Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post
Many people in Youngstown, Ohio are the same way; it may well be a rust belt thing.
I blame a huge part of the stagnant thinking on the working-class Catholicism, and particularly the Eastern Europe and Mediterranean branches of it. It needs conformity. It still tries to cast everyone into the same outdated and rigid gender-appropriate molds. (Wink, wink, nod, nod to the defunct metallurgical industries.) I had to quit dating a guy from Pittsburgh a few years ago because his Catholicism started driving me around the bend, with all the "you should" and "you need to" and "here, take these books home and read about what makes a good marriage," etc. SO much heaviness and misey, all the dam time, lol.

I still have no desire to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, or do other crayzee hobbies like that, haha. But as a non-mother and now a divorced woman (It's okay; I am fully resigned to going to Hades. I'll know a lot of the people down there.) who likes cars, trucks computers, architecture, and science and technology, finds motherhood and homemaker chores boring and too confining, I constantly run up against the societal disapproval here. If you people think Pittsburgh is stodgy and boring, don't ever come to the Shenango or Mahoning Valleys, because we're just positively still stuck in the early '50s here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
I don't really think this is a city specific problem. Maybe you just need to make some new friends?
That would be my advice too. I've been in Pgh most of my life and that's now how I live... The people that I know aren't really like that either. Maybe the OP needs to meet different people? Where does the OP live?

I do ask "why..." when it comes to suggestions like "let's go to dinner at Olive Garden and shopping at TJ Max" or "let's sit in our cars and slowly drive through Hartwood Acres to look at lights that advertise for Rite Aid and UPMC" or "Let's be the first people to get the new doo-dad at Best Buy on Black Friday."

If somebody wanted to go for a hike in a park in the snow or cross country ski in Hartwood Acres or bike to the west end overlook or eat Ethopian food or go to an art gallery in Garfield or go to a play downtown, my question would be "When?" not "Why?"

Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
The fact is there are a lot of people out there and they are free to be as worthless as they want. They're free to take the easy route and be the local foreseeable norm and live it out using just enough of their intelligence to cover up the fact they live in a fashion that merely knee jerk reacts to core animal type requirements. It's up to you to be what you want, find who you want to be around, and move out of a **** hole if it's a **** hole.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
I do ask "why..." when it comes to suggestions like "let's go to dinner at Olive Garden and shopping at TJ Max" or "let's sit in our cars and slowly drive through Hartwood Acres to look at lights that advertise for Rite Aid and UPMC" or "Let's be the first people to get the new doo-dad at Best Buy on Black Friday."

If somebody wanted to go for a hike in a park in the snow or cross country ski in Hartwood Acres or bike to the west end overlook or eat Ethopian food or go to an art gallery in Garfield or go to a play downtown, my question would be "When?" not "Why?"
Isn't questioning (& obviously casting in a negative light) the 1st set of examples being equally close minded to other's preferences which are not your own?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Isn't questioning (& obviously casting in a negative light) the 1st set of examples being equally close minded to other's preferences which are not your own?
Yes, I was thinking that was perhaps his point?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
But as a non-mother and now a divorced woman (It's okay; I am fully resigned to going to Hades. I'll know a lot of the people down there.) who likes cars, trucks computers, architecture, and science and technology, finds motherhood and homemaker chores boring and too confining, I constantly run up against the societal disapproval here. If you people think Pittsburgh is stodgy and boring, don't ever come to the Shenango or Mahoning Valleys, because we're just positively still stuck in the early '50s here.
Can a stay-at-home mom not have interests or hobbies beyond taking care of her family and home? Just because someone has made the decision to dedicate her time and efforts to raising her kids and taking care of hearth and home doesn't make her some brain dead two-dimensional character from a '50s sitcom.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I think it's a midwestern thing.
No, there are people like that everywhere. Not necessarily the majority or anything, but you can find people like that everywhere, in other countries, etc. Karl Pilkington has made an entire career out of being made fun of by his friend Ricky Gervais for having what is called a "little England" attitude - not interested in travelling, not interested in learning about new and out of the box things and cultures, and so on.

I'm not all that different. I'm not adventurous and don't like going out much at all. Of course, I wouldn't ever ask someone why they'd want to do something different, I'd ask them more about their experiences instead, since that's what a polite person would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
This is why it is great to go away for school. It seems to me that the majority of kids around here attend local colleges, which seems weird to me. While getting an education is important, college is about striking out in the world and exploring what else is out there.
A pretty privileged attitude. College can be about "exploring" and "striking out" as soon as it's free. Otherwise, some people need to stay close to home to their safety net and focus on their education so that they can even get that education at all. It's frigging expensive, and it's a harsh world out there.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:03 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
This is why it is great to go away for school. It seems to me that the majority of kids around here attend local colleges, which seems weird to me. While getting an education is important, college is about striking out in the world and exploring what else is out there.
Why would most kids leave the Pittsbrugh area for college when there are so many around here? I didn't want to leave Pittsburgh for college because it's expensive, I'm happy here, and most of my friends and family are here.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:10 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
No because I've experiences those things and they arent my idea of fun.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Why would most kids leave the Pittsbrugh area for college when there are so many around here? I didn't want to leave Pittsburgh for college because it's expensive, I'm happy here, and most of my friends and family are here.
I personally believe that no matter where you're from, if at all possible, you should aim to attend college elsewhere. There are even more high-quality colleges and universities in Philadelphia, but I went to Pitt because I was tired of the same-old and wanted to experience something new. I'm glad I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh