Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,997,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Brookline was missed as a walkable neighborhood with walkable business district with groceries (Las Palmas and Pitaland) and a good coffee shop (Cannon Coffee).
Goodness, and Beechview, too! We have a ridiculous amount of areas that are decently walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,454,278 times
<edit> Missed it by a second!

Beechview could be put on the list as well. The business district isn't as remarkable as some of the other options, but there are groceries (IGA, La Tienda Jiminez,) restaurants (Casa Rasta, Davio/Lunardis, Slice,) Brew on Broadway, a laundromat, a library, and the T running down Broadway.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,678,192 times
Oh, crap, I can't believe that I missed that Beechview was missed! Another great place for food -- got my Thanksgiving turkey there -- is the Crested Duck. I stop there for a half-sandwich and salad occasionally.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 7,474 times
Hi

CATS..yes
Dogs..maybe

TY fr boldfacing the grocery hoods. I am very comfortable with public transport but prefer to be able to walk..may I ask what Mexcian War Streets is? Love the name and glad everyone seems t be excited abut the Target!!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM

The Mexican War Streets is an historic neighborhood in the central northside of the city that was developed right after the end of the Mexican War and the streets are named after battles and generals from that war.

Mexican War Streets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM

295 posts, read 659,844 times
Are there really no supermarkets within walking distance of downtown Mt. Lebanon? I am also thinking about moving to Pittsburgh and that area looks very walkable otherwise. I have looked at google maps and it appears that one would need to take the T or a bus to get to a supermarket. I see quite a few apartment buildings near there where rents are lower compared to the East End.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
Are there really no supermarkets within walking distance of downtown Mt. Lebanon? I am also thinking about moving to Pittsburgh and that area looks very walkable otherwise. I have looked at google maps and it appears that one would need to take the T or a bus to get to a supermarket. I see quite a few apartment buildings near there where rents are lower compared to the East End.
Yes. There aren't any within walkable distance of (it's actually referred to as "Uptown") Mt. Lebanon, but a Shop N Save and a Bottom Dollar are near the Arlington/Castle Shannon T stops on the Red Line, so it would be possible to take the T, do a little walking, and shop.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
Quote:
Brookline was missed as a walkable neighborhood with walkable business district with groceries (Las Palmas and Pitaland) and a good coffee shop (Cannon Coffee).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Even Beechview has a grocery store and coffee shop and is ideally placed for the T, it just lacks the breadth of choices and activity that can be found elsewhere. But it is an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Goodness, and Beechview, too! We have a ridiculous amount of areas that are decently walkable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
<edit> Missed it by a second!

Beechview could be put on the list as well. The business district isn't as remarkable as some of the other options, but there are groceries (IGA, La Tienda Jiminez,) restaurants (Casa Rasta, Davio/Lunardis, Slice,) Brew on Broadway, a laundromat, a library, and the T running down Broadway.
Quote:
Oh, crap, I can't believe that I missed that Beechview was missed! Another great place for food -- got my Thanksgiving turkey there -- is the Crested Duck. I stop there for a half-sandwich and salad occasionally.
Sorry! I didn't intentionally omit Beechview and Brookline. In my mind I was trying to close my eyes and picture what business-district-oriented areas we had within spitting distance of the city, and somehow I missed two great neighborhoods that are actually IN the city!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
Outside of Uptown Mt. Lebanon and Dormont the vast majority of the rest of the suburban South Hills area is quite car-dependent, which explains why most of the grocery options there are big boxes surrounded by seas of asphalt along busy roadways.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,047,206 times
This happens quite a bit--the good news is you have a lot of possible choices. The bad news is you have a LOT of possible choices!

$1000/month isn't a bad budget, particularly if you are OK with something somewhat modest and not brand-new. In the interests of helping you narrow things down, I would personally start with Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. People will argue they are over-recommended, but among their chief virtues is they are very centrally located, reasonably nice, and walkable. So they are very safe choices to start with, and you can always look around at other options once you are here (note I am assuming you are coming from out of town).

If I was going to add one more area to the list, it would be the nicest parts of the North Side (mainly MWS, Allegheny West, and Deutschtown). In addition to being a good fit given what you described, the (mostly-level) walking access to Downtown is really a great attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh