Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 AM

270 posts, read 342,091 times

Advertisements

The beer buying scene doesn't seem that bad here to me, at least in the South Hills suburbs. There are several supermarkets that sell six packs/12 packs including microbrews, a few six pack shops, and beer distributors (case only but a bit cheaper). And you can buy a six in a bar but that is $$$. Beer in general is a bit more expensive than other states that aren't under a state monopoly, but its not terrible. I don't know about the city neighborhoods but I would guess the North suburbs are similar.

Now wine and liquor, that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,080,045 times
Can I just say for the record it's a shame that Brian & Coopers got drummed out of Friendship. That place was really convenient when I lived on South Negley for two years.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:43 AM

5,652 posts, read 7,001,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
The beer buying scene doesn't seem that bad here to me, at least in the South Hills suburbs. There are several supermarkets that sell six packs/12 packs including microbrews, a few six pack shops, and beer distributors (case only but a bit cheaper). And you can buy a six in a bar but that is $$$. Beer in general is a bit more expensive than other states that aren't under a state monopoly, but its not terrible. I don't know about the city neighborhoods but I would guess the North suburbs are similar.

Now wine and liquor, that's a different story.
Agree, we're lucky down here with good sixpack stores in Mt. Lebo and Bridgeville, plus Market District and a much higher density of distributors than in the city. As for wine/liquor, at least we have the one superstore on the BP/ML/USC line.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,099,562 times
The IGA in Oakland, 3609 Forbes, has six packs.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,967,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I've also heard good things about Beer Nutz in O'Hara from people I know who live in that area.

Beer Nutz Beer Distributor - O'Hara 1335 Freeport Road Pittsburgh PA (412) 963-6889
They've pretty much given over to being a restaurant/bar these days. Good food and drought choices, but the selection has notably decreased while the prices have increased with both the cases and six packs.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,064,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Labatt's is $15 a case at Save Mor. The beer distributor business model isn't threatened by Giant Eagle as far as I can see.
I think the one-stop convenience will likely take some business from the beer distributors, but I agree to really kill them off, you would need to be able to buy cases in grocery stores.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 7,001,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think the one-stop convenience will likely take some business from the beer distributors, but I agree to really kill them off, you would need to be able to buy cases in grocery stores.
I don't think you need to kill them off. New York operates fine by having sixes available everywhere and cases/kegs available only at distributors.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I don't think you need to kill them off. New York operates fine by having sixes available everywhere and cases/kegs available only at distributors.
I was just suggesting what I thought it would take to largely kill off the beer distributors in terms of direct-to-customer sales, not whether or not that would be a good thing.

That said, while "need" would probably be too strong of a word, I don't see a good reason to prohibit people from buying a case at a grocery store, or at stores which also sell wine and spirits, and so forth. And if all that did in fact kill off beer distributors, I don't see that being a notable loss.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,617,627 times
In my experience, grocery stores sell mostly 12 packs, at least for cans. The store is set-up to deal with that size because of soda.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
In my experience, grocery stores sell mostly 12 packs, at least for cans. The store is set-up to deal with that size because of soda.
The way I have seen it in grocery stores in other states, cases are usually placed in a center display (the same sort of location they may have pallets of 2L bottles).

I might note it is usually of kinds of beer I would never buy personally, but in those states I was fine with picking up a mix of 6- or 12-packs of stuff I liked instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh