Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM

21 posts, read 58,880 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Pittsburgh next week to attend graduate school. I have been to the city often and have always had a very nice time. I have been out of college for two years (am currently 24) and am over the whole college bar scene. I am now into lounge bars, martini bars, wine tastings, etc. I was just wondering if anyone can recommend places/events to me throughout the city? I have found some Wine Nights at the Museum, etc.. but I am always open to new suggestions! I have gone out downtown a few times to different martini bars and really enjoyed that scene. I will also be living in Shadyside! Thank you very much for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:11 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
I'd stick to downtown if you are over the "fratboy" scene that E. Carson St. has become. There are a select few Southside establishments that cater to a more refined crowd, but the place is littered (literally) with bros and obnoxious college girls on the weekends. Downtown doesn't have a whole lot but it has it's fair share of lounges, like Olive Or Twist

Old 07-26-2012, 02:30 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
A lot of restaurants host wine tastings, special theme meals, and other sorts of events (usually you can buy tickets in advance). I'm not 100% sure of the best way to find out about those, but a lot of restaurants have email lists, which is how we learn about some of them.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I'd stick to downtown if you are over the "fratboy" scene that E. Carson St. has become. There are a select few Southside establishments that cater to a more refined crowd, but the place is littered (literally) with bros and obnoxious college girls on the weekends. Downtown doesn't have a whole lot but it has it's fair share of lounges, like Olive Or Twist
I have actually been to Olive or Twist and really liked it!! I've heard Shadyside has some quiet/refined bars as well, but it also has places that are more the "fratboy/college" scene. If I decide downtown is more my scene, is it hard to get a taxi to and from Shadyside, etc?!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A lot of restaurants host wine tastings, special theme meals, and other sorts of events (usually you can buy tickets in advance). I'm not 100% sure of the best way to find out about those, but a lot of restaurants have email lists, which is how we learn about some of them.
Thank you! Are there any restaurants you would suggest looking into so I can get on their email list?!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:47 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasury View Post
I have actually been to Olive or Twist and really liked it!! I've heard Shadyside has some quiet/refined bars as well, but it also has places that are more the "fratboy/college" scene. If I decide downtown is more my scene, is it hard to get a taxi to and from Shadyside, etc?!
Taxi service is not something Pittsburgh does well. Try to call ahead for one (give yourself an hour), because depending on the day, it may take at least that long to get one. I lived in Shadyside, so have a very good perspective on it. Shadyside doesn't really have that many bars, but does have Mario's (kind of college vibe) on Walnut, Penn Tavern, and some bars on Ellsworth Avenue. Use Yelp to search for ones that seem of interest to you. Ellsworth may be more of your style if you want to venture into Shadyside. Downtown will probably offer you just as much as Shadyside, though, with less of the places you don't want to step foot in. If you want to try some interesting craft brews, check out Church Brew Works on Liberty Ave.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasury View Post
Thank you! Are there any restaurants you would suggest looking into so I can get on their email list?!
Legume has done a lot of cool events, and their emails are often a fun read:

legume

The Big Burrito group mailing list covers a lot of ground:

big Burrito Restaurant Group

Incidentally, there is something called Pittsburgh Restaurant Week coming up. I believe it is relatively new and I haven't actually done anything with it personally, but they have some good restaurants participating:

Summer 2012 Restaurants | Pittsburgh Restaurant Week

Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM

By the way, the East Busway is pretty handy for getting back and forth from Downtown and Shadyside.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I'm familiar with Spoon, brgr, and Kelly's, all within a block on Penn Circle South in East Liberty. Kelly's is kind of retro and has that 1940s feel - only it's not retro - it's still the original decor! Just a couple blocks from there is Casbah on South Highland Avenue, which specializes in wine.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:09 PM

I believe Toast! (in Shadyside) has tasting menus with wine complements every Tuesday:

TOAST! kitchen & wine bar - Restaurant - Pittsburgh, PA | Facebook

The Elbow Room (also in Shadyside) has interesting, reasonable, and rotating wine flights:

Wine - The Elbow Room

Their "late night" happy hour (9-11) also focuses on martinis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh