Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM

472 posts, read 626,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Yep, you never know who you're screwing with in traffic, do you? A serious lesson people need to learn in this region.

Maybe the post was unclear the point I was trying to make was I wasnt sqrewing with someone in traffic it was unprovoked. But provoked or unprovoked the point you seem like your trying to make is accept that people are going to shoot and stab you for the way you drive...so accept that?

thats a stupid point.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,706,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
As someone who cycles all the time, I have to say, this year has been really hard on me. Not only do I have to worry about getting run over and left to die by a speeding car, I now have to think about being stabbed?

I've been ridding with those concerns long before I moved to Pittsburgh. I've shared a lot of my experiences with you since I've moved to Pittsburgh, and I'm really not shocked by this incident. Between my driving, cycling, and running, and the things I see on a daily basis, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm saying that this incident in Pittsburgh could have escalated from a traffic issue to one of anger and jealousy because " whitey " cut off the wrong car full of garbage.
Well do you know this for a fact?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,706,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
Maybe the post was unclear the point I was trying to make was I wasnt sqrewing with someone in traffic it was unprovoked. But provoked or unprovoked the point you seem like your trying to make is accept that people are going to shoot and stab you for the way you drive...so accept that?

thats a stupid point.
You may have thought you were going about your way and you were clearly correct by pulling out, but obviously she didn't. I get people that pull out in front of me all the time, mostly at the last minute, and when I swerve my car as if I'm going to turn in to them, or put flick my high beams, they get pissed off at me. When it's them that's pulling out in front of me. I understand people have to be idiots, but being an idiot in traffic has it's consequences.

My point isn't to accept that people "are" going to do something because of the way you drive, but rather, it's 2012, and these things happen. So think before you act.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
While this doesn't condone violence, it at least shines a light into some of the reasons why road rage may exist.

An interesting article written by a cyclist:

Self-Righteous Cyclists Cause Share of Road Rage | The Urban Cyclist
Sometimes cyclists, like everyone else, can be really fricking stupid. I was driving on Philadelphia's Platt Bridge the other day (for those of you unfamiliar with the city, it's a spur connecting I-76 with I-95). The bridge is currently under construction, and traffic is squeezed into one very narrow, barricaded lane per direction. Given these conditions, I was absolutely amazed to find myself behind two frantically-peddling bicyclists (the lane was far too narrow to share the road--the only way to pass them would have been to run them over). I tried to keep a safe distance as a long traffic jam quickly formed behind me. After a minute or so of 10 mph driving, I finally got frustrated, started honking my horn, and the bicyclists finally stopped, picked up their bikes, and climbed over to the narrow pedestrian walkway I didn't even know existed. God only knows why they didn't go there in the first place.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
ugh i just saw a picture of the victim and i do know him.

and heavenwood, do you really think this is a good place to share your "stupid cyclists" story? is there something you've seen a cyclist do in traffic that merits being stabbed? if not, how is a story about other people on bikes doing dumb stuff relevant here?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times
police release description of attacker... a clean-shaven white man

Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
ugh i just saw a picture of the victim and i do know him.

and heavenwood, do you really think this is a good place to share your "stupid cyclists" story? is there something you've seen a cyclist do in traffic that merits being stabbed? if not, how is a story about other people on bikes doing dumb stuff relevant here?
I did not even remotely suggest their behavior merited the death penalty (and you can can it with the patronizing tone).

The post was more directed at folks like Curt who suggest it's always the big bad motorists who recklessly maim and kill innocent bicyclists. Bikers are more than capable of endangering themselves and others. The bridge has very limited visibility in parts, and a car driving the posted 35 mph speed limit could easily have run into them and caused a mass, domino-effect collision.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:06 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I did not even remotely suggest their behavior merited the death penalty (and you can can it with the patronizing tone).

The post was more directed at folks like Curt who suggest it's always the big bad motorists who recklessly maim and kill innocent bicyclists. Bikers are more than capable of endangering themselves and others.
i know you're not saying that they deserved to die. but ask yourself why you (and tclifton) decided this was a good thread to start complaining about bad things bikers do. it happens EVERY TIME a cyclist gets injured - people say "oh i see bikers doing bad thing xyz all the time" as if that has any bearing on the story at hand. especially a story when the incident may not have anything at all to do with what the cyclist was doing. he is only guessing that the attacker was the car he pulled in front of earlier.

i've said it like 3 times now so forgive me for repeating myself, but you don't see people breaking out these kinds of stories when there's a car crash, even though we all see drivers breaking the law and doing stupid and jerky things all the time every day. why do you think that is? i'm not being facetious, i just think it's weird that this victim blaming stuff is mainly reserved for cyclists and pedestrians when they're hurt by a car and i honestly don't fully understand why that happens. but i am pretty sick of it and that's why i responded to you the way i did. i was trying to explain nicely why i think it's wrong to do that, but i guess i failed.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
This link from wpxi includes more with a video report...Cyclist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh