Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 18,734 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Pittsburgh in the upcoming months. I'm looking at a townhouse to rent in the area of 4000 Beechwood Blvd. What is this area like (safety, proximity to food shopping, traffic)? I'll be heading to Allegheny General Hospital everyday for work. Any input would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2pitts View Post
I'm relocating to Pittsburgh in the upcoming months. I'm looking at a townhouse to rent in the area of 4000 Beechwood Blvd. What is this area like (safety, proximity to food shopping, traffic)? I'll be heading to Allegheny General Hospital everyday for work. Any input would be great. Thanks!
It has quite a lot of traffic as it is right by the Parkway and Beechwood itself there is used mainly to access the Parkway. It may be hard to pull out of the driveway at rush hour, especially in the evening. It's probably really loud if you are on the Parkway side of Beechwood. It's a safe area, but there isn't much within a reasonable walk but a small strip mall, a few other businesses, and Hough's. Lots of things are close (Greenfield Giant Eagle, Squirrel Hill business district, Oakland), but not in what most people would consider a walking distance.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
It's in a not particularly walkable part of Squirrel Hill, on the border of Greenfield. You'll want to drive to everything, but nothing is that far away, except for your job. It's a mile to the Greenfield Giant Eagle. You're right near the Parkway East, which will make driving to work convenient, as you won't have to drive through town and you avoid the Squirrel Hill Tunnel.

Depending on which side of Beechwood you're on, the sound of cars may drown out all kinds of other noise. I have a friend who lives overlooking the Parkway, and she keeps the windows closed because of the smog. She can still hear the sound of cars, though. I find it a nice sound. YMMV.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Wow! I didn't realize that little stretch of road was part of Beechwood Boulevard. It's in Greenfield IMO and not a farther walk to the Greenfield business district than a majority of Greenfield. I'll focus on the positives since Moby covered the negatives. It's very close to Schenley Park. It's in one of the convenient location of Greenfield for accessing Schenley Park and walking to Oakland through the park. Even though it's just a shopping center, there's two of them and they're only two blocks away. There's a Subway, Pizza Hut and Brusters, convenience store, and lord knows what else. They're not vacant businesses. Even though that's not a hot business district, the OP could do worse and live somewhere there's absolutely nothing within walking distance. It's definitely safe and there are many shopping and restaurant options within mere minutes via car. In addition to business districts Moby mentioned, the Waterfront is just down the hill and across the river with all the typical chain stores like Marshalls, Target and a few outlet stores.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a Subway, Pizza Hut and Brusters, convenience store, and lord knows what else.
Brusters is gone. Subway, Pizza Hut (carry out only), dog grooming, optical shop, tanning parlor, Chinese restaurant, laundromat, something about breast feeding/kids. I think there maybe some kind of doctor in there still, but I can't remember. There is another local pizza place across the street.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM

That really isn't a bad walk to the Squirrel Hill South business district on Murray Avenue. I have a friend who lives on Pocusset Street and it's a nice walk to Murray Avenue. The 4000 block of Beechwood is only a few blocks from the Greenfield Bridge into Schenley and Pocusset street is right on the other side. It's not the most convenient as some other places to neighborhood business districts, but this is a great location for someone who likes to walk or jog or ride bikes and the OP could easily find something much less walkable than this.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Brusters is gone. Subway, Pizza Hut (carry out only), dog grooming, optical shop, tanning parlor, Chinese restaurant, laundromat, something about breast feeding/kids. I think there maybe some kind of doctor in there still, but I can't remember. There is another local pizza place across the street.
That's something. We're always recommending Greenfield to people who want lower rent. The people who live in Greenfield up on the hill ((and most of Greenfield is up the hill and towards the river) don't have any businesses nearby. This is one of the few level locations in Greenfield too. I really don't think this is a bad location for the OP if the rent is good.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
That really isn't a bad walk to the Squirrel Hill South business district on Murray Avenue.
It's uphill most of the way. Two separate friends who lived on Alderson used to take the bus a lot, just to get to the top of the hill.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 PM

540 posts, read 868,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
There is another local pizza place across the street.
Rialto's is the pizza shop across the street.

The location is also very close to the Magee playground, ball field, and city pool.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
That really isn't a bad walk to the Squirrel Hill South business district on Murray Avenue. I have a friend who lives on Pocusset Street and it's a nice walk to Murray Avenue.
It isn't far, but there is a stretch of Pocusset before you get to the part with houses that is tree-lined, curved, without a sidewalk, and with very little shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh