Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:04 PM

23 posts, read 45,130 times

Advertisements

Anyone have Comcast out here? I'm up to $130/month for cable ($17 for HD/DVR)...After talking with a customer service representative to see why the price has gradually gone up...It's $85ish for new customers, then 6 months in it becomes $105ish...then 6 months after that it becomes $130ish forever.

This seems like a lot for just cable/internet, no? Any better alternatives out there that would be worth the hassle of changing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Sometimes if you threaten to change services, you can get a Comcast customer service reprepresentative to give you a better deal. Also, you must have one of the higher speed internet options. Have you considered reducing the number of channels and the speed of your internet service first? I've always considered leaving Comcast but it seems like a hassle to switch around because all introductory rates go up for all companies.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 PM

23 posts, read 45,130 times
Yeah, I'm not really into the idea of switching providers unless I can get a really good deal somewhere else. I have the basic cable package, with HD and DVR added. I'm pretty sure I have the basic internet as well. I was just trying to see if anyone else pays this much for their little double play package of internet and TV. I'm thinking about calling them up tomorrow and saying I'm going to switch to Fios or Direct TV and see what they say...certainly couldn't hurt.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
I got tired of playing the cable TV game about a year ago. I'd always have to call and threaten to change providers, in some cases actually changing providers, then get charged for things after the free trial or introductory rate was pulled without warning. The best I found was Dish Network; their customer service is amazing. But ultimately I just went to Radioshack and bought a $14 antenna. Ever since the digital switchover, antenna TV has drastically improved in quality; I get HD with no fuzziness or anything. There's also the digital substations, so instead of just getting the 4 big networks I actually get about 22 channels showing different things at any given time. I supplement that with $7.99 Hulu and I'm quite happy with the setup.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Ever since the digital switchover, antenna TV has drastically improved in quality; I get HD with no fuzziness or anything. There's also the digital substations, so instead of just getting the 4 big networks I actually get about 22 channels showing different things at any given time. I supplement that with $7.99 Hulu and I'm quite happy with the setup.
That's interesting. I had no idea there were additional channels available without cable.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,656 times
Quote:
I got tired of playing the cable TV game about a year ago. I'd always have to call and threaten to change providers, in some cases actually changing providers, then get charged for things after the free trial or introductory rate was pulled without warning. The best I found was Dish Network; their customer service is amazing. But ultimately I just went to Radioshack and bought a $14 antenna. Ever since the digital switchover, antenna TV has drastically improved in quality; I get HD with no fuzziness or anything. There's also the digital substations, so instead of just getting the 4 big networks I actually get about 22 channels showing different things at any given time. I supplement that with $7.99 Hulu and I'm quite happy with the setup.
I've met a lot of people who are doing the same in the SF Bay Area where I'm from. I have DirecTV and I like it a lot, but it's not especially cheap. When I got it, to get the best price you had to sign up for a two year contract and you got the great price for the first year and the not so great price for the second year.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 AM

225 posts, read 299,789 times
FiOS all the way.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 AM

82 posts, read 141,009 times
Last year I was paying similar to what you are. I called to cancel my tv service, but keep my internet. However it was actually a couple dollars cheaper to bundle it with the most basic cable service than to have the internet by itself.

Now, for about $65 I have high speed internet and 32 channels. One of my tv's is even pulling in hd from the cable by not using the tiny box Comcast gives you. My other, older, hd tv will not work without the box. So the signal is not in hd, but I can still get hd from an antenna that is even more clearer than the cable.

I also supplement my tv with a Roku box that has hundreds of free channels, and I subscribe to Hulu plus.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Comcast internet service is hard to beat but it might be worth it to check out Verizon FIOS. They have a package like the Comcast triple play one. If you can save 400+ bucks over the period of a year year by switching and the internet service is comparable imo it would be worth. When my Comcast package price expires that's what I'm going to look into. That's just me though I'm a numbers cruncher and a tightarse that takes advantage of competition between companies. I never do a cell phone contract so I can switch whenever I want.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I'm curious. What are the 22 channels you get?

Does it pick up the steeler and penquin games? That's the main thing that hinders me from eliminating cable because of hubby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh