Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 7,249 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving into our first home in Overbrook at the end of September! I'd love to hear some thoughts on the area, as it seems to get forgotten about between Brookline and Carrick. What do people do for fun? Where do they go? What is the sense of community like? I think I read an article recently about this - is it going through a period of development? What's the potential for a walkable business district in the future?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 AM

97 posts, read 165,369 times
I can tell you that Overbrook is not forgotten about! Really, the events I'm aware of tend to have it lumped together with EITHER Brookline or Carrick. The Carrick-Overbrook Historical society hosts a lot of events, too; might be worth googling if you want to get more of a feel for how the communities fit together.

Good luck with your new home!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,975 times
Congratulations! I don't know a lot about Overbrook. I believe it is split by Rt. 51, with part being on the Carrick side and part being on the Brookline side. I don't personally know anyone who lives there...it seems to be pretty conveniently located near the Rt. 88 and 51 intersection. The only Overbrook-only business area that I'm aware of is the one down on 51, but I may be wrong; otherwise, it's either Carrick's or Brookline's. It has a pretty good reputation as a nice residential area. Sometimes it's a good thing when an area isn't a hot topic on here!

Regarding the redevelopment - is this maybe what you had in mind? Carrick and Overbrook form unlikely partnership with Economic Development South - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The trolley runs through Overbrook, which is pretty cool.

Main Page - Carrick-Overbrook Historical Society

Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Overbrook is actually sort of split into three neighborhoods, as there are around a half-dozen streets separated from the "Brookline portion" by Library Road, and the "Carrick portion" by Saw Mill Run Boulevard. It's not really well connected to the suburbs either, as there's only one back road leading into Castle Shannon.

Regardless, from what I've heard, the western and southern portions are essentially stable, while the eastern portion near Carrick is suffering from some of the same issues that Carrick is, albeit to a lesser degree. You can see the dividing line quite clearly on the assessment map, with the declining parts of Overbrook in pink.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Overbrook is actually sort of split into three neighborhoods, as there are around a half-dozen streets separated from the "Brookline portion" by Library Road, and the "Carrick portion" by Saw Mill Run Boulevard. It's not really well connected to the suburbs either, as there's only one back road leading into Castle Shannon.

Regardless, from what I've heard, the western and southern portions are essentially stable, while the eastern portion near Carrick is suffering from some of the same issues that Carrick is, albeit to a lesser degree. You can see the dividing line quite clearly on the assessment map, with the declining parts of Overbrook in pink.
If a City-Data user has moved into a neighborhood, then I would say that the neighborhood has gained an asset. It seems like people only sign up for accounts here if they are genuinely interested in the quality of their neighborhood and want to be intelligently informed about the policy and development goings on of the area...CD isn't exactly Facebook, after all! So, even if it is a "pink" section, then the turnaround has in a sense already begun.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:51 PM

441 posts, read 766,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
If a City-Data user has moved into a neighborhood, then I would say that the neighborhood has gained an asset. It seems like people only sign up for accounts here if they are genuinely interested in the quality of their neighborhood and want to be intelligently informed about the policy and development goings on of the area
I have my doubts about this. In the past week alone, we've had one person claim that Oakmont is the only walkable neighborhood in the area, another one claim that only "white Republicans" live here, and one question asking us if Pittsburgh has any rivers.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM

Ha, ha - maybe they are still works in progress regarding their quests to be informed, and just need to spend more time on CD so they're property educated about such things?

So, are there rivers in Pittsburgh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh