Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I haven't read anybody blaming the cyclist.

Where did you notice this?
I read something about cyclists and road rage on this thread.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM

270 posts, read 341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
is he saying that maybe the victim did something to justify the violence?

Nothing justifies this at all- just saying that some criminal mauling one of his associates/customers/buddies is a much more common crime. The fact that there could be some wacko out there knifing random cyclists is a bit more unsettling. The crime is the same, it's danger to the average person on the street in the South Side is different.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM

831 posts, read 879,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I read something about cyclists and road rage on this thread.
Ah.

Yeah, you misread that. No problem though...it's tough with so many posts to get them all straight!

Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM

831 posts, read 879,640 times
Quote:
I merely added that the level of violation was not the same. That was merely my take on it.
Got it. FYI, I didn't equate them.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
Apparently the cyclist himself reported that he believed he cut off the driver. Then the car followed him and someone got out and attacked him. So, this doesn't sound so much like random violence (like wildings where kids go out intending to cause havoc) as much as it sounds like an extreme case of road rage - the driver/cutter felt provoked. That's not the cyclist or police or me or anyone else blaming the victim for the attack - it's just clarifying that it wasn't totally random. Even if he did cut them off, a physically violent response is not ok.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
How do we know the cyclist did anything to cause this? I notice many people want to blame the cyclist for this.
Is the air thin today? When people are violently attacked they don't often say "Oh, I think it might have been the guy I ripped off in that crack deal last week". When something like this happens and the "victim" knows it is in retaliation for something they did, they will not tell the cops or the media this. I have no idea if this case is anything like that at all, but this is clearly what the other poster implying.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Apparently the cyclist himself reported that he believed he cut off the driver. Then the car followed him and someone got out and attacked him. So, this doesn't sound so much like random violence (like wildings where kids go out intending to cause havoc) as much as it sounds like an extreme case of road rage - the driver/cutter felt provoked. That's not the cyclist or police or me or anyone else blaming the victim for the attack - it's just clarifying that it wasn't totally random. Even if he did cut them off, a physically violent response is not ok.
i think that is an extreme enough reaction to a commonplace and minor occurrence to be considered random.

if i don't let someone out of the elevator before i go into it and they stab me, i did something pretty jerky and they might feel provoked but that is an insanely extreme reaction to what i've done and i'd consider that a random attack. i think that's a comparable scenario.

i see the random violence vs non random violence in this situation as someone who doesn't know the other person attacking them over a relatively minor incident vs someone attacking someone they are involved with in one way or another. i don't think the only kind of violence that counts as random is people straight up attacking people completely arbitrarily.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,699,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think that is an extreme enough reaction to a commonplace and minor occurrence to be considered random.

if i don't let someone out of the elevator before i go into it and they stab me, i did something pretty jerky and they might feel provoked but that is an insanely extreme reaction to what i've done and i'd consider that a random attack. i think that's a comparable scenario.

i see the random violence vs non random violence in this situation as someone who doesn't know the other person attacking them over a relatively minor incident vs someone attacking someone they are involved with in one way or another. i don't think the only kind of violence that counts as random is people straight up attacking people completely arbitrarily.
This nails it.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I can't even believe this ****. These drivers don't deserve to live.

Man's throat slashed in South Side attack | www.wpxi.com
can't wait to hear what the ethnic persuasion of the perps are.

20yrsinbranson

Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar

Or...It was a random act of violence perpetrated on somebody that didn't have the option of rolling up their windows, locking their doors, and beating it the hell out of there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh