Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Come on, bro, it'll pan out eventually. Think about it this way: this year we also got a bunch of new bike lanes, a new law that shows the state is promoting us and a proposal by none other than the king of cycling, the Dutch, to put a protected lane right in the heart of Oakland. This is all good news, and shows that we're making progress.

There's increased tension any time change is in the air. We're progressing towards a more cyclist friendly culture, and some of these strides just stir things up. Plus, I think more people are probably cycling right now, which, unfortunately, means we're seeing more incidents. I truly do believe that we're moving forward at a good clip, though; we just gotta deal with the extra static until we get there.

Good prospective. Hope you are right. I just try and keep away from cars at any cost. That is my main goal. I just don't trust anyone out there. I have to assume they want to run me down. That is the only way to ride a bike it seems. Wish I lived in Copenhagen. They sure have it nice. Guess Portland is supposed to be pretty good, but I have never been.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
There's increased tension any time change is in the air. We're progressing towards a more cyclist friendly culture, and some of these strides just stir things up. Plus, I think more people are probably cycling right now, which, unfortunately, means we're seeing more incidents. I truly do believe that we're moving forward at a good clip, though; we just gotta deal with the extra static until we get there.
yep. it really does seem to me that hostility by drivers towards cyclists is increasing, but i think in general drivers are just surprised to see people riding bikes on the road, aren't looking for them at intersections or when they're changing lanes, and are sometimes unsure of what to do or what to expect from cyclists. that will change as long as people keep riding.

and of course more cyclists = more accidents involving bikes. car accidents also increase with increased driving but that hasn't discouraged anyone from getting a car!

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sadly, I don't think we are going to see more people out there as new cyclists. Just too dangerous and the inexperienced cyclist is probably the most at risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Cycling will probably be on the decline. Even though I have never seen more bikes on the road as I do today, maybe it peaked and will head the other direction.
Hopefully you're right on both counts.
That would make it safer for everyone.

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post

That said, I honestly have seen more road rage here than anywhere in the U.S. I have ever lived, and that includes much larger cities with much worse reputations (Houston, L.A., Chicago).
That's very hard to believe.

I see a lot of "I'll show you" drivers, you know, the driver who doesn't want you driving faster than them or a COP (citizen on patrol) who seems to want to take the law in their own hands. But I don't see a lot of aggressors, just a lot of people who think they are tough enough to start something, but coward down when someone challenges them back.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Then if it can happen in a small city like Pittsburgh it can happen anywhere.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
Years ago I was making a right onto highland from the upper level of the whole foods shopping center pulled in front of a woman there was most definately sufficient space although she apparently did not agree.
People do this to me all the time, and I'm sure most of those people think there is enough room, but if someone is clearly in motion, there's no reason to pull in front of someone like that.

Has this experience changed your behavior in trafic?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 AM

472 posts, read 626,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
People do this to me all the time, and I'm sure most of those people think there is enough room, but if someone is clearly in motion, there's no reason to pull in front of someone like that.

Are you attempting to make a point?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 AM

122 posts, read 194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
... i think in general drivers are just surprised to see people riding bikes on the road, aren't looking for them at intersections or when they're changing lanes...
There's actually a specific psychological phenomenon that addresses this, though its name escapes me at the moment. It has been scientifically proven that people are many times more likely to not see a vehicle smaller than the one they are in. This is not limited to cyclists; it applies to SUV's/Trucks/etc. when seeing cars like minis, vw bugs, smart cars, etc. The greater the disparity in size, the more likely the phenomenon to occur. From a scientific stand point, its fascinating, because there is basically a good chance a person's brain literally does not register a significant item of visual input. Understand that this is not a conscious action, and takes a certain amount of experience and self training to short circuit. Often times in cases of cyclists and motorcyclists involved in collisions in which the driver of the car cuts into or across their lane of travel, they report that the driver was looking right at them. And the driver was! They were just not 'seeing' them. If I have the time later today, I'll dig up the particular term.

Also, I think I agree that this was less an incident of road rage and a random act of violence. Or, it seems more and more likely given everything presented so far. All the more horrifying if true.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM

472 posts, read 626,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post

That particular event didn't change my attitude in a positive way. It actually made we way more resentful and pissed off on the road. Taking a stance of act agressive as a response to agressive driving. A fine example of hate breeding more hate.

I have since countered that reaction with a more zen mindset letting go of things obviously out of my control not taking things personally and not being affected by others agressive behavior. Smiling at an infuriated driver and allowed them to merge. Also I rarely drive unless I'm travelling I bike and bus.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
Are you attempting to make a point?
Yep, you never know who you're screwing with in traffic, do you? A serious lesson people need to learn in this region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh