Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:36 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Atlanta: 40/9 [31 places]
Miami: 44/8 [36 places]
Minneapolis: 48/16 [32 places]
Tampa: 53/13 [40 places] (More than Pittsburgh)
St. Louis: 58/19 (Identical to Pittsburgh's 39 places)
Riverside, CA: 59/12 [47 places]=(More discrepant than Pgh)
Salt Lake City: 123/48 [75 places] (Much more discrepant than Pgh)
Since when is Tampa the 13th largest metro in the country? Also, even though Riverside is technically a seperate metropolitan area than Los Angeles, it really is part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,860,274 times
Quote:
I don't know what QED means, is that some sort of disguised profanity? OK, I made a mistake with El Paso. It's hard to look at these numbers and not mess up once in a while. Its discrepancy goes the other way. Spare me your "unrighteous wrath". Of the other seven, let's look at city pop rank/MSA rank:

Atlanta: 40/9 [31 places]
Miami: 44/8 [36 places]
Minneapolis: 48/16 [32 places]
Tampa: 53/13 [40 places] (More than Pittsburgh)
St. Louis: 58/19 (Identical to Pittsburgh's 39 places)
Riverside, CA: 59/12 [47 places]=(More discrepant than Pgh)
Salt Lake City: 123/48 [75 places] (Much more discrepant than Pgh)

So, for the first 61 MSAs, 7 have roughly the same amount or more discrepancy than Pittsburgh. Including Pittsburgh in that list is 8 (7 + 1) and you have 13% of all 61 MSAs with a city considerably smaller than the MSA ranking. You can argue through time and eternity if 13% is few or not; I don't really think it is. And that is just the first 61. You could go through the whole list and probably find some more examples, but you can do it this time, from 62 to at least 123 (Lexington, KY through SLC).
Most of the cities you mentioned have mitigating factors related to their discrepancies. Even so, it seems like you really had to reach just to find a few cities. Pittsburgh needs to compete with Louisville, Indianapolis, Lexington, Raleigh, etc. and all of these places have a much larger amount of land incorporated as part of the city. Here are a few possible explanations:

Atlanta = higher crime in the city or a perception by former residents so more urban sprawl
Crime in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miami = very small in terms of land area, mainly because it is on an ocean. Additionally, most people can't afford to live in the small, oceanfront city so they move further out.

Minneapolis = right next to (about 10 miles) from the second largest city in the state (St. Paul). This is a really bad example, because it would be like Pittsburgh being right next to Philly and that would lead to a huge discrepancy between city and metro area populations.

Tampa = largest tourist town in the middle of a major tourist area so the metro area just includes all of the other smaller retirement and tourist towns in the area.

St. Louis = the only good example you listed because it is similar in size in terms of population and land area as Pittsburgh. Maybe they need to annex just like Pittsburgh?

Riverside = nothing more than an exurb of Los Angeles "It is also part of the Greater Los Angeles area."
Riverside, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salt Lake City = the only major urban area for many miles so the Salt Lake City metro includes much more land area than it probably should.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Since when is Tampa the 13th largest metro in the country? Also, even though Riverside is technically a seperate metropolitan area than Los Angeles, it really is part of it.
OK, Tampa is 18. I knew I made a few mistakes. Still, not much difference. FWIW, it's right on the chart. Yada, yada, yada. Everyone has an exception for some place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

Old 08-06-2012, 03:48 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Not that it matters, but I'd also note that Minneapolis and Tampa both have "twin" cities. San Francisco and Riverside arguably do as well. That's an interesting issue in itself, but potentially makes them not really comparable to Pittsburgh in their own way.

Twin cities (geographical proximity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: I see another poster noted some of this as well.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times
Quote:
OK, Tampa is 18. I knew I made a few mistakes. Still, not much difference. FWIW, it's right on the chart. Yada, yada, yada. Everyone has an exception for some place.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
True. But Riverside is only marginally larger than a quarter of the other cities in its "metro". In my opinion, its no different than the LA area. The only difference is there is a mountain on one side of the boarder. Not the mention Pittsburgh has a million hills

Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Most of the cities you mentioned have mitigating factors related to their discrepancies. Even so, it seems like you really had to reach just to find a few cities. Pittsburgh needs to compete with Louisville, Indianapolis, Lexington, Raleigh, etc. and all of these places have a much larger amount of land incorporated as part of the city. Here are a few possible explanations:

Atlanta = higher crime in the city or a perception by former residents so more urban sprawl
Crime in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miami = very small in terms of land area, mainly because it is on an ocean. Additionally, most people can't afford to live in the small, oceanfront city so they move further out.

Minneapolis = right next to (about 10 miles) from the second largest city in the state (St. Paul). This is a really bad example, because it would be like Pittsburgh being right next to Philly and that would lead to a huge discrepancy between city and metro area populations.

Tampa = largest tourist town in the middle of a major tourist area so the metro area just includes all of the other smaller retirement and tourist towns in the area.

St. Louis = the only good example you listed because it is similar in size in terms of population and land area as Pittsburgh. Maybe they need to annex just like Pittsburgh?

Riverside = nothing more than an exurb of Los Angeles "It is also part of the Greater Los Angeles area."
Riverside, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salt Lake City = the only major urban area for many miles so the Salt Lake City metro includes much more land area than it probably should.
Didn't see this when I wrote the last post. Talk about yada, yada, yada!

Reach? I didn't create these statistics, the census bureau did. I just put them all together. Kill the messenger! I'm not going to answer every one of these issues. They're a deflection. It is what it is.

Crime rate? Who's talking about crime rates, or tourist areas, or cities out in the middle of nowhere like SLC? Are you friends with the mayor of London, perchance?

BTW, Denver has an airport that is ~ 50 sq. miles, 1/3 of the city. Virtually no one lives in the airport area. So Denver should get some special compensation b/c its density is really higher than it looks on paper. I believe Pittsburgh's airport is outside the city limits. J/K. It is what it is, in EVERY city.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM

I'd say at least Miami and St Louis are really pretty comparable. Atlanta is sorta an oddball because it actually isn't all that small--it is just relatively un-dense. But I'd also put DC on the list--the rankings approach doesn't really do justice to how little of the Washington Metro Area is in the District.

Anyway you slice it, though, Pittsburgh is one of only a few.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
BTW, Denver has an airport that is ~ 50 sq. miles, 1/3 of the city. Virtually no one lives in the airport area.
As we have pointed out before, even without the airport, Denver is way bigger than Pittsburgh. Also, some research confirmed that when Denver annexed the land for the airport, it also added some populated and/or developable areas.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd say at least Miami and St Louis are really pretty comparable. Atlanta is sorta an oddball because it actually isn't all that small--it is just relatively un-dense. I'd also put DC on the list.

Anyway you slice it, though, Pittsburgh is one of only a few.
It's one of the 13%.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
It's one of the 13%.
Which makes it one of "not many but more than one".

QED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh