Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
I was actually just back in Penn Hills recently. I visited some graves in Mount Carmel Cemetery in the west end of Penn Hills. I drove all over the west end. Lincoln Park is absolutely blighted, however it looked that way when I lived there. I was pleasently surprised at how well I thought the LongVue Manor area of Penn Hills (Mount Carmel Road, Grove Road, Orlan, Urban, Eastwood, Suncrest, Aber, Thon, etc.) looked. That area seems to have been kept up reasonably well, although there were a few crappy homes here and there.

The area that I think looks the worst is the area around the old Swanson's Drug Store in Laketon Heights. The homes in that area were never anything great to begin with, but they have been really let go. The Frankstown artery really looks slummy, especially the old Ritzland Shopping Center.

I drove through Penn Hills Park, Crescent Hills, and the Crescent Gardens neighborhoods and they all looked really nice. The streets off of Saltsburg looked pretty good too.

It's really hit and miss with Penn Hills. Some streets look great. Other streets look bad. There are a ton of homes for sale in Penn Hills. The "We Buy Houses" signs were on every telephone post. The school district is awful. Nobody with children would want to move there, which prevents longterm home ownership and investment.
You can thank sec 8 for the blighted areas of Penn Hills. I grew up in a section of PH they used to refer to as Scenic heights, slightly west of Rosedale off of Verona road. It includes Riverview, Riverside, and Outlook drive, these were great areas to grow up/live in and still are. My brother and son still live on Outlook drive, and as far as I know, it is void of sec 8 scum and the trouble it brings. The entire area is surrounded by woods and I spent many hours playing in the woods as a kid. In those days, Lincoln Park area was the only area that was considered bad and was not as bad back then as it is today. The obvious issues with the bad areas are sec 8, stay away from those areas and you will be fine. I don't know why people who are pretty much given a house for free are bent on destroying an entire area. If I owned rental property anywhere, I would refuse to rent to sec 8. Oh! and BTW, the map of PH crime areas presented, is spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:02 PM

51 posts, read 74,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You can thank sec 8 for the blighted areas of Penn Hills. I grew up in a section of PH they used to refer to as Scenic heights, slightly west of Rosedale off of Verona road. It includes Riverview, Riverside, and Outlook drive, these were great areas to grow up/live in and still are. My brother and son still live on Outlook drive, and as far as I know, it is void of sec 8 scum and the trouble it brings. The entire area is surrounded by woods and I spent many hours playing in the woods as a kid. In those days, Lincoln Park area was the only area that was considered bad and was not as bad back then as it is today. The obvious issues with the bad areas are sec 8, stay away from those areas and you will be fine. I don't know why people who are pretty much given a house for free are bent on destroying an entire area. If I owned rental property anywhere, I would refuse to rent to sec 8. Oh! and BTW, the map of PH crime areas presented, is spot on.
Most people who are renting out houses and apartments love the section 8 program now.It is steady money and recent changes within that program puts it in a higher standard. Years ago people on section 8 could tear the hell out of your property and have no one to answer to. Now if they tear up your property either they pay to get it fixed or they get kicked off the program.. Where I reside at now the section 8 properties get inspected by section 8 reps yearly I do not know if they are under the same guidelines in Pa though.. I am looking for a cheap place to buy in the Pittsburgh area but I still think Penn Hills is not going to be on my list..

Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 918 times
Does anyone have an updated version of the map posted above or any info on if the Creekview Garden Townhomes in Verona is a safe area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh