Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
That's the beauty of Zip Cars. You can easily get a car when you need one without the expense of owning one. Makes so much sense for dense urban areas where parking is at a premium.
Just be forwarned. Zip cars aren't everywhere here. You might not have access to one near your new house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just be forwarned. Zip cars aren't everywhere here. You might not have access to one near your new house.
I know. I was referring to people choosing to live downtown. I'll need my own car in Crafton.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I understand that the residential projects in town already require tax abatement and other public help to make them a reality at the current, relatively high prices. If it wasn't for this tax forgiveness, they wouldn't be able to get a sufficient market at the prices they would otherwise have to charge.

Since prospective tenants are sufficiently well-heeled to be able to afford the current downtown rents, most of them are going to have cars that they will need to park. That's a considerable cost as well, which might reduce the market for the units considerably if the city wasn't willing to consider help in parking. Since the city already owns the public parking authority garages, it isn't an expensive perk for the city to give.
actually, downtown is probably fit for all income levels. the well heeled don't need a subsidy to afford a space, the integral parking can be built and paid for by the sales/rent. it's the middle of the road projects that he'd like a subsidy for. the reason for the abatement is that bringing old buildings up to modern code is expensive but it's not generating money for the city when it's empty either (or underused). there's a healthy market for parking, PMC seems to be moving right along without any parking handouts, perhaps because it knows that downtown markets really aren't dependent on parking. if you work downtown and live there you're need for a full time car is pretty low, it's then a luxury rather than a necessity. even if you worked in oakland or east liberty, transit service is robust. no further proof is needed than the robust pace at which the residential market is expanding as it is even before the announcement that the rda is going to build parking. it doesn't matter. times have changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
right, but the more demand, the more zipcars there will be. it isn't a fixed number. you shouldn't build a garage because there "aren't enough zip cars."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh