Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:08 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Cuz, otherwise, I'll shop in the suburbs where it's always free.
I know this sounds like heresy to city dwellers but there are many people who think this way (I will deal with the inconvenience personally because I love the Strip but just saying).

Paying for parking + hard time finding a spot = people going elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
C'mon, it's the weekend. Keep it free, I love hanging at the Leaf and Bean, or walking around to all the cool places. Does the City want to cut off its nose to spite its face? Whatever.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I know this sounds like heresy to city dwellers but there are many people who think this way (I will deal with the inconvenience personally because I love the Strip but just saying).

Paying for parking + hard time finding a spot = people going elsewhere.
If you don't pay for parking then you'll have a hard time finding a spot. Its simply part of a successful area in a city. In a mall parking is paid for through rents. In some more crowded market areas they built a garage where the rate is discounted if you spend money. Free parking only works if the number of shoppers is small, the area remains undeveloped, and shoes no growth.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
C'mon, it's the weekend. Keep it free, I love hanging at the Leaf and Bean, or walking around to all the cool places. Does the City want to cut off its nose to spite its face? Whatever.
But I think in this case parking is the price of admission. If you want to go to Starbucks and Giant Eagle, sure you can park for free in the suburbs, but if you want to go to Leaf and Bean and the Penn Mac cheese counter, then you have to pay. It's just how it is.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:
Perhaps you could walk around to equivalent cool places in the North Hills if you are unable to pay for parking?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Perhaps you could walk around to equivalent cool places in the North Hills if you are unable to pay for parking?
OK, be a prrick. You want to attract people downtown on the weekends, why not make it free parking? Yeah, I'm a cheap SOB, that's why I live in the 'burbs, don't have to pay 3% income tax, inflated school taxes, or a higher than normal business tax. That's why when I had Pirate season tickets for over 25 years I always found a place to park for free on the NorthSide, not the NorthShore, the NorthSide. '

Sure, find another way to keep people out of the City, seems like that's what the current administration does best.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
We've had this same discussion a million times. The tradeoff in terms of attracting visitors is convenience as more spots are available and fewer people are clogging the streets looking for a free spot. Meanwhile, a handful of dollars is a comparable to the costs in time and money of driving a few miles farther (which cuts both ways--it doesn't make sense to drive out of the City to save on small parking costs, and conversely if you are coming from outside the area and thus you are already willing to drive a little farther to get to the Strip instead of your local strip mall and such, you are already demonstrating it is worth a little extra to you to go to the Strip instead of that local strip mall).

Oh well. These things are always a big controversy in advance, and then once it is done and disaster doesn't strike, people find some other proposed change to complain about.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:12 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
I've never seen it not busy in the strip on the weekend so why would they make parking free? Obviously enough people are willing to pay for parking to fill up the stores.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM

No problem paying for parking M-F, weekends should be free. JMHO

Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
The real problem I think is if the city puts rates too high and spaces are empty.if that happens they need to be lowered in response. I'd certainly prefer the $2 an hour to the flat $5 rate. I'd imagine the only way a garage would make sense is if it served as a park and ride for downtown as well. I suspect Saturdays could use a little parking management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh