Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,014,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I never blamed the victim. Also you stated, "Quit apologizing for criminals with a badge." Notice you said criminals (plural) with a badge. Why the "s" as if this was the norm.

She was innocent, but why didn't they believe her? That was my point bringing up she was 19 and pregnant and wondering what kind of person she was to have doctors, nurses and others questioning her? It is a very odd story. I mean you don't even go through with the rape kit? That is really wild stuff. Was she putting on the brakes? Was the policeman so convinced he didn't want to be wrong, so he eliminated the test to prove himself correct no matter what? Is this whole thing a scam? Really, this one is wild.
Curtis, there is a 60+ page appeals court decision out there that answers all this and more, easy to find. In legalese, it eviscerates everything Evanson did, and more. Every single thing is detailed in terms of his lies, intimidations, his nonexistent detective skills, and really, an outright disregard for others. He is horrific. As for the nurses and such, she got **** for rejecting counseling. On no planet is that cause to doubt a rape victim, EVER. But we live in a culture that lives to demean rape victims and to excuse rape, so it isn't surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,722,335 times
no surprises yet, except "normal rape victim"

does that mean she was or wasn't dressed like she was "asking for it"?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,014,088 times
I don't think it was how she was dressed that came into it. Presumably she was in a uniform or something appropriate for work. I think it was because of classism. If you read the appeals court opinion (which is novel length), one of the cop's arguments for going forward with the charges was that she and her boyfriend had a hundred something in cash for a deposit towards renting a place to live, which happened to be a trailer. Having a small amount of cash to do something with when you're lower income means you're a criminal now. If I had to guess, ye old detective of Cranberry came in with a judgment towards a lower income woman working at a gas station and found his reasons to build upon those prejudices as he went along (the drug accusations, the living in a trailer, etc).

Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 PM

15,646 posts, read 26,345,843 times
What really surprises me? In this day and age WHY WASN'T THERE A VIDEO? Even if he had taken her into a back room for the rape, the robbery would have been there on tape. He grabbed the money from the till.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:38 AM

225 posts, read 300,625 times
I'm glad it turned out she wasn't lying about being raped (Well...not in that she actually was raped... you know what, there's probably no good way to phrase that.) because a false accusation can hurt a reputation just as bad as if you were convicted.

I don't bother visiting my old social circle when I go back to my hometown anymore after an ex-girlfriend (who would practically force herself on me when she was in the mood) told everyone I raped her to get back at me for breaking up with her and half the people we both knew still believe her, despite her constantly talking about our sex life, as she never recanted.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 AM

461 posts, read 750,773 times
PB&J, that's terrible; I am sorry that she had lied and tarnished your reputation so badly. I think that her rational for doing so is just as complicated as a rapist's rationale, and with similar damage to the victim. Women who do this make me just as sick as men who rape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
I'm glad it turned out she wasn't lying about being raped (Well...not in that she actually was raped... you know what, there's probably no good way to phrase that.) because a false accusation can hurt a reputation just as bad as if you were convicted.

I don't bother visiting my old social circle when I go back to my hometown anymore after an ex-girlfriend (who would practically force herself on me when she was in the mood) told everyone I raped her to get back at me for breaking up with her and half the people we both knew still believe her, despite her constantly talking about our sex life, as she never recanted.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:18 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,064,913 times
Just one detective couldn't get away with being so incompetent; the Butler County DA was complicit and also should be held accountable. But that's up to the voters in both Cranberry Township and Butler County. Considering that they produce the likes of Daryl Metcalfe, there isn't much hope for them.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,624,769 times
some very bad police work done here.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,723,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post

Look, people keep bring this up but it is irrelevant. I think "victims" that make false allegations against others should face jail time equal to what would have been imposed if the person was convicted. The difference in this case is they didn't even have a suspect and didn't bother to look for one. It's not like she named someone and they investigated, only to not pursue it. She had a description of an attacker and that's it. That was the whole problem with the case. They never did any real investigation at all. This is just as bad as cops and prosecutors who take a "victims" word for it and prosecute someone with no investigation or evidence.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 AM

225 posts, read 300,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Look, people keep bring this up but it is irrelevant. I think "victims" that make false allegations against others should face jail time equal to what would have been imposed if the person was convicted. The difference in this case is they didn't even have a suspect and didn't bother to look for one. It's not like she named someone and they investigated, only to not pursue it. She had a description of an attacker and that's it. That was the whole problem with the case. They never did any real investigation at all. This is just as bad as cops and prosecutors who take a "victims" word for it and prosecute someone with no investigation or evidence.
I'm not... sure what you're responding to, at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh