Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times

Advertisements

...now into the Senate
Pennsylvania House votes to privatize liquor stores - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Democrat reps are looking really bad on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
...now into the Senate
Pennsylvania House votes to privatize liquor stores - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As are their union backers. They basically admitted what this SS system is, which is a jobs program for otherwise unemployable union hacks. Of that, and the sky will be falling because there will be a liquor store on every corner and middle school kids will be dying from binge drinking thanks to private sales.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
As are their union backers. They basically admitted what this SS system is, which is a jobs program for otherwise unemployable union hacks. Of that, and the sky will be falling because there will be a liquor store on every corner and middle school kids will be dying from binge drinking thanks to private sales.
Seriously if they were saying this bill isn't the best way of going about a privatization process our alternative bill here is the better route then I could see their point.

Instead though our democrat reps wasted the day harping on about rampant drunk driving, underage drinking & lost state store jobs & other social ills that are sure to befall the state if it dares allow private liquor sales during the floor debate.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Free the beer

Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
They are indeed. In several respects, the PA Democratic Party is as backward and outdated as Tammany Hall, and this is a vivid illustration of how and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
As are their union backers. They basically admitted what this SS system is, which is a jobs program for otherwise unemployable union hacks.
And in this state in particular, where the party's championship of the cause of working people has such a noble history, this is a particularly bitter and misguided failure.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Free the beer
This bill does nothing for beer, which is why UKyank is certain right about how the Democrats could have argued for a better privatization bill if they had actually wanted to.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Free the beer
It's already a watered down bill that does nothing to free the beer unfortunately.

And now we'll have the senate wreck it some more. But maybe we'll end up with something. Who knows. Anything would be a start.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
This bill does nothing for beer, which is why UKyank is certain right about how the Democrats could have argued for a better privatization bill if they had actually wanted to.
Well I guess I will still be buying mine in Ohio then

Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
I can't decide if the beer distributors were left out as part of a reasonable political strategy (i.e. not wanting to **** off every special interest at once) or just part of the usual Republican acceptance of government-created monopolies so long as the profits don't go to labor.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
I live in PA, I'm a Democrat and I'm all for liquor store privatization.
Comparatively to the overwhelming majority of the rest of the country the current system is both strange and unique in a very negative way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh