Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
In order for many kids to experience the 'utility and value of the campus experience', they have to dedicate the next 10-20 years to being a debt slave.

Universities, corporations and the federal government are happy with this arrangement, but most of the actual slaves aren't happy with it. The longer this goes on, the more likely alternatives will become popular.
Maybe...but there's still utility and value to a campus experience.

I'd be curious to see what Pitt alums, even recent ones, feel about their student loan debt and compare that to the group at large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
In order for many kids to experience the 'utility and value of the campus experience', they have to dedicate the next 10-20 years to being a debt slave.

Universities, corporations and the federal government are happy with this arrangement, but most of the actual slaves aren't happy with it. The longer this goes on, the more likely alternatives will become popular.
This is VERY well said and really describes the situation perfectly. We are enslaving young people to "live our lifestyle" as the older generation. It is kind of sickening to be honest. It is true however. You can try and bury your head, but it is true and it is best to come to terms with it. Business is what it is all about and NOT education. Remember, there are places like Craigslist and those kind of people are very smart and exist. Don't for one minute think there aren't some amazingly smart minds working on breaking this slavery up. They ARE going to do it. When? I think within 10 years. It might catch on much sooner? Why? I think people will embrace it fast.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Remember, there are places like Craigslist and those kind of people are very smart and exist.
Curtis, I was wondering if I could put that on a bumper sticker? I've found it particularly enlightening.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Business is what it is all about and NOT education.
This proves that you have no actual idea what higher education is all about.

It is precisely this mindset that causing so many of the "evils" that you're constantly railing about.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
This proves that you have no actual idea what higher education is all about.

It is precisely this mindset that causing so many of the "evils" that you're constantly railing about.
Yeah what would I know? My whole family is Ivy League and I am surrounded by elites all the time. I have no idea? Get with the program. MIT seems to be. Berkley is coming on board. I was just spending time with a professor from Berkley that wanted me and my family to move there because we would "fit in" the other week who was visiting my father a PhD (Princeton) grad. Please. I have a feeling you are too far removed. Start hanging around the younger people. Listen to them. They hate having to be the slaves to the banks. There is a need and the higher learning institutions like Berkley and such are listening. They will be light years ahead of Pitt. CMU will be soon to follow though. Watch and learn my friend. Maybe not tomorrow or even next year, but soon enough I will enjoy the, "I told you so", unless you are 90 and on your deathbed. It is coming. I told you a while back. I know most hate change, but the need is too strong and money is a big motivator. See you latter old style education. Hello U of C Berkley.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
Quote:

Goinback,

It's called an apprenticeship.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Curtis, I was wondering if I could put that on a bumper sticker? I've found it particularly enlightening.
Sure. Have you ever read about those folks? Believe me, not all smart people are money driven. They know the money will be enough. Not everyone is a Mark Z. All it takes is a couple of very smart people to say to heck with this, my kid is in 5th grade now. I am going to look out for him and in turn a few hundred thousand others young people. They shouldn't be slaves to banks to let the old folks live out their lives in their greed. Enough! It is going to happen. Well, read that article. That is the start I was talking about.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:50 PM

h_curtis,

You are definitely on the right track.

My son recently graduated from a UC here in California with a degree in computer science. Most of the work he did was online. he was constantly writing programs and submitting them online. Research papers were submitted online. Go to any university and you see students sitting in the library working on their laptops.

Do students need to pay big bucks and go into debt when they can be doing the same assignments online from home? I can see where you're coming from and agree education is about to change.

I would like to add that the cost of tuition is inexpensive compared to the cost of room and board. There was a time when college students could find work to help pay for their schooling but in this economy jobs are hard to come by for many students.

Last edited by eccotecc; 08-12-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
h_curtis,

You are definitely on the right track.

My son recently graduated from a UC here in California with a degree in computer science. Most of the work he did was online. he was constantly writing programs and submitting them online. Research papers were submitted online. Go to any university and you see students sitting in the library working on their laptops.

Do students need to pay big bucks and go into debt when they can be doing the same assignments online from home. I can see where you're coming from and agree education is about to change.
Correct. It is about educating our future leaders, not drowning them in debt. It sure sickens me what the generation above me and mine are doing to the young. We want to put them in debt to service our needs. So sick really. It needs to change and change fast. Sure a ton of mediocre professors that... well have no business teaching in the first place will be out of a job. The world needs people to mow lawns and caddie too. The system Will change. I have a feeling faster than I first thought. Why? Some of the big boys are having a look. I don't underestimate MIT and the like. U of C Berkley? Um, please don't underestimate what can happen. These places have big names and makes Pitt's reputation a.... well joke to be honest. Sorry, i know that ins't popular in our region, but you need to be a realist. Pitt isn't MIT. CMU can have a say however.

I hope this plays out to benefit our young folks and they educate themselves and start out NOT as slaves to our greed. That is really sickening me.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:10 PM

h_curtis,

Most of my son's professors came from CMU or got their graduate degrees from CMU. Currently the UC's are collaborating with CMU on many research projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh