Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:41 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times

Advertisements

I've visited Pittsburgh on a number of occasions and I was very intrigued by the layout of the area, the hills and all. People seem friendly and down-to-earth, in a eastern sort of way. I like the state of Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful state. I rarely read anything however about the racial climate in the 'Burgh. Cleveland, Buffalo, Philadelphia are considered among the most racially segregated cities in the country, what about Pittsburgh?

Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,762 times
I think it is very segregated. When I moved here, I was shocked at the segregation. I wouldn't say people are racist, but many have stereotypes and are not afraid to talk about them.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Racism isn't a problem in Pittsburgh like other areas of the country. That's why you don't read about it. Pittsburgh might be segregated, but that's been changing. Neighborhoods are becoming more diversified without incident. I have a girlfriend who is from California. She talks all the time about diversity there, but she also shares how strained things are between the people in California (riots, hate crimes, etc.). Pittsburgh's diverisity is blending slowly which has brought natural acceptance in a calm manner. Tollerance is the word. Most Pittsburghers, regardless of race, have tollerance for one another.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 AM

255 posts, read 1,094,333 times
Cool Pittsburgh's Integration

From what I've seen, there are very few black people in Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, etc.

The only way Pittsburgh is integrated in those areas is the Asian population. I see many people from India, Japan, China, etc.

As far as black and white goes though, I really don't see many black people in Pittsburgh's "nicer" areas when I bike and walk around, which I do quite a bit.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
From what I've seen, there are very few black people in Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, etc.
This is true, but I believe this is more of a socio-economical problem. Pittsburgh doesn't have an extraordinarily high black population, and an even lower black population that could be considered white-collar (which is unfortunate). BUT, the point remains, I seriously doubt if a black couple wanted to and had the economic backing to move to these areas, that there would be riots or hate crimes. lol. I believe the neighbors would be quite accepting and welcoming.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
It seems that there are very few blacks or other minorities in the suburbs. Racial data is available on City-Data.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
This is true, but I believe this is more of a socio-economical problem. Pittsburgh doesn't have an extraordinarily high black population, and an even lower black population that could be considered white-collar (which is unfortunate).
You've nailed it, boylocke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
BUT, the point remains, I seriously doubt if a black couple wanted to and had the economic backing to move to these areas, that there would be riots or hate crimes. lol. I believe the neighbors would be quite accepting and welcoming.
I completely agree, boylocke.

The number of black families have been increasing in my neighborhood. They have been accepted and welcomed. There have been no incidents whatsoever.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:49 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,652 times
From what I hear black people from other cities say is that Pittsburgh doesen't have a strong tradition of an established black middle class like
Atlanta,Chicago,New York or Philadelphia.. So I think the segregation is more economic than racial...Just my perception but I think that the poor white population is distributed in the general population than in pockets like the poor black population..but there is a small black middle class population in this
city..

Now when people say segregation in Pittsburgh compared to other cities do they mean socially?...I think the main issue in Western Pa. you have a tradition of self-contained working class neighborhoods who haven't been used to dealing with immigrants and diverse type of people since the 1900s..
and this type of environment breeds stereotypes..( I know people who live is Mckees Rocks who make stereotypical comments like "most people who go to Pitt are Jewish followed by Asian and the rest are regular people")...like huh??

So the issue in this region of the country is lack of exposure to various types of people in general..not so much overt racism but covert racism possibly as
in (just because Pittsbrughers are friendly doesn't nececessarily mean they like you..they can be diplomatic about it, someone actually told me this is how
they were raised "always smile so the other person dosen't know where you are coming from"...So I would say from experience,Pittsburghers are friendly people and respectable but a lot of actions here are due to ignorance not hatred eventhough you are always have a small group of misrable people everywhere who have to be bigots and hate..

Old 08-11-2007, 10:00 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,652 times
I agree with boylocke its more of a class-thing..eventhough there was an incident in the Hays section some years (4?) when a black family moved in
but I don't know what type of neighborhood Hays is as far as class and education level..

Old 08-11-2007, 10:27 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
I think the main issue in Western Pa. you have a tradition of self-contained working class neighborhoods who haven't been used to dealing with immigrants and diverse type of people since the 1900s..
and this type of environment breeds stereotypes..( I know people who live is Mckees Rocks who make stereotypical comments like "most people who go to Pitt are Jewish followed by Asian and the rest are regular people")...like huh??

This is consistent with my experience. When my parents were growing up, a mixed marriage was one between an Irish Catholic and an Italian Catholic. There were separate Catholic parishes in my mom's neighborhood in Lawrenceville for the Irish, Polish, and Italians. The Jews lived in Squirrel Hill, the blacks lived on the North Side and the Hill District. Those patterns have been much slower to change in Pittsburgh than in other cities. My parents' neighborhood in Ross is still almost entirely white, even though the houses are very affordable. I have heard MANY people in my parents' generation in Pittsburgh make racist comments about blacks, Jews, and Asians, and I attribute most of this bigotry to a simple lack of exposure to other racial and ethnic groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh