Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
IHowever, when I read an article about this Whole Foods opening and I read that residents of USC were concerned with what types of people this WF would attract to their community, I realized most residents will never want a Walmart Supercenter near them because of the type of people it will attract.
I suspect the residents are concerned about the employees, not who shops at Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
"Residents expressed concern about traffic and customers the grocer would draw from other communities." [LEFT]
Read more: Whole Foods to open third area store in Upper St. Clair | TribLIVE
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
[/LEFT]

Old 11-09-2012, 07:52 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
"Residents expressed concern about traffic and customers the grocer would draw from other communities."
That's pretty funny. I wonder if the people in Mt. Lebo, Carnegie and such places get to object every time USC puts in a new house. That adds to the traffic driving through their communities.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's pretty funny. I wonder if the people in Mt. Lebo, Carnegie and such places get to object every time USC puts in a new house. That adds to the traffic driving through their communities.
They could if they go to the meetings in those towns regarding new housing plans. People do have voices. Keep in mind, if you do have concern the meetings don't come to you and you do need to be very proactive. Sometimes people do stop a company or plan. I know Oakmont stopped a McDonalds and the McDonalds was built in Verona/Penn Hills instead. I suspect if McDonalds really pushed they could have won the right, but PR is something they consider.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I suspect the residents are concerned about the employees, not who shops at Whole Foods.
I live in walking distance to this. The jobs will likely be filled very locally from USC/BP/ML much as jobs at TJs were.

Trust me, USC residents are worried about the riff-raff from Bridgeville crossing the border :-)

I might have to attend a meeting or two on this for entertainment. The development right behind Consol is fairly new, very Republican (I know this from canvassing there) and has its share of McMansions which may now see their value decline depending on how the parking layout and traffic flow is designed.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Trust me, USC residents are worried about the riff-raff from Bridgeville crossing the border :-)
Riffraff shopping at Whole Foods? Seems the USC folks need to get out more.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
I bet they're actually worried about an influx of crunchiness to their neighborhood.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Man the South Hills is weird, worried about having Whole Foods, LOL. I could understand if it was a Walmart....

Old 11-09-2012, 09:09 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
I am glad that there will be so many stores to chose from I love WF's fruit cake; it is so much better that Giant Eagle's.
GE's has a very runny custard and it's not at all yummy. I also love WF's bread.

As for Polish Hill I'm surprised nobody thought about putting a 7-11 there.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Man the South Hills is weird, worried about having Whole Foods, LOL. I could understand if it was a Walmart....
They might like a Wal*Mart even more. If you look at the electoral map, the WF development butts right up against one of the reddest parts of USC.

But once they realize they can actually find a parking space to go grocery shopping on a Sunday they'll accept it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh