Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times

Advertisements

I desperately need to get back into shape. A few weeks ago I decided to do something about it. I wanted a YMCA with a pool. Turns out there's no YMCA in or very close to Crafton. The nearest one west of Crafton didn't have a pool so I looked east to the Allegheny YMCA and the Thelma Lovette YMCA, both a bit under 10 miles from my house. The Allegheny YMCA is on West North Ave. It was built in the 1920s and is showing its age. Everyone there was very friendly, but the pool was claustrophobic and street parking was problematic. I was concerned that I wouldn't be motivated to go because of those factors. I then went to see the Thelma Lovette YMCA. It's on the edge of the Hill District on Centre Ave very close to downtown. The building is one year old this month. The pool is HUGE. I joined immediately. I went for the second time today and the pool had double the number of people in it than my first visit, me and a guy swimming laps. On my first visit I was the only one in the pool for my entire workout. Both times I went at lunchtime. They tell me it's busier early in the morning and after work. If you live or work anywhere around there and want to swim at lunchtime, you can't beat this YMCA. The exercise equipment doesn't seem too crowded at that time of day either. Plenty of free street parking. Friendly people too. When I went in the locker room today a woman said to me "welcome to our YMCA, thank you for coming."

I belonged to a YMCA about a mile from my home in San Francisco. Also very friendly, but the pool was half as big as the one here. I would go after work and have to wait to get in the pool because it was so crowded that the lifeguards would make you wait until someone got out before you could get in. The difference is night and day.

I wanted to give my new YMCA a shout out so I went to their Facebook page and discovered that they have a campaign to fund their computer center for young people in the neighborhood. It seems like a very good cause.

Here's an article on the program: Pittsburgh Connect Hilltop Computer Center helps overcome the digital divide for youngsters - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Here's the link to the campaign: Help Keep the Doors of the YMCA Hilltop Computer Center Open | Indiegogo

Anyway, the point of my post is that people don't seem to be aware of this great new YMCA in Pittsburgh. I'm here to tell you to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Edge of the Hill District? That is in the heart of the Hill. It will take a lot of work to get people from outside the neighborhood to go there. It is located on a block that for many years was the absolute epicenter for drug sales in the Pittsburgh region. They had built a brand new Y downtown about 25 years ago, and it had a pool. Unfortunately, they sold the building to Point Park U, and moved the Y into the old GC Murphy building. I'm assuming there is no pool there.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
When I first moved to Pittsburgh I relied heavily upon the Carnegie Library in the heart of the Hill District for job-hunting and printing off resumes. I've always been curious about the Y in the Hill District, and I'm glad to see it get a positive nod from a fellow non-neighborhood resident. Thanks for the review, Julie!

Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
The PNC Y downtown (3 years old) DOES in fact have a pool. Must have missed that one in your search. Although parking there might also be difficult/expensive perhaps, although there is some metered street parking nearby. PNC Y is near Market Square on 5th Ave.

The "Hilltop" neighborhoods are south of the Mon River, not the Hill District. Think Knoxville, Allentown, Mt Oliver, etc. The programs you're linking to are not out of the YMCA you're talking about. Still worthy stuff but just to be clear.

And yeah, 2114 Centre is hardly the "edge" of the Hill! LOL That's pretty far into it. It's been a while since I drove through so I couldn't remember where they were building this. The downtown one is closer but may be more crowded and harder to park. That said, I'm not sure I personally would have a concern going to the Hill one in the middle of the day.

Last edited by greg42; 04-04-2013 at 05:03 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The PNC Y downtown (3 years old) DOES in fact have a pool. Must have missed that one in your search. Although parking there might also be difficult/expensive perhaps, although there is some metered street parking nearby. PNC Y is near Market Square on 5th Ave.

The "Hilltop" neighborhoods are south of the Mon River, not the Hill District. Think Knoxville, Allentown, Mt Oliver, etc. The programs you're linking to are not out of the YMCA you're talking about. Still worthy stuff but just to be clear.

And yeah, 2114 Centre is hardly the "edge" of the Hill! LOL That's pretty far into it. It's been a while since I drove through so I couldn't remember where they were building this. The downtown one is closer but may be more crowded and harder to park. That said, I'm not sure I personally would have a concern going to the Hill one in the middle of the day.
Thanks for clarifying the location for me. As a newcomer, I don't know where I am most of the time. The reason I thought it was on the "edge" is that since I'm coming from the west I drive past all the high-rises and head up the hill past what looks like new housing and not much else before I'm at the YMCA. Coming from the west the streets that seem sketchy are east of the Y. I haven't been there at night, but during the day I'ver parked in front and gone inside. Never felt unsafe at all.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Thanks for clarifying the location for me. As a newcomer, I don't know where I am most of the time. The reason I thought it was on the "edge" is that since I'm coming from the west I drive past all the high-rises and head up the hill past what looks like new housing and not much else before I'm at the YMCA. Coming from the west the streets that seem sketchy are east of the Y. I haven't been there at night, but during the day I'ver parked in front and gone inside. Never felt unsafe at all.
Yeah, the western half of the Hill has pretty much been stripped clean. The Hill used to be built up all the way to Downtown. Urban renewal, the 1968 riots, and the abandonment and decay that followed, has pretty much stripped the western half of the Hill of all of it's structures.

The Hill as it was prior to 1955.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Yeah, the western half of the Hill has pretty much been stripped clean. The Hill used to be built up all the way to Downtown. Urban renewal, the 1968 riots, and the abandonment and decay that followed, has pretty much stripped the western half of the Hill of all of it's structures.

The Hill as it was prior to 1955.
Holy cow, it really has changed! I thought that was the case because it goes from downtown to vacant lots mixed with new construction pretty quickly. I figured it must have looked more like the streets east of the Y at one time. In fact I have to get off this forum and head over for my lunchtime swim soon. I still can't believe I have a brand new pool all to myself. The only drawback is that one of my reasons for joining was to meet locals. Hard to do when you're the only one there! It really is a couple minutes from downtown with easy parking. Perfect for a lunchtime or before or after work workout.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I went for the second time today and the pool had double the number of people in it than my first visit, me and a guy swimming laps.

... they have a campaign to fund their computer center for young people in the neighborhood. It seems like a very good cause.

Here's an article on the program: Pittsburgh Connect Hilltop Computer Center helps overcome the digital divide for youngsters - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Here's the link to the campaign: Help Keep the Doors of the YMCA Hilltop Computer Center Open | Indiegogo
Yesterday the number of people in the pool tripled to three as compared to a few days ago. I guess I can handle the crowds. BTW, I've lost 5 lbs!!!

Please check out the campaign to fund their computer center and donate if you can.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Quote:
Yesterday the number of people in the pool tripled to three as compared to a few days ago. I guess I can handle the crowds. BTW, I've lost 5 lbs!!!

Please check out the campaign to fund their computer center and donate if you can.
As a frequent battler of the buldge myself -- way to go!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
As a frequent battler of the buldge myself -- way to go!
I have a long way to go, but at least I'm headed in the right direction. I have to get my cholesterol down so I can get health insurance. No one will insure me until it's below 200 or the pre-existing condition law kicks in, whichever comes first. Either way I need to get healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh