Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen87 View Post
my next door neighbors had a fit because we use to have pit bulls at the time. they tried to call cys and the town cops and everything else to try to get us to move out. so im trying not to make the same mistake because i would be buying instead of renting.
Hello Bully should know about breed-specific legislation all over W. Pa.

Last edited by jay5835; 02-12-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM

480 posts, read 611,712 times
Stay away from there

Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,371 times
Just curious, but what is drawing you to Monessen since both of your jobs are at home? Do you have kids that are school aged? Do you need to be in that Mon-Valley area? I can think of tons of places better than Monessen.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Depends on what you are looking for. Pros: Monessen is historic, extremely affordable, and probably reasonably safe. Cons: It's kind of out there, the economy is depressed, and the town is in ruins.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Monessen is sort of a dumpy town, even for its bargain basement price.

There are a lot of small towns that are just about as cheap which didn't fall so far so quickly, so they aren't nearly as dilapitated.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Depends on what you are looking for. Pros: Monessen is historic, extremely affordable, and probably reasonably safe. Cons: It's kind of out there, the economy is depressed, and the town is in ruins.
I've never been to Monessen, but doesn't "the town is in ruins" kind of trump your pros?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've never been to Monessen, but doesn't "the town is in ruins" kind of trump your pros?
I don't think so. I can think of several city neighborhoods that are in much worse shape than Monessen that people champion on this forum (*cough* HAZELWOOD *cough*).

Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Here is my photo tour of downtown Monessen:

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Monessen, PA

Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Here is my photo tour of downtown Monessen:

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Monessen, PA
That was downright depressing. I know you look at this stuff and see the beauty of (I think) what could be, or what once was, but all I see is what is never coming back. It's sadder than Springsteen's "My Hometown" and Billy Joel's "Allentown" put together.

The NJ town I grew up in changed demographically and ethnically, but it's still a viable community in which the streets are filled with stores and businesses. It's not the upscale place I knew as a child, but it's nothing like this. Downtown Monessen is even sadder than I imagined.

Thank you for posting the photos, nonetheless.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
That was downright depressing. I know you look at this stuff and see the beauty of (I think) what could be, or what once was, but all I see is what is never coming back.
It doesn't depress me, but I have a different way of looking at things. I like places like Monessen for the same reasons people like western ghost towns. The emptiness, the decay, the urban wilds are actually beautiful. I don't think everything has to be sparkling clean and restored to be beautiful. I actually find places like Beaver Falls much more interesting than, say, Sewickley, which has been completely polished and restored to an inch of its life. Places like Beaver Falls or Brownsville or Monessen just have character, which is something you lose when you gentrify or restore an area. However, I am always for revitalization and restoration, because otherwise the built environment will be lost due to demolition.

I really think people need to get away from the mentality that everything has to look brand new or be leveled for a parking lot.

And why do all of these towns have to "come back"? Maybe they are more interesting now than in any chapter of their past. A Starbucks on the corner and a Trader Joe's and upscale apartments don't make a place interesting to me.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 02-13-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh