Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:26 PM

178 posts, read 399,763 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time buyer exploring my options. Anyone live in a Heartland Home? I checked out their Neville Manor neighborhood and it looks practically empty. Only a couple patches of houses. What are the pros/cons of building with a company like Heartland Homes instead of buying a preexisting home? Any pitfalls to avoid?

Any insight welcome!

RedBall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 37,506 times
I recently just purchased a new Heartland Newberry in Heritage Estates. I have been disappointed with the so-called quality provided by Heartland.

Not worth the money.

I would look at Ryan, but be careful of any new home builder.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks for posting! I am interested in hearing more. What about the quality is disappointing? Any additional insight is much appreciated

Old 11-04-2008, 12:54 PM

70 posts, read 336,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxLover View Post
I recently just purchased a new Heartland Newberry in Heritage Estates. I have been disappointed with the so-called quality provided by Heartland.

Not worth the money.

I would look at Ryan, but be careful of any new home builder.
I was in the market when the model home first opened at that location, and decided against it. The model home was quite impressive, inside and out. Now that the lots are filled, I had no idea the plant turned into a cluster of cheap looking housing, with cheap looking siding, cheap looking windows, cheap looking roof material and garage doors, just driving by. Reminds me of Maronda Homes junk.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 91,641 times
I bought a Heartland Home almost 5 years ago and we continue to have major issues.. we will never buy another one from Heartland, guaranteed!!!!!

Aside from part of the housing market issues right now, Pittsburgh has healthy growth. There is a reason why some of the Heartland communities are not filled or partially empty.. Trust me when I say I am not the only person I know that has had issues with a home built by Heartland in Pittsburgh.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger69 View Post
I bought a Heartland Home almost 5 years ago and we continue to have major issues.. we will never buy another one from Heartland, guaranteed!!!!!

Aside from part of the housing market issues right now, Pittsburgh has healthy growth. There is a reason why some of the Heartland communities are not filled or partially empty.. Trust me when I say I am not the only person I know that has had issues with a home built by Heartland in Pittsburgh.
Thanks for the reply Burger. I'm curious, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of major issues are you having? Plumbing? Structural? Shoddy materials?

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 AM

8 posts, read 37,506 times
Redball,

I have only been in the house for two months, but already the floor squeaks everywhere.

*The living room floor has a spongy feel, I guess this is typical in tract built houses.
*The cabinets are already getting little scratches and we upgraded the cabinets.
*The basement is not really a basement. They basically put some dirt in the front and call it a basement.
*They use foam for sheathing instead of wood. Supposedly more energy efficient.
*Ceiling drywall seams can be seen in the bottom floor.

Bottom line....if you are going to build with anybody get EVERYTHING in writing. Write what you want completely spelled out.

Also....put down the least amount of money you possibly can. And try not using their financing company Princeton Financial...they are worse than used car salesmen.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Once again we see that new does not equal better. It cost major $$$ to build new top-quality residential construction. In order to meet the price-point of middle income buyer companies like Heartland, Ryan, etc... use the most inexpensive materials and construction methods allowed by code. Sorry, but a press-board box covered in siding is not going to old-up for any period of time.

In a lower price market like Pittsburgh it seems to make better long-term sense to buy an older home and update it. But I suppose doing that doesn't put you in the "right" school district.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Once again we see that new does not equal better. It cost major $$$ to build new top-quality residential construction. In order to meet the price-point of middle income buyer companies like Heartland, Ryan, etc... use the most inexpensive materials and construction methods allowed by code. Sorry, but a press-board box covered in siding is not going to old-up for any period of time.

In a lower price market like Pittsburgh it seems to make better long-term sense to buy an older home and update it. But I suppose doing that doesn't put you in the "right" school district.
I don't see why not -- both Mt Lebo and North Al are great districts, as is where my sister raised her kids in Avonworth -- and those have old houses galore.

I'm with you by the way -- I've put my foot down and our next house will no newer than 1965. After living in an house built in 1924, I can't imagine going new. (I want a California Contemporary style ranch on one floor)

Yes -- I have had to do some "upgrades". They weren't upgrades as they were remodels. They lived differently then. But you can't beat the soundness of this house.

But people really like the idea of living in a place where no one else has lived. I've often wondered if there's a "no one has died here then either" aspect to it.

People -- according to psycho Sylvia Browne, spirits are attached to the LAND.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM

85 posts, read 286,823 times
There's so much nice old housing stock around here I don't understand why people buy new. IF you are set on that, I'd look elsewhere, although I haven't heard great things about Ryan either. My parents own a Ryan home built in 1978 and it's not falling down but it was certainly spec'd cheaply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh