Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM

17 posts, read 26,047 times

Advertisements

While reading through this forum it has really struck me how little I know and I've seen of Pittsburgh, and as a 32 year resident that's just sad, really. So I've been thinking of visiting a new local town every week or two, spending some time exploring it's "Highlights", so to say. Sadly, as my intro indicates, I feel I know so little about the town that I'm not even sure where to go and what to see. This is where you guys come in. If you would feel so inclined to share your thoughts as to what neighborhoods are must-sees, and perhaps share some highlights and especially hidden gems of the area I would be indebted to you forever! I want to finally experience this city! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Although I've been to Lawrenceville many times visiting friends throughout the years, and I drive through it and stop occasionally at stores, I want to walk the entire length of Butler Street one day when the weather is nice. It has changed so much and is still continually changing. I want to experience every bit of it slowly. So, that's my first recommendation.

It will be easier for us to make recommendations for you if you share with us where you have been.

If you decide to do South Side, do it in the afternoon. It's dead in the mornings.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:55 AM

17 posts, read 26,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It will be easier for us to make recommendations for you if you share with us where you have been.
Thanks, Hopes! Lawrenceville has been on my list! Let's see, I've spent time in Oakland, but really only around the Pitt campus, Shadyside but pretty much only around Walnut St., the strip but only to the bars, Station square, some of Mt. Washington, a lot of the south hills but am open to suggestions, I've been to all of the amusement parks, and I've lived in the Turtle Creek/Monroeville area so I already know there's nothing to see here. Kidding, but not really. lol! I've been to many of the museums but I know exhibits are always changing, that's another entirely separate goal!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
Here are some general routes that I have enjoyed and some things to possibly check out:

Mexican War Streets: Jacksonia St to Buena Vista St - Google Maps
-West Park
-Community gardens between Arch & Sheraden
-Cool Alleyways (cats near N Taylor & Mimosa Way!)
-Buena Vista Coffee
-Views of Downtown from West Park
-Mattress Factory art museum
-Monterey Pub

East Allegheny / Central Northside: Federal St to Federal St - Google Maps
-Homes on Presley, Lockhart, and Avery
-Mansions along Cedar Ave
-Priory
-James Street Pub
-Verdetto's
-Alleyways on the East Side of the highway
-Old, old houses
-New houses along Federal
-Pawn shops along East Ohio
-Park

Downtown: Centre Ave to Centre Ave - Google Maps
-Fourth Avenue
-Market Square
-City-County Building
-Free ride on the T to shorten part of the route
-Old highrise buildings along Penn & Liberty

South Oakland: Bigelow Blvd to Forbes Ave - Google Maps
-Taco stand along Atwood
-City stairs / Diulius Way (really neat old timey section)
-Park along boundary street
-University buildings
-Remaining section of Forbes Field wall & home plate (inside Posvar Hall)

Shadyside: Shady Ave to Unknown road - Google Maps
-Mansions
-Ellsworth, Walnut Street, and Highland Ave Business Districts
-Alleyways & narrow streets around Bellefont and Walnut

Regent Square / Park Place: S Braddock Ave to Forbes Ave - Google Maps
-Homes and tress along East End, Savannah, and Mifflin
-Biddle's Escape coffee
-Braddock Ave business district
-Antique store on Braddock Ave

Last edited by ML North; 03-13-2013 at 07:14 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagen View Post
Thanks, Hopes! Lawrenceville has been on my list! Let's see, I've spent time in Oakland, but really only around the Pitt campus, Shadyside but pretty much only around Walnut St., the strip but only to the bars, Station square, some of Mt. Washington, a lot of the south hills but am open to suggestions, I've been to all of the amusement parks, and I've lived in the Turtle Creek/Monroeville area so I already know there's nothing to see here. Kidding, but not really. lol! I've been to many of the museums but I know exhibits are always changing, that's another entirely separate goal!
You haven't been to the strip district for shopping? You have to go on a wekeend morning (preferably in nice weather) to get the full effect.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
I guess the two areas I would hit first would be the Strip and then Sq. Hill. From there, I would probably walk around Sewickley. Then I might walk from Station Square to the South Side Works and back. Perhaps, walk from Regent Square to Frick Park and back. Also, it would be nice to explore Schenley Park.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Although I've been to Lawrenceville many times visiting friends throughout the years, and I drive through it and stop occasionally at stores, I want to walk the entire length of Butler Street one day when the weather is nice. It has changed so much and is still continually changing. I want to experience every bit of it slowly. So, that's my first recommendation.
I wholeheartedly recommend this. I just picked up some food for us at Industry, and I noticed that there are now two large construction sites in progress just above Doughboy Square along Butler Street in addition to a bunch of new shops and restaurants. We've prized our proximity to Lawrenceville, even if we are being gradually priced out, ironically, by this "progress" we cherish. The other day I walked from my home to the North Side and explored. On my next day off I'm going to walk all around Lawrenceville.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 AM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
Quote:
I want to walk the entire length of Butler Street one day when the weather is nice.
On a similar note, one of my favorite date nights ever was doing an early dinner at Cafe du Jour (Carson & 11th), then walking down Carson Street to the then-Joseph Beth bookstore (Carson & 27th), grabbing some coffee as we walked and stopping by Edward Marc on the way back. Great people watching -- really pleasant on a nice day.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times
I recommend biking around the city, it is really the perfect way to explore a bunch of neighborhoods in a single day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh