Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPPT232 View Post
A handle of George Dickle Whiskey in Pgh = $36

A handle of George Dickle Whiskey in Ft. Myers, FL at a Winn Dixie = $25.50

We can only hope to getting out of this stranglehold

Glenlivet PA $82.99
Glenlivet FL $54.00!

Please get rid of this crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Glenlivet PA $82.99
Glenlivet FL $54.00!

Please get rid of this crap!
How much of that is due to tax rather than state store overhead?

Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
As are their union backers. They basically admitted what this SS system is, which is a jobs program for otherwise unemployable union hacks. Of that, and the sky will be falling because there will be a liquor store on every corner and middle school kids will be dying from binge drinking thanks to private sales.
So there you have it.It`s all about union busting and putting 3,000 people out of work so the taxpayer`s can give them unemployment and food stamps. Speaking of which,the Walmart employees that will be selling liquor already collect food stamps.It`s a shame that there`s so much envy of those with good jobs.Envy,of course,is one of the 7 deadly sins.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:45 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
So there you have it.It`s all about union busting and putting 3,000 people out of work so the taxpayer`s can give them unemployment and food stamps.
No. It's about getting rid of an unnecessary & archaic way of operating things. If the only compelling reason you can give for the continued operation of the state store system is to keep a handful of people employed by the state then you might want to re-examine your stance on the issue.

Given this logic the state should have never shuttered its telegraph offices & continue to employ people there for the sake of providing jobs rather then putting those poor people out of work.

Last edited by UKyank; 03-23-2013 at 05:59 AM..

Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 AM

62 posts, read 142,359 times
Why is the assumption that the new owners will fire everyone that works in the stores today and will pay minimum wage? Some of the employees do have special skills that are valuable and desirable (deeper knowledge and understanding of wine for example).

Unfortunately, the selection of wine in most state stores is sub-par at best... I'm really hoping that by having the state get out of business they do not understand, nor are they the best to operate it, we can finally get some good, speciality stores.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
No. It's about getting rid of an unnecessary & archaic way of operating things. If the only compelling reason you can give for the continued operation of the state store system is to keep a handful of people employed by the state then you might want to re-examine your stance on the issue.

Given this logic the state should have never shuttered its telegraph offices & continue to employ people there for the sake of providing jobs rather then putting those poor people out of work.
I say,if it ain`t broke,don`t fix it.I doubt very much if Giant Eagle,Walmart or Sheetz will carry the kind of inventory that the State Stores do.The profits are returned to the state`s general fund instead of the Shapira and Walton family`s pockets.I can envision asking the tatooed employee with the ring in his nose what kind of wine is good with your turkey dinner..."it`s all good dude". I like stores with well dressed knowledgable employees who make enough money that we don`t have to provide them with Medicaid and Food stamps.I can`t help it if I`m old school and I like to see people making a living wage.Your telegraph office analogy is weak at best.Those offices weren`t returning money to the state and they were eliminated by technology,not greed.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I say,if it ain`t broke,don`t fix it.I doubt very much if Giant Eagle,Walmart or Sheetz will carry the kind of inventory that the State Stores do.The profits are returned to the state`s general fund instead of the Shapira and Walton family`s pockets.I can envision asking the tatooed employee with the ring in his nose what kind of wine is good with your turkey dinner..."it`s all good dude". I like stores with well dressed knowledgable employees who make enough money that we don`t have to provide them with Medicaid and Food stamps.I can`t help it if I`m old school and I like to see people making a living wage.Your telegraph office analogy is weak at best.Those offices weren`t returning money to the state and they were eliminated by technology,not greed.

I don't see this as a "greed" issue at all, but simply making things more convenient for the consumer- a lifestyle issue.

People can pickup their fifth of gin at the same place they buy their ciggies and granola and toilet paper and hotdogs.

Back in the 1960's, Pittsburgh supermarkets didn't offer deli counters or pharmacies, now they do and now they want to offer booze. Wal-mart is successful because you can buy so many different items under a single roof. That's the trend, not forcing consumers to go to multiple stores to take care of their shopping needs. Liquor stores are a anachronism.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
OMG, your sense of union entitlement is oozing out of this post. Why don't you demand that the state seize some bank accounts while you're add it.

The State Store system was founded by Gov. Pinchot, who was a hardline advocate for temperance, but was forced by the General Assembly to come up with a way to sell booze in Pennsylvania.

Pinchot's innovative mind came up with the state store system, to make it a bit difficult for folks to buy liquor in PA.

I think a lot of the true believers in Pinchot's system only had their epiphany when Act 195 was passed in 1970, unionizing the state employees.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojan View Post
Why is the assumption that the new owners will fire everyone that works in the stores today and will pay minimum wage? Some of the employees do have special skills that are valuable and desirable (deeper knowledge and understanding of wine for example).
I pretty much only shop at the superstores with greater selection. And I have yet to experience what you mention.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 AM

PLCB mission is to make liquor sales as "inconvenient and expensive as possible" according to its founder, Gifford Pinchot.

I think its succeeded in accomplishing its goal, but I think its time to refocus.

The union argument isn't worth much, the UFCW or other unions will certainly be able to solicit Walmart or other employers to sign union contracts, Giant Eagle already has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh