experience it.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It would have 41 residential units targeted at seniors. The mere existence of this proposal is significant, and Oxford is making the argument some of us have been making about Homewood:

I'd be more excited if it was a residential complex, not restricted to seniors. That's what that area needs.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I'd be more excited if it was a residential complex, not restricted to seniors. That's what that area needs.
Good point... I loathe mega-concentrations of seniors.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Good point... I loathe mega-concentrations of seniors.
Maybe, but it's 41 apartments. We're not exactly talking about "The Villages - Homewood" here.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
How does it benefit the neighborhood to do a project like this which is completely removed from the nexus of commercial and pedestrian activity that occurs on Frankstown Blvd.?
Because the Busway station is a major asset of, and gateway point to, the neighborhood, and so improving the area around the Busway station will likely help encourage more investment in the future.

Quote:
The location of this senior housing/retail project makes no sense.
Seniors in particular benefit greatly from excellent transit access.

Last edited by BrianTH; 07-20-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Keep in mind the revitalization of East Liberty started at the edges and worked inward. Only recently with the Highland Building renovation and the Odeon building will the Penn Ave corridor begin to experience it.
Ironically CFP has criticized recent East Liberty project announcements for NOT sticking exclusively to the edges.

It is almost like that poster is committed in advance to complaining about every project, and then looks for rationalizations, regardless of how inconsistent they might be . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh