Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,653,055 times

Advertisements

When looking at schools don't dismiss the ones with middle of the pack test scores. Typically those schools have a mix of kids. If you can find stats that break out kids who aren't on the subsidized lunch program you'll often find that they score at the top of the pack. Personally, I think it's good for kids to go to school with kids from a variety of economic, racial, and ethnic backgrounds. That said, I'm a newcomer to the area and have no first hand knowledge of the schools in the areas the OP is considering. My kids went to an absolutely wonderful school that had good, but not great, test scores. At least 40% of the kids were English language learners. The teachers were fantastic, tremendous parental involvement, and a real sense of community. I always encourage parents to tour the school and visit the classrooms to find out first hand if the school lives up to its reputation. My kids' school looked ok on paper, but if you visited it, you'd discover it was a hidden gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's in the good school feeder. I'd live there. It's better than living in Swissvale due to the Woodland Hills School problem.

I'm not going to tear down North Point Breeze for its proximity to Homewood. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend a house in Friendship and it's close to Garfield. Her children would be safe playing in the yard.

It is a great house, isn't it?
Really cool house. I'd look at it if I was still in the market for a home.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,184,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
When looking at schools don't dismiss the ones with middle of the pack test scores. Typically those schools have a mix of kids. If you can find stats that break out kids who aren't on the subsidized lunch program you'll often find that they score at the top of the pack. Personally, I think it's good for kids to go to school with kids from a variety of economic, racial, and ethnic backgrounds. That said, I'm a newcomer to the area and have no first hand knowledge of the schools in the areas the OP is considering. My kids went to an absolutely wonderful school that had good, but not great, test scores. At least 40% of the kids were English language learners. The teachers were fantastic, tremendous parental involvement, and a real sense of community. I always encourage parents to tour the school and visit the classrooms to find out first hand if the school lives up to its reputation. My kids' school looked ok on paper, but if you visited it, you'd discover it was a hidden gem.
That might apply in the suburbs for this metro region, but not the city schools here. The good school feeder in the East End does have a very diverse economic, racial, and ethic backgrounds. It's the only good feeder in the city school system that has direct bus service to Oakland.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,914,294 times
Quote:
It is a great house, isn't it?
Quote:
Really cool house. I'd look at it if I was still in the market for a home.
I wonder whether, if SCR and Mr. SCR put their monies together, they could afford it.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I wonder whether, if SCR and Mr. SCR put their monies together, they could afford it.
I think SCR is still looking for something well under $50k. I've been trying to encourage him to consider $50k - $100k. Not sure if he's gotten an agent or been pre-approved yet.

I think that house would be absolutely beautiful if renovated.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,588,734 times
Quote:
I think SCR is still looking for something well under $50k. I've been trying to encourage him to consider $50k - $100k. Not sure if he's gotten an agent or been pre-approved yet.

I think that house would be absolutely beautiful if renovated.
I think I've heard people in the area claim they've heard gunshots from points east, and a lot of newcomers when they want a "safe" area (as opposed to all of us who enjoy living on the edge) they really want an area that feels "safe" for a six block radius in any direction. Hamilton Ave makes some people kind of jumpy. I'd live in that area for that price, no prob.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,544,687 times
Quote:
I deleted that post because I realized it was probably on the wrong side of Penn Avenue for someone with children.

Here it is: Point Breeze Real Estate - 7140 McPherson Blvd, Point Breeze, PA, 15208

It's amazing how much house you can buy with just a few blocks difference.
I agree it is has nice bones and a big house. It is really expensive to renovate a big house. A kitchen, and then all of those baths. Hopefully, the windows and furnace are okay.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,075,666 times
Quote:
I deleted that post because I realized it was probably on the wrong side of Penn Avenue for someone with children.

Here it is: Point Breeze Real Estate - 7140 McPherson Blvd, Point Breeze, PA, 15208

It's amazing how much house you can buy with just a few blocks difference.
The "wrong side" thing comes from a few things I think.

1. Outdated ideas about the area having bad schools - everywhere but Pennfield Court goes to Colfax or Minadeo for elementary, and feeds to Allderdice.

2. The idea that those blocks are unsafe. I've looked up Point Breeze North crime rates, and while higher than say Squirrel Hill South or Greenfield, they are identical to Regent Square and lower than Shadyside, which are two neighborhoods more frequently offered as places for families to live. And it's a lot safer than the trendy areas not often suggested for families, like Central North Side, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Polish Hill, South Side, etc.

3. The assumption because the majority of the population is black it must be at least a semi-ghetto. The area is whitening now, particularly the first few blocks near the intersection of Fifth and Penn.

It is true that all of Point Breeze North is only 1-4 blocks from Homewood. However, the busway and a rail line separate the two, and only three roads (Fifth, Dallas, and Homewood) actually cross the gap. Anyone who wants to make serious mayhem isn't going to think much about crossing Penn and walking five blocks if they've already walked four.

I do have to say, if I lived there, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable using the Homewood bus station however, despite it being convenient. I'd have to feel it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
North Point Breeze and Park Place are not as nice as South Point Breeze, Sq. Hill or Regent Square. In the eyes of some they are still transitional neighborhoods.
Yes, but honestly, the OP is at a transitional price, provided they want a house of size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
From memory, aren't you the poster that likes North Point Breeze but your wife won't move there because she doesn't like it?
Yep. A big plus for me is we do our weekly shopping at the East End Co-Op. She doesn't like it because it's not walkable and mixed-use like Lawrenceville, and it feels too suburban. Yet she'd willingly move to Greenfield.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,914,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
She doesn't like it because it's not walkable and mixed-use like Lawrenceville, and it feels too suburban. Yet she'd willingly move to Greenfield.
Tell her you found a house on on Welfer Street, then drop her off at Murray and Welfer and see if she'd like walking up that hill every day. It looks like a 45-degree angle, and feels worse.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,075,666 times
This is really far down Beechwood, in the nigh-unwalkable part of Squirrel Hill, but I like the look of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh