Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM

733 posts, read 987,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Bicyclists are no worse than motorists when it comes to thinking they are somehow above the law insofar as traffic laws are concerned. Most drivers I know would "blow" through stop signs also if they thought they could get away with it.

Many bicyclists get their comeuppance for their attitude when they do actually connect with vehicles, because it is a rare day when they come out on top of that kind of scenario. I figure 99 times out of 100 if they are involved in a serious accident they deserved it.

But nobody deserves to be stabbed by a bunch of low life coward pukes. That's just wrong. If you get angry at someone, have a fair fist-fight, one on one if you are man enough.

20yrisnBranson
Haha, sorry man, I guess I should have labelled my joke post. Just goes to show you how bad people's comments on these issues get when I try to post something completely ridiculous, and it comes off as believable.

I'm an all week/all year cyclist, and I post in all of our bike related threads. Just having a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post

I wish the P-G would remove their comment section. I really takes away from their journalism and makes them about as eloquent as youtube.
I've never agreed with anything more than this. I loathe that stupid comment section and avoid it like the plague.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:26 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,581,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think the gist of that post is that truly random attacks are scarier for the general public than attacks between people who know each other and have some reason to attack each other.

it seems very, very unlikely that it wasn't random though.
Agreed. Best case scenario is that the victim heals quickly and fully, it was random and that the attacker is caught and tossed in prison for years to come.

I have friends and relatives who know the victim well. He weighs less than 140lbs including his bike. He was far from a threat.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Last year I was driving through center city Allentown on a one way stopped at a light.
There was a trashed out, lowered ghetto Honda at the light on my left up by one car at the front.
They were yelling obscenities at a guy who was riding an upper scale Bianchi.
The cyclist wasn't dressed in riding gear but in his office apparel and wearing a helmet.
The men in the car were threatening to take is " Whitey Cracker bike " .
The cyclist yelled a few things back and then started to ride off.
The men in the car followed him.
We continued down the street while the cyclist and the men in the car turned down a side street.

It is not unreasonable to believe that inner city residents don't mix well with office workers and hipsters on expensive bicycles.

Yes, I'm saying that this incident in Pittsburgh could have escalated from a traffic issue to one of anger and jealousy because " whitey " cut off the wrong car full of garbage.

Somehow I don't think this would have happened if it was someone living in the " hood " riding a Huffy.

It was released that the perp was white. Way to be both wrong and racist.

About 15 years ago my friend was stabbed by a guy for no reason other than the fact that the stabber was high on PCP and a complete psychopath. My friend almost died, spent months in the hospital & had a punctured lung and kidney. The perp's name happened to be Julian, but strangely enough I didn't think to blame all Julian's for this incident. Instead I waited for details.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,603,494 times
LOL - Captain Pittsburgh - a lot of posters are taking you quite literally today but I, for one, got a good giggle out of your tiny hat hooligans post

Most of us at the CD-PGH threads might be more reasonable when it comes to sharing the road than the average joe on those news posts. I still think it can be helpful when the cycling enthusiasts comment on bike bashing posts here. It probably won't change the basher but it can educate and make others even more tolerant - or turn them into actual biking proponents/supporters. I'm almost always a pedestrian so, even though I'm all for sharing the road and know what aggressive jerks drivers can be, I don't know all the fine points of what it's like out there for a cyclist. A few of you have given me some good ammunition - especially when it comes to how to defend cyclists when they create their own rules of the road (like dealing with lanes, red lights, turns, etc). It can be eye opening.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM

122 posts, read 194,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
You hope it wasn't random?
I think I understand what the folks expressing this sentiment are saying.

A crime in which a person is stabbed is horrible. If that crime comes between two people who know each other and have dealings, it is a bit less disquieting because in the long history of man kind, that sort of thing happens. We've progressed to the point where any reasonable person realizes that stabbing someone over a disagreement is bad. If you are the type of person who generally doesn't associate with people we think will become sufficiently unreasonable as to bodily injure us, then discovering that this sort of crime was between two such people provides some small comfort and assurance that they're probably not very vulnerable to a similar wounding.

If the crime is between two people who are complete strangers to one another, with no previous interaction, then it implies that there are people among us with a sociopathic disregard to the well being of the people around them that they would feel no compunction what-so-ever in maliciously wounding and attempting to end the life of another person over a trivial occurrence. If that is true, then it is fair to assume that it could happen to any of us for almost any perceived slight. That is why people hope that there is something more to this than what has been reported so far.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 AM

472 posts, read 627,060 times
attacker description:

white male, 20s, clean shaven, driving a grey 2 door car, possibly a late model mercury.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
1. the perp was white.

2. you live in missouri and are trolling a pittsburgh board.

3. go sit in the corner and eat a confederate flag

not trolling. I just hit "New posts" and if something interesting comes up I participate. Half the time I don't even look to see what forum it's in.

Where did you read that he was white? I have looked at every news article on the subject and nothing has been mentioned about race. I guess you are assuming that since the description of the car did not include 26" chrome rims it was a white guy's car. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 AM

122 posts, read 194,421 times
Quote:
not trolling. I just hit "New posts" and if something interesting comes up I participate. Half the time I don't even look to see what forum it's in.
Actually, that perfectly fits the earlier definition of trolling.

Quote:
Where did you read that he was white?
20yrsinBranson
The triblive article posted above included a description given by the victim at the end of the article: Mid 20's, clean shaved, white.

Cheers!

Cyclist slashed in South Side | TribLIVE

Now please take your racism elsewhere because you:

1. wrong
2. racist
3. annoying

18,950 posts, read 11,603,494 times
Quote:

Where did you read that he was white? I have looked at every news article on the subject and nothing has been mentioned about race. I guess you are assuming that since the description of the car did not include 26" chrome rims it was a white guy's car. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Christ - nice hole you're digging yourself there. Here's the article - again - Cyclist slashed in South Side | TribLIVE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh