Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,587,118 times

Advertisements

My wife and I bought our house a year ago and I've been working on it ever since.

Over the course of my renovations I had discovered that our bathroom window needed to be replaced. A friend recommended Windows Unlimited (out of Pleasant Hills I believe) so we decided to get an estimate. We got our estimate, signed a contract in mid September, put down a deposit, and were told that we would be contacted by one of their install guys to set up a time to get exact measurements. We're usually patient people, and very understanding. We've both worked extensively in the restaurant industry in the past so we go out of our way to treat people that are doing work for us with respect and give them ample time to get the job done.

Weeks went by before we were finally able to get in touch with and then only after we had to make repeat phone calls to schedule the appt. The measurements were made in October. 3 weeks later, we had not heard back about the installation. Again, we had to call them to follow up. At that point we were told that the window would be delivered to their office on November 10th, and they would call us to schedule a time for installation. We hear nothing and call them on November 11th. They schedule an appt with us for today, November 19th at 10:30am to install the window.

While the rep has returned our calls today and has tried to help find the installer, the installer has made zero contact with us. Its almost 5pm and we've heard nothing from him. I have an uncomfortable wife who's 30 weeks pregnant and is tired of having to go to the bathroom in an uninsulated restroom with an old window in it that is eating a hole in our budget with our gas bill.

All we want is our window so we can put out bathroom back together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
I know glass block guys who install the same day. Maybe you would consider glass block? It's super cheap and looks pretty good (if your bathroom is styled in a modern way, at least).

Old 11-19-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I know glass block guys who install the same day. Maybe you would consider glass block? It's super cheap and looks pretty good (if your bathroom is styled in a modern way, at least).
We attempted to get an estimate from a local glass block company first (another recommendation from a friend), but they told us that the expense of installing it with our brick would be extremely cost prohibitive and that we were probably better off going with a frame window.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Glass block actually isn't a good idea for a bathroom. If you have a home with glass block and multipane windows, go over and touch both windows. Notice how the glass block window is much colder. Glass block has its place, but most times I would go with a quality multi.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
My wife and I bought our house a year ago and I've been working on it ever since.

Over the course of my renovations I had discovered that our bathroom window needed to be replaced. A friend recommended Windows Unlimited (out of Pleasant Hills I believe) so we decided to get an estimate. We got our estimate, signed a contract in mid September, put down a deposit, and were told that we would be contacted by one of their install guys to set up a time to get exact measurements. We're usually patient people, and very understanding. We've both worked extensively in the restaurant industry in the past so we go out of our way to treat people that are doing work for us with respect and give them ample time to get the job done.

Weeks went by before we were finally able to get in touch with and then only after we had to make repeat phone calls to schedule the appt. The measurements were made in October. 3 weeks later, we had not heard back about the installation. Again, we had to call them to follow up. At that point we were told that the window would be delivered to their office on November 10th, and they would call us to schedule a time for installation. We hear nothing and call them on November 11th. They schedule an appt with us for today, November 19th at 10:30am to install the window.

While the rep has returned our calls today and has tried to help find the installer, the installer has made zero contact with us. Its almost 5pm and we've heard nothing from him. I have an uncomfortable wife who's 30 weeks pregnant and is tired of having to go to the bathroom in an uninsulated restroom with an old window in it that is eating a hole in our budget with our gas bill.

All we want is our window so we can put out bathroom back together.
Window companies rarely employ their installers. They usually hire "jobbers". When I had mine installed, the owner gave a quote and the "jobber" came back and measured. Then they ordered the windows. Took about 3 or 4 weeks for them to come in. Then you gotta get on the schedule. Can take a bit because now is the busiest time of the year for windows. No one wants windows in the summer but everyone wants them in the late fall with winter around the corner.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
I had a good experience with Window World. They installed four windows in my house last year and the prices were very affordable.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I had a good experience with Window World. They installed four windows in my house last year and the prices were very affordable.
We may be calling them shortly. As it stands Windows Ulimited blew us off again today. Told us they would install around 2:30 and never showed up...nor called.

Does anyone know of a company that doesn't employ unreliable contractors who won't ask us to take a day off form work. I don't care if it costs twice as much I'm sick of being jerked around.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
We may be calling them shortly. As it stands Windows Ulimited blew us off again today. Told us they would install around 2:30 and never showed up...nor called.

Does anyone know of a company that doesn't employ unreliable contractors who won't ask us to take a day off form work. I don't care if it costs twice as much I'm sick of being jerked around.
Usually, the sales crew will meet you at night but the installers are going to do the work during the day.

We used American Window Industries. We did half of our windows at a time about a year apart. Same installer both times. 412-823-2320.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
My boyfriend got his office window replaced very quick and good price. I'll ask him who did it. if i were you I'll ask for my money back and hire somebody else to do it.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
here it is: Inks Installations, 412-653-0850
we talked to them @ the home and garden show last march. They were quick and professional and they ended up doing 5k worth of work at his house, after that big snow last year. Granted it was paid for by the insurance, but i rememeber him saying that the windows was separate and the price good. He was very pleased with them. Ask 4 an estimate and how quick they can deliver. As for the other guys ask 4 your money back and if they refuse open a dispute with the credit card you used to pay the deposit. If I were you I'd put a complaint with BBB as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh