Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,592,453 times

Advertisements

Report: Upscale Discount Retailers, Restaurant Coming To Northway Mall « CBS Pittsburgh

Plans are to add a Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off 5th and a Maggiano's Little Italy restaurant to Northway Mall. Looks like this will serve to turn the mall into a new concept similar to the Streets of Woodfield project in suburban Chicago (www.shopthestreetsofwoodfield.com) that is not currently represented in the North Hills or anywhere else in the Pittsburgh market. I have a feeling that they will also add an entertainment component to the project such as a Dave and Busters or some other type of facility as well as additional restaurants such as Red Robin and Bonefish Grill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 05:06 AM

598 posts, read 748,469 times
Very good news and a sign of economic stability of the neighborhood. There were many places for them to choose from around Pittsburgh.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
im glad this hasnt been left for dead. i used to enjoy Northway because i thought it was quicker to get to, and easier to get in and out.

those businesses arent prevalent, too, adding some good choices. Im hoping Maggiano's is a worthy destination, too - i had never eaten there.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,188,061 times
Great news. Hopefully they will spend some money to beautify the exterior and improve the traffic flow/parking lots.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
That's interesting. I guess Saks Off 5th can be closer to the city now that there's not a regular Saks. I wouldn't have thought they'd put Nordstrom Rack just up the road from regular Nordstrom, but they spoke on record for the story saying people like to shop both so I guess that is part of their strategy. Plus there's the presence of Stein Mart across the road too, putting that all in proximity. Many of those folks might shop all of them.

The building(s) is still kind of crazy though. I wonder how much of it they might tear down or try to reconfigure. The Dick's is supposed to be moving up the road to McCandless Crossing if I remember right. It seems as if they might benefit from tearing most of the old mall down, although the hill makes it such that they might lose space if they do too much of that. Plus, they'd probably have to move Petsmart because it's in the middle. I don't think Petsmart has plans to move elsewhere, not that I've seen anyway. I mean, overall, it's a good traffic area with good visibility on that lower side facing McKnight.

They won't be adding Bonefish Grill to Northway because that is going to McCandless Crossing. But Maggiano's would be a first for the Pittsburgh market. It'll be a good draw. It's typically a large facility and fairly elaborate buildout if I understand right, along the lines of Cheesecake Factory. They won't be adding a movie theater because Cinemark is going to McCandless Crossing. But additional restaurants would make sense. They should skip Red Robin and go right to Burgatory.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
If you read the original source it does suggest more of a replacement of buildings I think. Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off 5th, Maggiano's coming to Northway? - Pittsburgh Business Times

That probably makes more sense, although it could take longer.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I'm excited about this! I hope they fill in between the big stores with independent specialty shops.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,961,359 times
Great news for the North Hills. Currently my wife travels to the Nordstrom Rack @ Potomac Mills in the DC area. You can find great deals there. Nordstrom Rack and Nordstrom are really two distinct experiences though.i knew the Rack would eventually arrive but could not imagine it locating in the same district.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Im hoping Maggiano's is a worthy destination, too - i had never eaten there.
If it's like the one down our way, you'll be quite pleased.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times
It seems this is all just a "plan" or speculation at this point, but I hope it turns out as planned. I have been wanting a Maggiano's to come to the area for quite awhile, and I think it would do well near the North Hills communities and for the Ross Park Mall crowd.

Maybe this place will set up in the Northway plan, as well: BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse scouting Pittsburgh for locations - Pittsburgh Business Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh