Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Oh, I wanted to add this, I don't know if you are black or not but what you will notice is that they rarely hire native black Pittsburghers to certain positions, the few that you see come from somewhere else
Well I was hired as an automotive technician over the phone for this dealership. I doubt he knows my ethnicity because I sound white over the phone...

Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Don't you live in Youngstown or some such place? How much worse do you suppose racism and race relations are in a city in essentially the same region with essentially the same culture, customs, social norms, etc? If I'm wrong or confused about where you live, disregard. If I'm right, then you can expect much of the same in Pittsburgh, only it's bigger and nicer.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I don't think things are *that* drastic. Don't get too worked up about it before anything has even happened. There's definitely the "too many black people are moving in" type thoughts among some people in some neighborhoods, but that is common all over the US. Where exactly are you planning to live? The city itself? If so I would suggest living in the lower north side (Manchester, Allegheny West, Mexican War Streets, and Deutschtown). That area is nice for many reasons, and it's also pretty racially diverse by Pittsburgh standards, without any racial tensions in the neighborhood.

I'm white and have been in an interracial relationship for about 6 years now and haven't had a single negative experience related to race. Not many positive ones either, most people look at it as a non-issue (or keep their thoughts to themselves), which is how I prefer it.

Outside of the real old timers and some lower-class/rural areas, you won't really experience much outright racism, if any at all.
Well I live in pretty racist and segragated area right now. I live in ct and they have instutionalized racism.
Like another poster said you will not see blacks in high positions and most live in the poor parts of Hartford.

My job is located in Uniontown PA...is there any places around there that aren't racist?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburghfan View Post
My husband is purely Mexican of heritage and he was worried about the possible racism he might experience when we moved here. To my knowledge he has faced no racism since he has been here. I suspect that since he is a native English speaker he is accepted. My gut tells me that people that are culturally different may have a more difficult time.
Have you notice the very large Latino community in Pittsburgh? Sorry I was being sarcastic, he should not have any probelms.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Hi Curtis,

As much as I hate to agree with you Pittsburgh is very racist, but not extreme. This is coming from someone who have spent 20 years living in Pittsburgh and 5 in Georgia and other places in the south. What you noticed in Pittsburgh is covert racism, meaning that the people pretend to like blacks and other ethnic groups ini public (in their faces) but as soon as they are with like-minded people the racism comes out. This type of racism also manifest itself through employment opportunities. For instance, native black Pittsburghers rarely occupy any high level positions in UPMC, PNC, or the VA Hospital all places that I have inside knowledge of.

You notice that there is some inter-racial dating but if you look closely it occurs only in certain areas and not usually with the blessings of the parents. You have also noticed that certain suburbs blacks as well as other minorities are scarce, Murrysville, Brentwood and Upper St Clair comes to mind. Normally, areas are divided by economic means but even well-off blacks living in economically equal areas still experience racism. The really odd thing about it is whenever you confront someone regarding racism they get highly defensive so be careful who you talk to regarding it.

I always believe that the racism in Pittsburgh is due to it having one of the oldest populations in the country and that being Pittsburgh was one of the most segregated cities in the north where the blacks where congregated in very few places like the Hill District, New Kensington and Garfield and woe to him that wanders into areas like Morningside.

My wife and I, had an opportunity to return but happily declined because we could not find a place in Pittsburgh where there was genuine racial diversity and we both were raised there.
Well I can not turn back. My job is in Uniontown Pa.. and it has white demographic of 76%.

I didn't think it was too bad.

Is there any areas where I should try to get an apartment without dealing with too much racism around my job.

I just want to advance in my career, make my money (honestly) and proceed to the next stage in life.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Don't you live in Youngstown or some such place? How much worse do you suppose racism and race relations are in a city in essentially the same region with essentially the same culture, customs, social norms, etc? If I'm wrong or confused about where you live, disregard. If I'm right, then you can expect much of the same in Pittsburgh, only it's bigger and nicer.
I live in Windsor ct right now out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Last edited by Veyron; 01-26-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Then yeah, I'm confused.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Well I was hired as an automotive technician over the phone for this dealership. I doubt he knows my ethnicity because I sound white over the phone...
I only speak from personal experience. When I got out of the AF the first time I went back home to the Hill. I applied to various hospitals since administration is what I did in the military----No dice. I decided to go back to school (State College) after a year there I applied to those same places with the same resume except my State College address and was hired at Shadyside. Btw, I don't sound black either

Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I moved to Erie and I thought the same thing, nope racism in Erie is not as bad as Pittsburgh. Like I said before it is because there are more old racist there than other places in the region.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I only speak from personal experience. When I got out of the AF the first time I went back home to the Hill. I applied to various hospitals since administration is what I did in the military----No dice. I decided to go back to school (State College) after a year there I applied to those same places with the same resume except my State College address and was hired at Shadyside. Btw, I don't sound black either

They said the demand for automotive technicians is high so I'm banking on that.

I need to also make as many black friends as possible....

I'm on my own. No family, no friends no network. My friends are 8 hrs away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh