Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is pittsburgh northeatern or midwestern?
Northeastern 100 51.28%
Midwestern 45 23.08%
other 50 25.64%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times

Advertisements

So some people like grits here. I'm sure you can find a few people in every Northern city that do. I personally know only one person who eats grits around here and that would be my mom because she used to go to Virginia in the summers when she was younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
So some people like grits here. I'm sure you can find a few people in every Northern city that do. I personally know only one person who eats grits around here and that would be my mom because she used to go to Virginia in the summers when she was younger.
I don't think I've ever seen grits in a grocery store here in CO in 34 years of living here. We do have a lot of Mexican food though.

Now I need to say something about Pittsburgh. OK, I don't think eating grits is a bad thing, just sayin'.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think I've ever seen grits in a grocery store here in CO in 34 years of living here. We do have a lot of Mexican food though.

Now I need to say something about Pittsburgh. OK, I don't think eating grits is a bad thing, just sayin'.

Maybe not but I know they have Waffle Houses. :P

Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I think grits is used to make scrapple. I luvs me some scrapple.

Now I'm hungry.

And there's no scrapple here.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Even more absurd than calling Pittsburgh "Midwestern" is calling it "Southern." If Pittsburgh was even remotely Southern, then I would never have experienced the degree of culture shock that I did when I moved to Georgia. I was miserable here in Georgia for the first three or four years that I was here, because it was that different from where I grew up.
Maybe we should say "equally absurd"? Have you lived in the Midwest before? If so, for how long? Pittsburgh was a culture shock for me, too. I can guarantee you, it's not Midwestern....like, at all. It's perspective thing. The Pittsburgh accent *is* twangy to my ear. The area seemed much more socially conservative compared to where I was from (a Southern stereotype, I suppose). The same ethnic groups that settled heavily in Pittsburgh-- Scotch-Irish, Welsh, Rural English-- settled across the South, and it's almost impossible to find folks of those ethnicities in Minneapolis. Granted, there are an awful lot of Italians and Greeks in Pittsburgh....that is dissimilar from where I come from, as well.

There were not a plurality of Baptist churches in Pittsburgh, no....but there were a heck of a lot more of them than there are in Minneapolis. And there are next to no Lutherans.

Pittsburgh is at one edge of the Appalachians, and-- as such-- I think is strongly culturally linked to the rest of the Mountain Range.

Again, perspective. It doesn't seem Southern to you, because you lived in the South (for presumably a long time). To me, it was a heck of a lot closer to what I saw in Nashville than what I saw in, say, Omaha. So if you're suggesting that it is one shred more Midwestern than it is Southern, consider the feeling of "absurdity" mutual on my part.

I was using that as an example. If you ask most Pittsburghers, they would either say it is a hodgepodge or that it is an Eastern city. And that is the first place I would put it: firmly in the East. Maybe more Midwestern as a whole than Boston, but certainly, certainly more Southern than Boston, too...and more Southern than anywhere I have been in the Midwest, besides the Ozarks (although I have never been to Cincinnati).

Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Maybe we should say "equally absurd"? Have you lived in the Midwest before? If so, for how long?
I've never lived in the Midwest, but I have spent plenty of time with extended family in Missouri -- northern Missouri, not far from the Iowa border.

Quote:
The Pittsburgh accent *is* twangy to my ear.
Pretty much any other accent is "twangy" to the ear of a Minnesotan.

Quote:
The area seemed much more socially conservative compared to where I was from (a Southern stereotype, I suppose).
The South doesn't have a monopoly on social conservatism. Did not a majority of Californians vote against gay marriage as recently as five years ago? Did not Oregon have a gay marriage ban overturned literally 10 days before Pennsylvania had theirs overturned?

Furthermore, I don't know how long ago you lived in Pittsburgh, but it appears to have changed a lot since you left. Did not a progressive Democrat win the mayoral primary in Pittsburgh last year? Was not a progressive Democrat elected to be the Allegheny County Executive in 2011?

Quote:
The same ethnic groups that settled heavily in Pittsburgh-- Scotch-Irish, Welsh, Rural English-- settled across the South, and it's almost impossible to find folks of those ethnicities in Minneapolis. Granted, there are an awful lot of Italians and Greeks in Pittsburgh....that is dissimilar from where I come from, as well.
Irish, Italian, German and Polish are the primary European ethnic groups in the Pittsburgh area, not Scotch-Irish or Welsh. If anything, there was more Welsh influence in eastern Pennsylvania. An area doesn't have to be predominantly Scandinavian to be "Northern."

Quote:
There were not a plurality of Baptist churches in Pittsburgh, no....but there were a heck of a lot more of them than there are in Minneapolis. And there are next to no Lutherans.
There are lots of Catholics in the Pittsburgh area. Catholics used to get lynched in the South.

Quote:
Pittsburgh is at one edge of the Appalachians, and-- as such-- I think is strongly culturally linked to the rest of the Mountain Range.
That's fine, but Appalachian culture isn't necessarily Southern culture.

Quote:
If you ask most Pittsburghers, they would either say it is a hodgepodge or that it is an Eastern city. And that is the first place I would put it: firmly in the East. Maybe more Midwestern as a whole than Boston, but certainly, certainly more Southern than Boston, too...and more Southern than anywhere I have been in the Midwest, besides the Ozarks (although I have never been to Cincinnati).
Don't confuse Appalachian with Southern.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:01 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
srsmn, I think you're confusing your own experience with the Upper Midwest with the Midwest in general. The "midwest" doesn't have a consistent culture because it was settled by two disparate groups.

New Englanders moved west via the Erie Canal into Upstate NY, and then settled essentially the entire Great Lakes littoral (including Minnesota). The Yankee influence can be seen in everything from residential architecture (typically wood, with generous space between houses, and larger setbacks from the road), to accents.

In contrast, the Lower Midwest (a band through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri, discounting the areas immediately adjacent to the Great Lakes in the first three cases) was settled by a mixture of Pennsylvanians, Virginians, and Kentuckians. This can be heard in the accents which (to my ears as someone born and raised in New England) do sound a bit twangy. It can also be seen in residential architecture, as going west from Philly, to Pittsburgh, then Cincinnati, then Saint Louis, you see a lot of brick rowhouses, or rowhouse-like buildings which are detached, but brick and fronting directly on the sidewalk.

Pittsburgh was basically a stopping point towards the west for the "Midland" people who eventually petered out their settlement push somewhere in Missouri (in the Great Plains, the distinction between the Yankee and Midland areas begins to wane. There are still clear similarities between Pittsburgh and a city like Cincinnati. However, there are just as many, if not more, similarities between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. In contrast, besides their shared industrial history, Pittsburgh isn't too much like nearby Cleveland at all.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
srsmn, I think you're confusing your own experience with the Upper Midwest with the Midwest in general. The "midwest" doesn't have a consistent culture because it was settled by two disparate groups.

New Englanders moved west via the Erie Canal into Upstate NY, and then settled essentially the entire Great Lakes littoral (including Minnesota). The Yankee influence can be seen in everything from residential architecture (typically wood, with generous space between houses, and larger setbacks from the road), to accents.

In contrast, the Lower Midwest (a band through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri, discounting the areas immediately adjacent to the Great Lakes in the first three cases) was settled by a mixture of Pennsylvanians, Virginians, and Kentuckians. This can be heard in the accents which (to my ears as someone born and raised in New England) do sound a bit twangy. It can also be seen in residential architecture, as going west from Philly, to Pittsburgh, then Cincinnati, then Saint Louis, you see a lot of brick rowhouses, or rowhouse-like buildings which are detached, but brick and fronting directly on the sidewalk.

Pittsburgh was basically a stopping point towards the west for the "Midland" people who eventually petered out their settlement push somewhere in Missouri (in the Great Plains, the distinction between the Yankee and Midland areas begins to wane. There are still clear similarities between Pittsburgh and a city like Cincinnati. However, there are just as many, if not more, similarities between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. In contrast, besides their shared industrial history, Pittsburgh isn't too much like nearby Cleveland at all.
I agree with your first sentence. Like the northeast, the midwest is not a monolithic culture. There are the big industrial cities of Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee, and to a lesser extent Minneapolis. The "eastern midwest", east of the Mississippi is different culturally from the western part, with more farming in the latter, though IL and IN also have big ag economies.

The American groups you state are not the only groups who settled the midwest. Some people came directly from Germany, Sweden, Norway, and even Italy and Poland to the midwest. If you don't believe me about the latter, look at the demographics of Chicago and Milwaukee.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:30 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
The grits thing is not an indication of being southern - I don't think Pittsburgh has a large number of places that serve grits?? There are restaurants that serve grits in any city of any decent size in the US, that doesn't make it part of the local culture - it makes it a restaurant that has some southern influences on it's menu. Just like eating lobster at a Pgh restaurant or buying it at the market doesn't make the city in any way like New England. and sushi doesn't make the city Japanese.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
People "eat grits" in Colorado, apparently:
https://www.luciles.com/
Springs Orleans | Menu, Colorado Springs, CO, Fine Dining, Wine, Cocktails, Cajun Food
sassafras
OpenTable Reservations - Fourteen Seventy-Two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh