Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's also the hypothesis of stereotype threat. Essentially we internalize stereotypes about what we can achieve, and these cause us to fail at things we have the capacity to do. Studies have shown, for example, that you can lower the test score of blacks on aptitude tests by making them check off their race on the exam before it begins. Similar results have been found for other groups, such as women involving math aptitude tests. This helps explain why adopted black children fall behind later (they eventually realize they are black, and blacks aren't supposed to be as smart as whites), and why German biracial kids didn't score any different from their classmates - they were not raised within a culture where they were expected to underachieve.
Related to this is that there are numerous studies out there that show teachers tend to have lower expectations for black students, particularly at higher grade levels, and they can tell. Here's one example: https://www.tcrecord.org/library/abs...ontentid=16469 Most of these teachers probably aren't even self-aware that they're guilty of it. It's one of many reasons I always shake my head when certain people talk about racism being dead as an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Related to this is that there are numerous studies out there that show teachers tend to have lower expectations for black students, particularly at higher grade levels, and they can tell. Here's one example: https://www.tcrecord.org/library/abs...ontentid=16469 Most of these teachers probably aren't even self-aware that they're guilty of it. It's one of many reasons I always shake my head when certain people talk about racism being dead as an issue.
I think what you're describing better meets the description of prejudice than racism. The teachers aren't full of hate or preaching superiority/inferiority of a race. Maybe that's a little pedantic, but I think it's a difference worth noting. Sometimes people get hung up on words, especially emotionally charged ones like "racism."

Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I think what you're describing better meets the description of prejudice than racism. The teachers aren't full of hate or preaching superiority/inferiority of a race. Maybe that's a little pedantic, but I think it's a difference worth noting. Sometimes people get hung up on words, especially emotionally charged ones like "racism."
Nope, it's racism. How other people fly off the handle over the word isn't my concern.

Quote:
rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
Overt hatred is not a required part of the definition of racism.

If looking at a black child makes one, on whatever level, inherently have lower intellectual and academic expectations for that child, and one treats them in a way that reflects that, that's racism. Treating generations of black kids in the classroom as though they are inferior is more dangerous than overtly preaching it because a light can be shone upon the latter, while the former gets ignored. This is the kind of racism that is far more relevant today than the cross-burning and lynching type. It is widespread and it is institutionalized. Everywhere.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Nope, it's racism. How other people fly off the handle over the word isn't my concern.

Overt hatred is not a required part of the definition of racism.

If looking at a black child makes one, on whatever level, inherently have lower intellectual and academic expectations for that child, and one treats them in a way that reflects that, that's racism. Treating generations of black kids in the classroom as though they are inferior is more dangerous than overtly preaching it because a light can be shone upon the latter, while the former gets ignored. This is the kind of racism that is far more relevant today than the cross-burning and lynching type. It is widespread and it is institutionalized. Everywhere.

Quote:
rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
I don't think it's entirely inaccurate to call what you're talking about "racism", I just don't think it's as accurate of a term as prejudice. Even the definition you quoted says that it usually involves "the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others," which is unlikely to be the case for most teachers.

Accusations of "racism" are met with skepticism and/or defensiveness. That's why I think it's better to use a word like "prejudice", especially when it's the more apt term for the situation. It helps avoid silly asides like this that distract from the real issue.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Another possibility is environmental concerns. Black mothers are still far less likely to breast feed, for example, and the effect of breast versus formula feeding on intelligence is strong enough that a third of the gap could be accounted for in this alone. This may be the reason why biracial children who have a black mother tend to score more poorly than those who have a white mother.
As much as I am an advocate of breast feeding, and breast fed my own kids until 20-23 months respectively, I'd like to see a link for the above.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As much as I am an advocate of breast feeding, and breast fed my own kids until 20-23 months respectively, I'd like to see a link for the above.
Science Daily -- Breastfeeding Breastfeeding Associated With Increased Intelligence, Study Suggests

What boggles my mind is why are fewer black mothers breastfeeding? There's a higher percentage of poverty in that group and breastfeeding is free?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What boggles my mind is why are fewer black mothers breastfeeding? There's a higher percentage of poverty in that group and breastfeeding is free.
I don't know why, but I suspect that whatever it is, it's the same reason that the poor eat more processed and packaged food, even though fresh food is cheaper, or exercise less, even though exercise is (or at least certainly can be) free.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I don't think it's entirely inaccurate to call what you're talking about "racism", I just don't think it's as accurate of a term as prejudice. Even the definition you quoted says that it usually involves "the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others," which is unlikely to be the case for most teachers.

Accusations of "racism" are met with skepticism and/or defensiveness. That's why I think it's better to use a word like "prejudice", especially when it's the more apt term for the situation. It helps avoid silly asides like this that distract from the real issue.
Agree to disagree. If I go up to someone and tell them (based on evidence etc) that they are prejudiced against their black students [because they inherently don't think they're as capable as white students, which is the basis of what is going on], I don't believe it'll go over any better than telling them they are racist, even if they are doing whatever it is without self-awareness. It comes down to the exact same thing. They think less of black kids.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Science Daily -- Breastfeeding Breastfeeding Associated With Increased Intelligence, Study Suggests

What boggles my mind is why are fewer black mothers breastfeeding? There's a higher percentage of poverty in that group and breastfeeding is free?
Teaching Black Women To Embrace Breast-Feeding : NPR

Why Don

Why are black women less likely to breastfeed? | Life and style | The Guardian

There's lack of clarity on the issue. Depends on the individual, but formula marketing, ignorance about the importance, ignorance about how it changes the body, and sexual hang-ups seem like common reasons that come up repeatedly.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Agree to disagree. If I go up to someone and tell them (based on evidence etc) that they are prejudiced against their black students [because they inherently don't think they're as capable as white students, which is the basis of what is going on], I don't believe it'll go over any better than telling them they are racist, even if they are doing whatever it is without self-awareness. It comes down to the exact same thing. They think less of black kids.
What if they are cutting their students breaks with compassion? I had a professor who was like this and one of my black classmates called him to task over it. He gave her a perfect grade on a paper. She turned in a draft instead of a final because she was busy with work and family obligations to finish it. It had no citations, no bibliography. It was a mess. I remember vividly when she confronted him about her grade because I was with her. She told him she didn't want him going easy for her because the real world wouldn't give her breaks, and she wanted to be prepared when she graduated. Nobody would have accused this professor of being racist. He is the nicest guy in the world to everyone. His wife of many years is black. His courses were heavily designed to inspire and motivate black students. But in essence, he meets the criteria of your definition of a racist because he didn't demand as much from his black students. So, I think you're painting a very broad brush with your definition of a racist teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh