Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,950 times

Advertisements

Whoa, this is getting a little heated. Count me as a HOA hater but, I understand the need and want of some *******s to actually want to live in a plan with one and that is their right but, I will never, ever buy a home where I am tied to a HOA.

Besides, most modern Twps. in PA have many of the concerns covered by HOAs written into their Twp. ordinances anyways (max. lawn heights, fence requirements, bldg. permit requirements, street parking, abandoned vehicles, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 PM

178 posts, read 399,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
No, I would simply put you in the 'bad' category of HOA board members. Like most bullies or *ssholes, you probably think your a great person and the world loves you.

BTW, my numbers are not made up. Try doing a little thing called research and you may just learn something. Oh, and the fact the Ryan appears to be abandoning the HOA racket is a good sign. Hopefully these little fiefdoms are on their way to extinction.
Huh? What are you even talking about? I am not an HOA board member. I would never agree to join an HOA.

LOL, your other comments are hilarious. The burdern of proof lies on the individual making the claims. If you want anyone to take your made up percentages seriously, then you have to cite your sources. Because right now it just sounds like you're making up a bunch of percentages to support your argument.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:59 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I would venture to say that most of the newer plans in Cranberry are going HOA. If anything, they have to pay for the entrance sign maintenance, the township won't cover that. Very little rules that mostly coincide with the Twp's rules. No cars parked in the front yard, no semi-tractor trailers on the street, no open fire pits, nothing major.

Bottom line, you want to live in a plan with very tight rules, do so. If not, don't move in and ***** and moan about it later. Do some research.

Last edited by Copanut; 04-08-2010 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: guess we can't say beetch

Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If not, don't move in and ***** and moan about it later. Do some research.
I just want to point out that the complaint by the person who ressurrected this old thread was deleted because he used the specific name of the builder/HOA president. His problem was that he bought into an HOA with the promise there would be a pool, clubhouse and other community features, but none have been built.

He said that it has gotten so bad the township has intervened and demanded that the developer/HOA build these community features by a specific deadline. I don't know about you, but I would be angry if I bought into an HOA neighborhood and lived there for years without getting the promised features I was paying to have.

The post was informative. I learned that I should never buy into an HOA development that is in the process of being developed. Only buy when the features are already in place because there are no guarantees that the features will exist in the future.

All the research in the world wouldn't help someone know that promised features wouldn't be built within a reasonable time period.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I didn't see the original post, and to be honest, I would NEVER move into an HOA until it's about 30% built and the common areas are completed. And, never move into one with a pool, a money pit like you wouldn't believe. More and more HOAs are going with basics, a sign, maybe a tot lot, but not much else.

Again, Ms Hopes, do some research.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:01 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I didn't see the original post, and to be honest, I would NEVER move into an HOA until it's about 30% built and the common areas are completed. And, never move into one with a pool, a money pit like you wouldn't believe. More and more HOAs are going with basics, a sign, maybe a tot lot, but not much else.

Again, Ms Hopes, do some research.

This was the original point of my post. I was trying to warn the original poster not to take the HOA and the small set of rules included with it too lightly. I didn't want to get in to a shouting match with Redball, who apparently loves to be a sheep in is own home. As for the rest of us free spirits, we'll avoid the dogs, pigs, and their HOA boards.

Just to clarify, my HOA CC&Rs really aren't bad. The problem is the CAI company that was hired to run the place by the developer. They basically made up rules that had no basis in reality and were well outside the HOA guidelines. Thankfully they were fired this year after the home owners took over.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just want to point out that the complaint by the person who ressurrected this old thread was deleted because he used the specific name of the builder/HOA president. His problem was that he bought into an HOA with the promise there would be a pool, clubhouse and other community features, but none have been built.

He said that it has gotten so bad the township has intervened and demanded that the developer/HOA build these community features by a specific deadline. I don't know about you, but I would be angry if I bought into an HOA neighborhood and lived there for years without getting the promised features I was paying to have.

The post was informative. I learned that I should never buy into an HOA development that is in the process of being developed. Only buy when the features are already in place because there are no guarantees that the features will exist in the future.

All the research in the world wouldn't help someone know that promised features wouldn't be built within a reasonable time period.
Our policy is to delete posts like these when they come from new members (this was his 1st post), even if they seem informative. It's a common tactic used by trolls and disgruntled clients to bash a company, and since we have no way of verifying whether that's true, it has been decided that in cases like this, it's better to err on the side of caution.
Yac.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,816 times
Default "holier than thou" Heartland Homes

My experience with the "holier than thou" Heartland Homes is not good at all. If you want to build your house with a local builder, trust me, you would be better off by not going with Heartland. They are very good at getting your money, but that does not mean they will deliver a "Quality" home as they promised for your hard-earned dollars. The workmanship is questionable at the best - there were issues that we found right after we moved in! When we requested for fix up, our request was simply handled by very rude and rough fashion !! I totally agree with the other homebuyers on this board - Buyer Be Aware is all I can say. This is the builder will for sure amaze you with the lousy work, greedy thirst for the maximum profit, and of course - the "holier than thou" attitude.

They are not a jewel in this business for Pittsburgh, they are in fact, quite the opposite!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 AM

92 posts, read 145,766 times
I wonder what may happen to these neighborhoods after they have aged 80-100 years like other hoods around the city...

Will they hold up? will they be abandoned as our culture shifts from the ex-burbs back into a more central minded living style... sometimes I drive through these new development areas and imagine a scene of boarded up houses and junked up streets caused by the exact same things that brought our urban centers down...."sub"urban flight

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,316 times
Has anyone experienced Heartland saying there was another buyer in an upcoming transaction when no buyer actually existed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh